Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Everyone my age had the measles when they were about 7 years old. It was a rash that started out with a fever. Usually you didn't feel that sick but due to the possibility of complications, you had to have complete bed rest in a darkened room. For me, the worst part of it was that I felt fine but was not allowed to read, just had to rest, so it was extremely boring.

Measles | Complications | CDC

Although I don't usually find it mentioned, we were told that it could affect your vision, hence the darkened room and not using your eyes. Also, a friend my age resumed normal activities too soon and her hearing was affected permanently. As I said, these were the things we watched for even though I don't see it when I look up measles complications.
Many people with measles feel very sick.

The darkened room was just a comfort measure. The loss of vision occurs internally. Your friend didn't lose her hearing because she resumed activity too soon. She lost it because the measles probably gave her an ear infection, which affected her hearing.

Measles | Complications | CDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
If there is a nurse out there, can someone answer this?

Born in 1964, got all childhood immunizations. 1980s, joined military, got all immunizations again. Got pertussis vaccine about 4 years ago. I need a new tetnus, I'll get it soon.

Generally, am I good?
If you were revaccinated with measles, you should be OK. You can have a titer drawn if you're unsure, or just get another vaccination. If you got pertussis four years ago, you also got tetanus. It only comes as Tdap. (Tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I thought all of us old people already had the measles, chickenpox and mumps. I've had them all. I was born in 1957.
Anyone born BEFORE 1957 is considered immune. However, lots of people born in the later 50s got these diseases too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It's a live vaccine, so it might expire before they use it all. Same thng if its multi-dose. Sometimes a doctor will write you a script, you bring the vax to them and they give it to you.

The problem in the Bay Area is affluent anti-vax Americans travelling overseas.
All vaccines expire. Measles vaccine comes as a powder and a diluent. You mix it up right before you give it. There are no multi-dose vials of MMR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We don't need to "hide in the herd". Our risk of contracting Hep B is extremely minuscule. I'm as worried about contracting HIV as I am worried about contracting Hep B. In other words, I am not worried. How do you go out in public knowing that there is no vaccine to protect you from HIV which is transmitted the same way as Hep B?
Hepatitis B is very easily transmitted, as the virus can live for 7 days outside the body. Some cases have no known transmission source.
http://www.immunize.org/vis/hepatitis_b.pdf

Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
My husband's doctorate is in physics, not medicine. His "patients" are computers. It sounds like they're always infected with some sort of virus.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:16 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
orphaned post
You could have had hepatitis B and not know it. Half of adults who get it have no symptoms. Have you ever been tested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
My husband's doctorate is in physics, not medicine. His "patients" are computers. It sounds like they're always infected with some sort of virus.
LOL!

I think she means me.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-11-2015 at 07:44 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 06:07 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
And that contributed how? Thread is about Measles, not computers.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,314,125 times
[quote=FallsAngel;38405138]My husband's doctorate is in physics, not medicine. His "patients" are computers. It sounds like they're always infected with some sort of virus.[/quote

Yep, my husband constantly talking about all the bugs in the codes.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:34 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You could have had hepatitis B and not know it. Half of adults who get it have no symptoms. Have you ever been tested?

LOL!

I think she means me.
Nope. Never will be either. Maybe even had whooping cough and even FLU when I didn't know it. Don't have a doctor so one will never know.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:43 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
[quote=Jo48;38406315]Nope. Never will be either. Maybe even had whooping cough and even FLU when I didn't know it. Don't have a doctor so one

Glad to know you are so proud of the fact that you may have had multiple vaccine preventable illnesses which then made you a walking talking patient zero of potential outbreaks...

At least you didn't work in close quarters with susceptible populations....oh wait you d

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-12-2015 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-11-2015, 06:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Someone who doesn't have a doctor, has never been tested for hepatitis, worked in schools, in contact with blood and excrement, and doesn't *care* if any of them have infectious diseases...

Yeah that sounds like Typhoid Mary to me.

For those of you late to the party and are too young to have ever heard of her:
Typhoid Mary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-11-2015, 09:39 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Someone who doesn't have a doctor, has never been tested for hepatitis, worked in schools, in contact with blood and excrement, and doesn't *care* if any of them have infectious diseases...

Yeah that sounds like Typhoid Mary to me.

For those of you late to the party and are too young to have ever heard of her:
Typhoid Mary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think we've all heard of Typhoid Mary.

So maybe she's my hero too? I worked in schools as a teacher and as school librarian. I wiped runny noses on first graders and cleaned up after the ones who didn't make it to the bathroom in time too. It goes with the territory.

We were required to have to TB test when we were hired. I've never been tested for hepatitis or a lot of other things. I had measles when I was a kid, as I said previously.

This is not ebola, this is measles, a childhood disease that everybody used to get and very few died from or developed after effects from. It was worse than chicken pox though and if somebody told me I HAD to get vaccinated for it, I'd do it.

Just be thankful that vaccines have eradicated some of the really, truly serious diseases like smallpox and polio. Now THOSE were diseases to be afraid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness