Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 PM

10 posts, read 20,836 times

Advertisements

Did you hear about the pakistan man from Nassau county who went to his brother's funeral in Pakistan last month? The brother died of H5N1 (Bird Flu). He was part of a cluster of patients where human to human transmission was suspected. The man then flew home through JFK... no one knew about it (CDC, HHS, FEMA, etc). Next day he went to his DR. who called CDC. they isolated the guy and took samples. Thank heaven he was negative. But just as easily he could have been positive and begun spreading the pandemic virus throughout the Tri-state area... Yes, it would have been in CT before anyone knew about it..... and thats the way it may happen.

So that being said, it is wise to prepare for what is coming... here is a link by the US Government asking individuals to take the lead in Pandemic Preparedness.

Take the Lead: Working Together to Prepare Now (http://www.pandemicflu.gov/takethelead/index.html - broken link)

BTW - Our fine state has no Tamiflu for you or your kids. Stop & Shp's Pandemic plans are to close the stores. What are YOU going to tell YOUR kids when they are home from school for 3 months (thats what the "plan" is) and you run out of food?

Pandemic planning is being taken very seriously by all levels of Gov. I have participated with my Town's planning.

Here is a nice graphic presentation from MSNBC on the spread of H5N1
Bird flu time line - Bird Flu - MSNBC.com

and here is the ages affected by H5N1
http://www.wpro.who.int/NR/rdonlyres/FD4AC2FD-B7C8-4A13-A32C-6CF328A0C036/0/S4_1113.jpg (broken link)

Its our kids who are at risk of dying from this virus.

One more interesting site - Pandemic Vaccine Priority Public Dialog
Vaccination Prioritization For Pandemic Influenza

I'd highly recommend stocking up with Freeze dried and dehydrated foods. They last 5-15 years if stored properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,743,023 times
Total worldwide deaths from bird flu (counted since 2003 I believe) are somewhere around 200. Hardly something to panic over. There are far, far more worrisome and fatal things out there than bird flu.

Take pertussis (whooping cough), for example...worldwide, there are an estimated 300,000 annual deaths due to pertussis.

I think I won't worry about bird flu.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,001,208 times
This caught my eye because my Grams got ahold of me one day when I didn't wash my hands. "I can remember when millions of people got sick and died. People were walking down Canal Street wearing masks because they were afraid of getting sick. That's why you wash your hands!"

I thought she had lost her mind; people walking on the streets wearing masks?! It wasn't until years later I realized that she was talking about the influenza pandemic back in the begining of the 20th century (Grams was born in 1891 and lived to a ripe old 97 years old). I now understand her obsession with washing your hands. Bless Grams' heart, thanks to her I have had a taste of the fear that must have taken hold of the world at that time.

BTW: I ran into a scientist who was here checking out the lovely diseases that were supposed to be lingering and he told me that Katrina would be a cake walk compared to what the bird flu would do. After Katrina it's gonna take a lot more than bird flu to scare me.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:51 pm Post subject:
CIDRAP >> OIE chief's downplaying of pandemic risk draws fire

OIE chief's downplaying of pandemic risk draws fire

Jan 11, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Disease experts and preparedness advocates reacted negatively today to comments by the head of the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) suggesting that the risk of an influenza pandemic posed by the H5N1 avian flu virus is minimal.

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 01-14-2008 at 03:47 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 PM

a well respected blog - Effect Measure on the report

Effect Measure : Director General of OIE speaks. Too bad.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 PM

746 posts, read 3,494,949 times
Bubonic Plague (http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/bubonic_plague/index.html - broken link)

Don't dismiss pandemic flu so quickly. It has already killed more people than the Bubonic Plague.

Flu is continually morphing itself, and can jump species. It may not happen tomorrow, but it has happened before. It is a legitimate concern, as indeed are many other potential illnesses.

It is very likely some disease will ravage humans in the 21st Century.

Too bad nobody knows what it will be.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Bubonic Plague (http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/bubonic_plague/index.html - broken link)

Don't dismiss pandemic flu so quickly. It has already killed more people than the Bubonic Plague.

Flu is continually morphing itself, and can jump species. It may not happen tomorrow, but it has happened before. It is a legitimate concern, as indeed are many other potential illnesses.

It is very likely some disease will ravage humans in the 21st Century.

Too bad nobody knows what it will be.
It sure looks like its gonna be H5N1 and very few people are preparing for it.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:58 PM

379 posts, read 642,174 times
How are we supposed to prepare? Tamiflu? There is no way they are going to start handing out Tamiflu as a precaution. The flu shots don't include this strain. What do you suggest for the general population?

I agree that it is stupid to say its not a threat or that the threat is over. Anyone who can google can see otherwise. The simple fact is it has mutated before and could mutate again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness