Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 09:26 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,605 times

Advertisements

I recently came across an ad that says that they are searching for egg donors. Apparently, they pay 4500 for time and effort. Is this actually a legit thing? They had a link that led to an application. Has anyone done this? How does this work?

Last edited by melissapla12; 01-21-2015 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
You go thru a series of tests/interviews and then if you are selected, your profile will be available for viewing.

You will have medical tests/blood draws and records requested. They will also ask about family history - grands, parents, siblings, etc. If they are living, their occupations, their ages, illnesses they might have had and/or cause and age of death.

Most agencies requires some sort of counselling so that the donor understands her obligations - you must take all prescribed medications exactly (doses and timing are very specific) and show up for all appointments to monitor your eggs progress.

I used an egg donor, she was compensated 10,000. That was on the "high end" of my agency's fee schedule , fees vary by state and agency.

Oh, and it's taxable income for the donor.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
You go thru a series of tests/interviews and then if you are selected, your profile will be available for viewing.

You will have medical tests/blood draws and records requested. They will also ask about family history - grands, parents, siblings, etc. If they are living, their occupations, their ages, illnesses they might have had and/or cause and age of death.

Most agencies requires some sort of counselling so that the donor understands her obligations - you must take all prescribed medications exactly (doses and timing are very specific) and show up for all appointments to monitor your eggs progress.

I used an egg donor, she was compensated 10,000. That was on the "high end" of my agency's fee schedule , fees vary by state and agency.

Oh, and it's taxable income for the donor.
This isnt the same thing as surrogate mother right?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
No, surrogates carry the baby to term. Egg donors get paid to give their eggs to people who cannot make their own. A friend of mine did this process twice (the same family requested her the second time so their children would be biologically siblings) and then agreed to have her remaining eggs frozen in the event the family chose to have another child.

She was paid a fee each time. It is a process and you have to be cleared medically and mentally.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
No, surrogates carry the baby to term. Egg donors get paid to give their eggs to people who cannot make their own. A friend of mine did this process twice (the same family requested her the second time so their children would be biologically siblings) and then agreed to have her remaining eggs frozen in the event the family chose to have another child.

She was paid a fee each time. It is a process and you have to be cleared medically and mentally.
Thanks for the info! Wasnt sure how it worked but it caught my eye since it stated it paid 4500

Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
OP, I just thought I'd let you know it isn't an easy way to make money. Even if they approve you, they give you a lot of hormone treatments and egg donors can feel pretty lousy and have a lot of mood swings during the treatments. Be sure and read up on all the side effects before you decide to try it.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OP, I just thought I'd let you know it isn't an easy way to make money. Even if they approve you, they give you a lot of hormone treatments and egg donors can feel pretty lousy and have a lot of mood swings during the treatments. Be sure and read up on all the side effects before you decide to try it.
Oh no I don't see myself doing it. Just wanted to know what it was all about. I meet the criteria they're asking but it seems like too much for me to handle

Old 01-21-2015, 04:28 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Oh no I don't see myself doing it. Just wanted to know what it was all about. I meet the criteria they're asking but it seems like too much for me to handle
FWIW, the coordinator at my clinic said that only 1 or 2% of their initial recruits make it thru to the next level. They wouldn't take anyone who had a tattoo or piercing in the previous year, for example.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
FWIW, the coordinator at my clinic said that only 1 or 2% of their initial recruits make it thru to the next level. They wouldn't take anyone who had a tattoo or piercing in the previous year, for example.
Ahh right there tells me I wouldnt make it. I have 4 tattoos and got two of them last year in November. Just seemed like a quick way to make some cash but I didnt know there was a lot more to it than the basic stuff they mentioned. Plus, Im on birth control so that might exclude me

Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 PM

210 posts, read 156,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Ahh right there tells me I wouldnt make it. I have 4 tattoos and got two of them last year in November. Just seemed like a quick way to make some cash but I didnt know there was a lot more to it than the basic stuff they mentioned. Plus, Im on birth control so that might exclude me
You realize that birth control prevents your body from releasing an egg, and that you would have to go off it; then take hormones so that you would release more eggs than usual, for them to harvest, right? This is a multi month proposition, and you'd also have to refrain from having sex during that time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness