U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,589,786 times

Advertisements

Put some baking soda on your finger and then put it on the canker sore. It will shrink the sore for a little while.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 09:02 PM

89 posts, read 355,246 times
I ususally get these mouth sores when I eat highly acidic foods (tomatoes, pickles, etc) and when I eat lots of salty junk food (french fries). Lysine has always worked for me. Take Lysine tablets (1 tablet per day or per manufacturer's instructions, the tablets are found at any pharmacy) when you first feel yourself getting one of these sores. Lysine is an amino acid the body needs to get from your diet and for some reason, it has always worked to get rid of the chancher sores quickly and easily. I'm not sure why it works, but Lysine is also found in nutritious amounts in Spinach and some other green leafy vegetables (iceberg lettuce does not count). My grandma actually told me about the Lysine and then when I asked my Dr. about another chanker sore issue a couple years later, she also told me to take some Lysine that can be bought over the counter.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 PM

211 posts, read 917,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessizadorable View Post
I ususally get these mouth sores when I eat highly acidic foods (tomatoes, pickles, etc) and when I eat lots of salty junk food (french fries). Lysine has always worked for me. Take Lysine tablets (1 tablet per day or per manufacturer's instructions, the tablets are found at any pharmacy) when you first feel yourself getting one of these sores. Lysine is an amino acid the body needs to get from your diet and for some reason, it has always worked to get rid of the chancher sores quickly and easily. I'm not sure why it works, but Lysine is also found in nutritious amounts in Spinach and some other green leafy vegetables (iceberg lettuce does not count). My grandma actually told me about the Lysine and then when I asked my Dr. about another chanker sore issue a couple years later, she also told me to take some Lysine that can be bought over the counter.
I swear by Lysine as well. I used to get chronic cold sores on the lips of my mouth. I know junk food (ones with a lot of additives) and chocolate are main contributors (lethicin in Chocolate and other junk foods is a main culpret). I find I react more to Hershey's and semi-sweet.

A naturalpath told me to take Lysine. . . not the junk kind . . . get the good ones at the Vitamin Shoppe. Make sure it has no yeast or sugar in it!!!

I take two as soon as I feel it coming on. (500mg each). I swear I don't get them anymore. Basically, your body's chemistry is off when you get them, and Lysine helps balance it again. I also don't eat lot of junk food anymore . . . very limited.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:58 PM

279 posts, read 1,741,825 times
canker sores are another symptom of Celiacs disease that gets explained away. Google it and see if you have any other symptoms.

I have heard that chewing up raw garlic will take away the pain.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 PM

756 posts, read 2,369,681 times
mouth sores = herpes simplex I

Old 02-07-2008, 07:20 AM

999 posts, read 2,987,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
mouth sores = herpes simplex I
Canker sores are not the same as cold sores of the herpes variety.

Canker sores can come from eating a certain type of food (i.e. acid, sweet), some type of irritant (braces), being ill, and sometimes for no obvious reason at all. I have found that if I eat too many peanuts or tomato-based foods it will result in a canker sore. Some people just seem to get them more than others; I have one daughter who is prone to them, but no one else in the family is. I have tried many remedies, but one thing I have learned is that they will go away in about a week, no matter how you treat them. Rinsing your mouth several times a day with salt water with a few drops of peroxide added was recommended to me by my dentist. I also found a prepared mouthwash called Peroxyl (over the counter) that helps. Any type of numbing agent is great to apply before you eat. The webMD article cited in a previous post is great to read if you haven't done so yet.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,391 times
Default You Are Both Right

Cancer Sores are simply an irritation caused by your immune system. They can be caused by viruses or just by an auto-immunce reaction. Most of you are right, they are the same as sores in your stomach or colon, the tissue is similar. Stomach infections are commonly a bacteria called A. Pilori. The ones in your mouth are usually a viral infection, and can be a form of herpes virus, although this DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE THE STD. They can also be caused by a common cold virus.

The way to prevent these sores is to know your virus. Peanuts are high in Arginine, an amino acid that is required for herpes replication. So, eating foods rich in arganine might make the outbreak worse. This argument is not universally accepted, but the herpes virus does use a number of arginines in its proteins. I personally find that an outbreak of a dormant or otherwise benign virus comes after I eat too many acidic foods, but this is anecdotal.

Lysine is an amino acid used by your immune system, and a deficiency in this amino acid results in a weakened immune system (I wish I had a paper to cite here). This amino acid is found in meat and dairy, but suppliments work to boost your immune system IF you are deficient in the amino acid.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,969,104 times
Great explanation Jo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Latex allergies can also bring them about. If you tend to get them a day or so after a visit to the dentist you may want to tell them about it and they can change over to non-latex gloves, dental dams etc when they work on you. Latex allergies are on the upswing (for whatever reason). I used to always have that problem after a dental visit but never made the connection until the day after some major dental work (using a dental dam). The day after the dental appointment, during the time it took to fly from Seattle to Puerto Vallarta on vacation I developed probably 17-18 such sores on my tongue and gums and by the time I arrived I could hardly talk. Thankfully they have plenty of tequila in Mexico.

Anyway, when I returned I mentioned it to my dentist and he suggested that they avoid latex when working on me and since then I've had zero problems. I've since come to find out that it's a fairly common problem - especially among dental health care workers.

Ken

There was something on the news a couple of nights ago, about the latex gloves (from China) tainted with bacteria. Under the microscope, they found small insects imbedded in the finger tip parts. Nice huh?

I think? the laws may have relaxed in Canada in the last few years, but not long ago, we could not obtain lysine. The health food stores would keep it under the counter out of sight and the only way they could bring it into the country, was if it was a 'combo' of something .. containing lysine.

So you could get a combo of 90% lysine with a few other items.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 PM

655 posts, read 756,887 times
Most canker sores in and around the mouth are caused by form of the herpes simplex virus. People like to relate many other causes for them, but fact is, it is a form of herpes. About 30% of the population have the virus dormant in their system. Stress and other nutritional deficiencies can cause them to flare up.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,969,104 times
I thought I read somewhere, that there are over sixty different herpes viruses.

Does anyone know this to be true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness