U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 PM

6,929 posts, read 9,709,533 times

Advertisements

I'm 40 and I measured my blood pressure last night and it was 129/90. This morning I took it again a few minutes after waking up and it was 110/78.

Do I have any reason to be concerned? What is the optimum time to take BP? Should it vary so much?

In addition my resting pulse varies a lot. I noticed that even when I am sitting still it continuously fluctuates between 70 and 90. Is this odd?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 PM

530 posts, read 569,536 times
Blood pressure is usually higher in the morning so that reading is good BUT I am not a doctor. If you are concerned, why not ask him/her?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:22 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times
only a doctor can tell you what is good and bad when it comes to things like blood pressure, but yours doesn't sound high at all. Most of us will have a fluxuating from time to time depending on a lot of things. I know a lot of doctors are starting to suggest we keep a BP machine at home and take it a couple of times a day. We have one, but we don't use it often. Why? because it is just a source of worry for many. I think, unless you have a real problem it is best to live and let live.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:59 PM

I want to check it because I am especially worried about the 129/90 figure, more so about the 90 diastolic which seems pretty high. I don't want to worry but I know HBP is called the silent killer because over time it can do serious damage.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:42 PM

41,373 posts, read 52,663,795 times
Your BP numbers are excellent. None to worry about. Good ranges are around 95-125 over 65-75.
Any concerns then you should see a doctor.

Here is a site with a BP chart for you to peruse.

Understanding Blood Pressure Readings

Old 02-03-2015, 05:19 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,370,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I'm 40 and I measured my blood pressure last night and it was 129/90. This morning I took it again a few minutes after waking up and it was 110/78.

Do I have any reason to be concerned? What is the optimum time to take BP? Should it vary so much?

In addition my resting pulse varies a lot. I noticed that even when I am sitting still it continuously fluctuates between 70 and 90. Is this odd?
OP, I'm an ED doc, and can provide you with a little information: the only way to ascertain if you have a true underlying issue with your blood pressure is to see your primary care physician. He/she may measure your blood pressure readings on 3 separate visits, separated in time (eg over the course of a few months).

There are several things that cause our blood pressures to fluctuate...they include, but are not limited to:diurnal blood pressure variations; food intake, water intake, sodium intake, hormonal fluctuations, anxiety, stress, fear, anger, other medications, etc. Even subconsciously worrying about your blood pressure, while measuring it yourself with a BP cuff at home, can elevate it. The list is infinite.

I think the questions you should ponder are: why are you checking your pressure in the first place? Did your physician ask you to do so? Are you doing it on your own, as a way to self-monitor? Were you ever diagnosed with hypertension in the past?

Aside from seeing your primary care physician, it might be helpful to keep a log of your bp readings (specifically, dates and times) and to observe any patterns. If nothing else, this might help your primary care doc to ascertain if there are possibly any underlying issues you should be concerned about.

I wish you all the best

Last edited by erjunkee; 02-03-2015 at 05:39 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM

thanks erjunkee.

I measured my BP last night twice in a 30 minute window... first reading 143/83, second reading 115/79. This is confusing as heck. How come by readings are fluctuating so much within a short period?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:11 AM

41,373 posts, read 52,663,795 times
Blood pressure changes constantly depending on the activity you're doing at the time. If you're resting and relaxed it'll more than likely be in the lower range, if you are moving about or yell at the TV or road rage driver then it will be elevated. Not to worry it's normal. Ask your doctor.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,466,897 times
Quote:
thanks erjunkee.

I measured my BP last night twice in a 30 minute window... first reading 143/83, second reading 115/79. This is confusing as heck. How come by readings are fluctuating so much within a short period?
You are becoming obessed with you BP it appears. Go see your primary care doctor, as suggested, let him/her decide if you have anything to worry about. The more you stress, the more likely the readings will be high. Yes, high BP can lead to all kinds of things, but checking it daily or several times a day is probably doing as much damage as not checking at all. there are a lot of things in our life, that can cause health issues, there is no way we can keep them all under check. My grandma had high BP before there were so many meds to reduce it, she died at 92; maybe shoe would have lived another year if she had meds then. My dad had high cholest. died at 93.

Nita

Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 AM

11,091 posts, read 10,653,443 times
Quote:

Your upper blood pressure is known as your "systolic blood pressure". Your lower blood pressure is known as your diastolic blood pressure. A systolic pressure above 120 and lower than 139 is considered "pre-hypertension". Anything above 140 is considered high blood pressure. A diastolic blood pressure between 80 and 89 is considered pre-hypertension. A pressure that is 90 or above is considered high blood pressure.

That being said, there are environmental factors that must be considered. Blood pressure fluctuates and simply the anxiety of being in a doctor's office can cause some people's blood pressures to rise. Illness or unusual exertion can cause a blood pressure to increase above normal. This is not particularly cause for concern. Its the body's way of coping with stress.

The fact that I had a diastolic blood pressure of 90 would not cause me to panic. Its having this pressure over a period of time that is cause for concern. Many physicians would not treat a blood pressure of 90 with hypertension medications. Instead, they would counsel the patient to pursue a regular exercise program for 3 to 6 months to see if the blood pressure declined. If it did not, that would probably be reason for medication.

If you have a family history of strokes or heart attacks that would be a reason for concern and should be relayed to your PCP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness