Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:06 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,516 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what cause canker sores in your mouth.Specifically the inside of your lower lip.Does anyone know how to get rid of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:41 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
They are ulcers caused by bacteria. Place a black tea bag (if possible) on the sore several times a day.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:23 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,516 times
what kind of bacteria?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM

436 posts, read 809,905 times
Rinse your mouth with a salt water solution. Although annoying, they will go away. If you need medication, Kenalog in Orobase is good for them, but it is by prescription only. If the sores persist, you need to have them checked out.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
When I was young my dentist informed me these were due to a depletion of the acidopholus culture in your stomach. If you eat a lot of foods with tomato sauce then you can often destroy the culture. You can buy active acidopholus in capsule form OTC in the pharmacy section of your grocery store, or you can buy milk and yogurt with active cultures. I suffered from these almost persistently until I started taking those capsules and they went away in just a few days. You don't need to take them forever but you may need to watch your diet some.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Latex allergies can also bring them about. If you tend to get them a day or so after a visit to the dentist you may want to tell them about it and they can change over to non-latex gloves, dental dams etc when they work on you. Latex allergies are on the upswing (for whatever reason). I used to always have that problem after a dental visit but never made the connection until the day after some major dental work (using a dental dam). The day after the dental appointment, during the time it took to fly from Seattle to Puerto Vallarta on vacation I developed probably 17-18 such sores on my tongue and gums and by the time I arrived I could hardly talk. Thankfully they have plenty of tequila in Mexico.

Anyway, when I returned I mentioned it to my dentist and he suggested that they avoid latex when working on me and since then I've had zero problems. I've since come to find out that it's a fairly common problem - especially among dental health care workers.

Ken

Old 01-07-2008, 03:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I read somewhere that eating raw spinach helps, and it's always worked for me.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
The only time i ever get Canker Sores are when i eat junk / fast food. Probably the junk carbs down regulating the Immune System. Try swishing Peroxide in your mouth to heal them although when i eat clean after junk food they always clear up on their own within a couple of days.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
what kind of bacteria?
Same one that culcers ulcers in your stomach. Your body is generally well equipped to fight this bacteria, but since your immune system is weakened with stress, it's no coincidence that's when ulcers and canker sores come about. Saltwater does help too and so does applying toothpaste to the sore.

From WebMD:

Dental Health: Canker Sores

Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Same one that culcers ulcers in your stomach. Your body is generally well equipped to fight this bacteria, but since your immune system is weakened with stress, it's no coincidence that's when ulcers and canker sores come about. Saltwater does help too and so does applying toothpaste to the sore.

From WebMD:

Dental Health: Canker Sores
Ulcers aren't caused by what you eat, but what's eating you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness