Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
While you were in the sauna? How?

How did you know your sodium level had "dropped into the danger level" while you were in the sauna? Did you measure it right then?

If your sodium was "extremely low - on the danger side already", why would you get in the sauna anyway, if you know "when you sweat you lose far more sodium than you lose potassium"?
It was already in the danger level before I started based on analysis of hair sample results presented a day before.

Also, I didn't know I would lose more sweat than potassium before I gotten into the sauna. That is when I studied to figure it out and did more research on hair mineral analysis. Before that I was a hair mineral testing skeptic. It was when I seen my own symptoms how they related to the testing results that I became amazed at how well the analysis was spot on with my symptoms. I became a believer because of its accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 03:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Of COURSE he measured it! He plucked a hair by the root from his scalp and whipped out his trusty microscope right there in the sauna. Then, he added the catalyst agents to the slide, which wouldn't fog up in a sauna because it's an Acme Slide from the Acme Supply company (the same one Wyle E. Coyote uses, only the best for our tretep!), pulverized it with his microscopic-miniature hair-crushing trebuchet, and looked up that bad boy in his Alternative-World Dictionary of Alternative Hair-Diagnosed Supplemental Supplement Alternatives. And right there on page 94klleekekeke71.a, it said, in a booming voice not unlike Charlton Heston, "omg let my ppl go lololol u r 2 much NaCl wtf" and lo, he knew it was done.

Oh btw he went in there in the first place because he knew you'd ask about it, and he did this experiment to prove his point to you. He fortold the future by divining a hair on his left big toe.
No, no, no, no, Anon!

One must clip the hair, not yank it out by the roots! Your collection kit, costing a mere $200 or so, perhaps less if there is a big sale going on, includes the magic scissors you need to do the clipping. Of course, one must send in a precisely measured amount of your hair: a "heaping" tablespoon, no more, no less.

Now you have to ship the sample off. A few days to arrive at the lab, about ten days to get the results ...

Oops, your result is now a couple of weeks old! How do I know what my "ratio" is today?

Oops again! Your results never tell you what your "ratio" is on a given day, it will be an average over many days depending on how long the hair is that you send in and the growth rate of the individual hairs. Uh oh. Hairs do not all grow at the same rate. Some are growing, some are in a resting state, and some are ready to be shed. Even hair close to the scalp is several weeks old.

Then there is the final small problem. There are no valid normal values for minerals in hair. How much sodium is in one's hair does not correlate with how much sodium is in one's body.

Hair mineral analysis! Folks, it's quackery in the finest tradition of quackery!

Commercial Hair Analysis: A Cardinal Sign of Quackery

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It was already in the danger level before I started based on analysis of hair sample results presented a day before.

Also, I didn't know I would lose more sweat than potassium before I gotten into the sauna. That is when I studied to figure it out and did more research on hair mineral analysis. Before that I was a hair mineral testing skeptic. It was when I seen my own symptoms how they related to the testing results that I became amazed at how well the analysis was spot on with my symptoms. I became a believer because of its accuracy.
Accuracy?!

ROFL!

Urban, just ignore him. (The honeyed tea advice is OK. It does soothe a sore throat and help with coughing).

Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times
Hair Mineral Testing. Mine was done through ARL labs. They have the following certifications:

FDA (Food and Drug Administration) FEI 3003644883
DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) RA0230603
EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) OKR000020339
OBNDD (Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs) 24175
Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy 1-W-1291
ISO 17025:2005 A2LA 2992.01

Here is there blurb on Hair Mineral Testing.

Urban, you should look into this.

ARL Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis

It will teach you more about your health than you ever realized you could know.

Here is an example of what they can tell you:

ARL : Basic Ratios and Their Meaning

Don't mind these Drug advocates that are bashing it. They don't even have first hand knowledge of the practice and even quoted a link from a Quackwatch site. Learn more about that here:

De-licensed Stephen Barrett, QuackWatch Founder, Loses in Court-Again (Oct. 20, 2005)

Old 01-22-2015, 05:27 PM

67 posts, read 107,060 times
Quote:
No, no, no, no, Anon!

One must clip the hair, not yank it out by the roots! Your collection kit, costing a mere $200 or so, perhaps less if there is a big sale going on, includes the magic scissors you need to do the clipping. Of course, one must send in a precisely measured amount of your hair: a "heaping" tablespoon, no more, no less.

Now you have to ship the sample off. A few days to arrive at the lab, about ten days to get the results ...

Oops, your result is now a couple of weeks old! How do I know what my "ratio" is today?

Oops again! Your results never tell you what your "ratio" is on a given day, it will be an average over many days depending on how long the hair is that you send in and the growth rate of the individual hairs. Uh oh. Hairs do not all grow at the same rate. Some are growing, some are in a resting state, and some are ready to be shed. Even hair close to the scalp is several weeks old.

Then there is the final small problem. There are no valid normal values for minerals in hair. How much sodium is in one's hair does not correlate with how much sodium is in one's body.

Hair mineral analysis! Folks, it's quackery in the finest tradition of quackery!

Commercial Hair Analysis: A Cardinal Sign of Quackery

Accuracy?!

ROFL!

Urban, just ignore him. (The honeyed tea advice is OK. It does soothe a sore throat and help with coughing).
My runny nose has stopped for the most part. But I am coughing more often and it HURTS my throat like crazy. I am taking mucinex to suppress cough. Is coughing out supposed to make me better eventually? I can barely talk because my throat is hurt from coughing. So sick and tired of this!! And my taste buds are not back yet! Flu has to be the worst thing that can attack a human!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Hair Mineral Testing. Mine was done through ARL labs. They have the following certifications:

FDA (Food and Drug Administration) FEI 3003644883
DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) RA0230603
EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) OKR000020339
OBNDD (Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs) 24175
Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy 1-W-1291
ISO 17025:2005 A2LA 2992.01

Here is there blurb on Hair Mineral Testing.

Urban, you should look into this.

ARL Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis

It will teach you more about your health than you ever realized you could know.

Here is an example of what they can tell you:

ARL : Basic Ratios and Their Meaning

Don't mind these Drug advocates that are bashing it. They don't even have first hand knowledge of the practice and even quoted a link from a Quackwatch site. Learn more about that here:

De-licensed Stephen Barrett, QuackWatch Founder, Loses in Court-Again (Oct. 20, 2005)
A nonsensical attack on Stephen Barrett – Respectful Insolence

Old 01-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_245 View Post
My runny nose has stopped for the most part. But I am coughing more often and it HURTS my throat like crazy. I am taking mucinex to suppress cough. Is coughing out supposed to make me better eventually? I can barely talk because my throat is hurt from coughing. So sick and tired of this!! And my taste buds are not back yet! Flu has to be the worst thing that can attack a human!
Urban, there are more effective cough suppressants, but they need a prescription. For that you need a doctor.

It sounds like you are caught in a vicious cycle: you cough, it makes your throat hurt worse, and you cough some more. If you do not bring anything up when you cough, the cough is not helpful.

It looks like you are about six days into this, so it's likely you are going to start feeling better soon. It's hard to say when the taste buds will recover, but your nose clearing should help.

At this point, I would back off on the Mucinex and choose a product just for cough, not one of the multi-symptom things. You do not need anything for runny nose, it sounds like. Use cough drops or hard candy to try to soothe your throat. The last time I had a bad cough triggered by an irritated throat, an anesthetic sore throat spray helped. I used Chloraseptic.

OTC Medicines for Cough

Old 01-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Urban, there are more effective cough suppressants, but they need a prescription. For that you need a doctor.

It sounds like you are caught in a vicious cycle: you cough, it makes your throat hurt worse, and you cough some more. If you do not bring anything up when you cough, the cough is not helpful.

It looks like you are about six days into this, so it's likely you are going to start feeling better soon. It's hard to say when the taste buds will recover, but your nose clearing should help.

At this point, I would back off on the Mucinex and choose a product just for cough, not one of the multi-symptom things. You do not need anything for runny nose, it sounds like. Use cough drops or hard candy to try to soothe your throat. The last time I had a bad cough triggered by an irritated throat, an anesthetic sore throat spray helped. I used Chloraseptic.

OTC Medicines for Cough
I am now using the 12 hour mucinex DM specifically designed for cough control. It seems to work. I cough less often. Overall, I think I am making progress. I don't feel very weak. I can't wait to get back to normal life. How many more days should I wait before I do things like jog or exercise? May be another 2 days?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I am now using the 12 hour mucinex DM specifically designed for cough control. It seems to work. I cough less often. Overall, I think I am making progress. I don't feel very weak. I can't wait to get back to normal life. How many more days should I wait before I do things like jog or exercise? May be another 2 days?
I would hold off until you feel much better. Increasing your respiratory rate might trigger more coughing, as could exposure to cold if you are outdoors. I know you do not want to lose conditioning, but exercise now might do more harm than good. When you do feel better, start slow: walk before you run.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I would hold off until you feel much better. Increasing your respiratory rate might trigger more coughing, as could exposure to cold if you are outdoors. I know you do not want to lose conditioning, but exercise now might do more harm than good. When you do feel better, start slow: walk before you run.
Good idea. I am going to hold off until the chest congestion has disappeared completely. I still have pain in my throat from coughing. I am hoping tomorrow will be better. This has taken a toll on my body.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Good idea. I am going to hold off until the chest congestion has disappeared completely. I still have pain in my throat from coughing. I am hoping tomorrow will be better. This has taken a toll on my body.
Take care, Urban. Try to get some rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness