Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:00 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,577 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if it is necessary to have teeth removed during incubation? *(Not speaking of dentures)*
I could be wrong on the spelling...I'll explain it as the way I know it...it's when a patient has a catheter tube inserted down the throat.

Anyone know anything about this procedure...and mainly, if teeth are to be removed during the process????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 PM

379 posts, read 644,762 times
Intubation? no, they don't remove your teeth to intubate. Maybe if they are dentures.

Are you asking about a specific surgery?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Intubation? no, they don't remove your teeth to intubate. Maybe if they are dentures.

Are you asking about a specific surgery?

I must have been editing my post while you were posting.
But this person did not have dentures.

It was my uncle and he passed away this morning and the
thing we can't understand is why his teeth were removed?

The nurse tried to explain "it's procedure" to remove the teeth???

*Thank you for the correct term...I'm just sick to my stomach over this*

Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I must have been editing my post while you were posting.
But this person did not have dentures.

It was my uncle and he passed away this morning and the
thing we can't understand is why his teeth were removed?

The nurse tried to explain "it's procedure" to remove the teeth???

*Thank you for the correct term...I'm just sick to my stomach over this*
I am so sorry about your loss. I will look into it for you. Was this an emergency type situation? or had he been sick? I ask because in an emergency situation its possible for teeth to be fractured during intubation (or possibly in a patient who is difficult to intubate).

Old 01-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Maybe someone else will be able to provide more information to you on this subject.
That being said I would have to say no, it is not "procedure" to remove a patients permanent teeth to preform an intubation. There IS a significant risk of damage to the teeth (esp. the top front teeth) in an intubation. The risk increases if the patient has had a ...
"previous difficult intubation, previous airway surgery or trauma, limited jaw excursion, a short fat neck, prominent upper incisors, receding chin, cervical spine abnormalities and obesity" (Emergency intubation for the non-anesthetist rural physician)

I don't know if any of those apply to your family member.

It MAY be considered "procedure" to remove the patients teeth if they have been damaged during intubation. I would think this would depend on #1 How badly they were damaged, #2 If leaving the damaged teeth intact would increase the patients risk of aspiration (choking).

I, again, am sorry for your family's loss. Hope you can have this situation cleared up.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe someone else will be able to provide more information to you on this subject.
That being said I would have to say no, it is not "procedure" to remove a patients permanent teeth to preform an intubation. There IS a significant risk of damage to the teeth (esp. the top front teeth) in an intubation. The risk increases if the patient has had a ...
"previous difficult intubation, previous airway surgery or trauma, limited jaw excursion, a short fat neck, prominent upper incisors, receding chin, cervical spine abnormalities and obesity" (Emergency intubation for the non-anesthetist rural physician)

I don't know if any of those apply to your family member.

It MAY be considered "procedure" to remove the patients teeth if they have been damaged during intubation. I would think this would depend on #1 How badly they were damaged, #2 If leaving the damaged teeth intact would increase the patients risk of aspiration (choking).

I, again, am sorry for your family's loss. Hope you can have this situation cleared up.

*Thank you for the link and info*

My uncle had none of what was quoted.
And the hospital is being less than helpful with what exactly happened.
Many things are not adding up.

He went in originally for a bleeding ulcer one week ago.
Which is when he had an endoscopy to determine that.
It became difficult for him to breathe at which point they did
the intubation and he was then put on a ventilator for about two
days.
He came off the ventilator and came out of ICU, but he was still
hospitalized. He recently was complaining of stomach pains and had
severe indigestion. They (hospital) couldn't figure out what was causing
the pains.
They tried to intubate him and that is when he apparently went
into cardiac arrest.
Still we have no explanation as to what were the events that led up to
this. It all happened in a two hour span this morning...and then he died.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:26 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,152 times
You mean they pulled his teeth? I mean, if this were the case, I would think that most people walking the streets would have no teeth. They intubate people all the time and they don't pull out their teeth. Sad story, I'd keep digging on all of these details. It sounds like it was probably coronary? But *still* when did they find time to pull his teeth?

Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 PM

Hmmm, I am not connecting the dots.

He was intubated, put on a vent, the tube was removed....teeth intact. It was only upon re-intubation, that removing teeth is "procedure" ?

Try contacting his admitting physician or hospital administration for a better explanation.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
You mean they pulled his teeth? I mean, if this were the case, I would think that most people walking the streets would have no teeth. They intubate people all the time and they don't pull out their teeth. Sad story, I'd keep digging on all of these details. It sounds like it was probably coronary? But *still* when did they find time to pull his teeth?

All they said when we asked why were his teeth missing we got the answer that it is procedure when attempting to intubate.
They didn't do it (remove his teeth) the first time which happened last week.
There are other details such as his gown was completely covered in blood
and the left side of his face was bruised.
We were there visiting yesterday...late last night...he had his teeth and he did not have bruising on his face.
And yet again, they cannot explain the bruising.
We (family) think he passed much earlier than they are letting on...for whatever reasons...but they(hospital) deny it.

Quote:
Hmmm, I am not connecting the dots.

He was intubated, put on a vent, the tube was removed....teeth intact. It was only upon re-intubation, that removing teeth is "procedure" ?

Try contacting his admitting physician or hospital administration for a better explanation.
The teeth incident happened on this last intubation..from what we can gather between midnight and 1:30 am...at least that's what they tell us.
Trust me, my family and I are just as confused as to what exactly happened....

With it being the weekend and with their skeleton crew, we have to wait till
Monday to investigate any further and get some solid answers.

I just asked here thinking that quite possibly someone else may have gone through the same experience.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
All they said when we asked why were his teeth missing we got the answer that it is procedure when attempting to intubate.
They didn't do it (remove his teeth) the first time which happened last week.
There are other details such as his gown was completely covered in blood
and the left side of his face was bruised.
We were there visiting yesterday...late last night...he had his teeth and he did not have bruising on his face.
And yet again, they cannot explain the bruising.
We (family) think he passed much earlier than they are letting on...for whatever reasons...but they(hospital) deny it.

The teeth incident happened on this last intubation..from what we can gather between midnight and 1:30 am...at least that's what they tell us.
Trust me, my family and I are just as confused as to what exactly happened....

With it being the weekend and with their skeleton crew, we have to wait till
Monday to investigate any further and get some solid answers.

I just asked here thinking that quite possibly someone else may have gone through the same experience.
I have never (10 yrs of nursing) heard of anyone having teeth pulled for intubation. Check it out next week (act like you do not understand anything, do not act suspicious of their actions). Are they preforming an autopsy(you may want to request one if it is not too late)? The coroner would be the next person to talk to (if you are still uncomfortable with their explanations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness