U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM

170 posts, read 929,815 times

Advertisements

Raised tattoos are the result of a bad tattoo artist, not so much your body's healing process. This condition is caused when the artist has a 'heavy hand' and drills too deep.

Its very hard to invision tattoo regreat. Think about the image you want on your body. Do you really want this on your body forever?? Maybe you want it in a picture frame mounted on your wall.

Tattoos should be simple markings that have sentimental value. Black ink only. I highly advise against color. Not only is color hard to remove with laser treatment, but it has a high risk of aggrivating the skin and it looks bad anyway.

If you must get a tattoo, make sure its an appropriate size, black ink, appropriate location on your body, and most importantly - make sure its sentimental. Sentimental things become more meaningful and valuable with age...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:19 PM

436 posts, read 653,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
Raised tattoos are the result of a bad tattoo artist, not so much your body's healing process. This condition is caused when the artist has a 'heavy hand' and drills too deep.

Its very hard to invision tattoo regreat. Think about the image you want on your body. Do you really want this on your body forever?? Maybe you want it in a picture frame mounted on your wall.

Tattoos should be simple markings that have sentimental value. Black ink only. I highly advise against color. Not only is color hard to remove with laser treatment, but it has a high risk of aggrivating the skin and it looks bad anyway.

If you must get a tattoo, make sure its an appropriate size, black ink, appropriate location on your body, and most importantly - make sure its sentimental. Sentimental things become more meaningful and valuable with age...

If a person is susceptible to keloid formation (more blacks than caucasian) then it is not the problem of the artist. It is a problem of skin reaction to various stimuli.

There is nothing that can be done to prevent keloid formation in those who are prone to that disorder. In these cases, the best bet is to NOT get a tattoo

Old 01-09-2008, 04:53 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,824,798 times
OK. I've never understood it. I've heard doctors advise against it, that the skin is the largest organ we have, and a very important one. It helps to keep us healthy.

WHY do people want tattoos? Is it an ego thing?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,038,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
OK. I've never understood it. I've heard doctors advise against it, that the skin is the largest organ we have, and a very important one. It helps to keep us healthy.

Why do people want pierced ears? Why do they change their hair color? Why do we do any of the things we do to our appearance? Because human beings are stimulated by the visual, and everyone likes something different.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

I think that is a very good question. Although some tattoos are nicely done, to me- they are still tattoos. I see no reason to allow someone I do not know to continuously stick a needle into my skin, and inject a dye under the skin, leaving me the potential for infections, hepatitis, HIV and AIDS.

Piercings? Except for ear lobe- Again- I see no reason They are unattractive, and another source of potential diseases, to me. While on this area, those who get earrings up the ear, and into the cartilage are asking for trouble. Those infections are difficult to cure, and some actually result in plastic surgery to remove the damages areas.

I guess these are fine IF kept out of view, if one has a job dealing with the public. But, I can't stand the sight of them on faces, necks, etc.

Just a personal opinion.

Did you ever see the show "LA INK" on cable? Oh, yeah- those girls are really attractive (NOT!)

Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 AM

39,958 posts, read 19,277,895 times
What you have there is "A permenent reminder of a temporary feeling" J.Buffet

It could be much worse. Instead of a patched of "raised skin" you could have a kid to raise.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,314,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
What you have there is "A permenent reminder of a temporary feeling" J.Buffet

It could be much worse. Instead of a patched of "raised skin" you could have a kid to raise.
Great quotes. I dont have anything against tatoos but I'll never get one myself. There are only two types of people who get tatoos 1) those who want a reminder of a significant even in their lives; and 2) those who are led more by their ego than their mind so they want to look tough and bad*$$.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:36 PM

4,561 posts, read 9,946,593 times
You would be shocked at how many people, professional business people, have tattoos. It's kind of sad that people are judged so much by their outward appearance.
Some people do love it for the art. While it isn't for everyone - that's fine. But to automatically judge someone because they have one is too bad. Some of the nicest, most kind hearted people I know are tattooed.
There are many things people do to their appearance that I will never understand and do not prefer - but to each his own.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 PM

If a person in a customer service position has a tattoo which is invisible to the general public, then I find no problem. BUT, many companies have an aversion for tattoos when meeting prospective clients.

Looks are important for business. I agree with them. I could not feel comfortable with facial or neck (visible) tattoos on people acting as my representative. The same goes for studs and rings visible to the clients.

i would rather take a chance at losing an employee than losing business.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 PM

4,561 posts, read 9,946,593 times
I don't disagree that people need to be careful of the placement of tattoos, especially for jobs because that is just the reality of it. People can be judged by appearance for jobs, not just because of tattoos or piercings but the clothes they wear, their weight, their speech, all kinds of things.
I didn't start getting them until I was 38. My husband and I own our own business so we have a bit more freedom to express our selves this way, and we can cover them if we want to.
I just think that generally most think that if they can't see a tattoo on someone - they assume they don't have them - and seem to judge them as better than someone who might be dressed casually and their tattoo is visible.
I can't tell you how many times, when I've just been out and about and people - all kinds, business owners, doctors, etc. see mine and then feel compelled to show me theirs. Thus the comment I made about how some would be shocked at the amount of professionals with tattoos. People you see and deal with all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness