Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times

Advertisements

Uncle Sam makes sure I get all my vaccinations updated as needed. Let me tell you, there's a bunch of them. If I were a civilian, I'd never think to get myself stuck as often as the military thinks I need to be up-to-date on vaccs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
yes my mom and I had the DPT booster back in 2011. When my nephew was born we were told by my brother that his doctor said any visitors staying with you has to have this. I thought it was ridiculous because people I know who have kids never heard of it and neither did my own doctor. I think my brother was being paranoid.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:11 PM

126,263 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Yes my whole family gets every 10 years the booster shot ,we also took the Twinrix vaccination when we traveled to India as well the typhoid vaccination.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:20 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
All my vaccinations are up to date.
~ASK your Doctor what you need, and have your sheet of "already done" vaccines ready.
~I have had all the childhood diseases one "supposed to have/get".
~I had chicken pox as a child, and shingles at 17, and it wasn't pleasant, I tell ya! SO I have had my shingles shot too.
~I also had an attack of impetigo all over my face, but there is no shot for that. That wasn't very pleasant either!
~About 6 years ago, according to my Dr. I was "very very very" sick" {Note: i was not just "sick", or just "very sick", but I had three "very"s for being sick!} with pneumonia. I was hospitalized for 3 weeks in a quanteened room {for my protection},on a string of what they called "caustic IV antibiotics" {really?? IN my veins?}. THEN I had an "opportunistic fungal" and "opportunistic bacterial" infections set in! So I used to get the pneumonia shot every 5 years, but they changed it TO the current requirement...
~When I went back to college in the late 90s, the young lady at the counter who "checked me in" for vaccine requirements, "could not understand" my sheet of childhood vaccines. A Much older lady came over and looked and said "oh, honey, he's been vaccinated for EVERYTHING and MORE than he needs".

People argue over getting vaccines, then wonder why they or their child gets sick? and maybe dies? HAving had some of the things I have had, I'd rather risk the vaccine, than the alternative!
just MHO.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:34 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I keep up on my tetanus every 10 years or so because I like to garden, etc. Last time I got it, it was the TD shot (protects form diphtheria too). I had a reaction to Pertussis as a kid so I can't get that. I got the Hep B and meningitis vaccines in college a little over 10 years ago. I get the flu shot every year but only because my job requires it.

I'm wondering if I need an MMR booster. I'm not worried enough about it to make a special appointment for it, but if I go to see my PCP for something else, I'll ask about it. Getting the measles sounds miserable.
Oh you're right about that- I almost died from the measles when I was a child (before the vaccine was available). And I've heard it's worse when adults contract the "childhood diseases."

Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I just got a DPT booster a few years ago (although for some reason they seem to be using "TDAP" instead of "DPT" these days).

Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
The Tdap is used for children, adolescents, and adults ages 10 years and over.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:14 PM

223 posts, read 321,299 times
I had a mild case of pertussis (or rather, my doctor thinks I had pertussis based on blood work I had done) back in 2011, and it was pretty horrible. On the bright side, that means I may have permanent immunity now. I had a Hep A vaccination in late 2008 since I went to China in early 2009 and it was recommended, but I never had the follow up booster. I got the flu shot that year, too, but have never gotten that before or since. I had a meningitis vaccine for college since it was required of students living on campus. I'm about 2 years overdue on my tetanus shot now that I think about it. I also haven't had a physical in about 4 years... guess it's time for a visit to my PCP.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:18 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Just Tetanus...I am always injuring myself. Those shots make my arm sore for at least a month!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:29 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I've had the tetanus booster 3-4 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness