Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times

Advertisements

My doctor took my off a baby aspirin and put me on a full strength aspirin because of a certain kind of heart palpitation. I worry because of many reports of the possibility of internal bleeding and that it can lead to death because aspirin thins the blood. So I don't know really what to do or if maybe there is an alternative to the aspirin but I don't see how there could be because the object is to thin the blood so it doesn't coagulate and thereby causing a stroke. Anyone else have something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:55 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You should sit down with your doctor and talk it out, the pros the cons, and reach an level that is comfortable for you to work with.
My cardiologist recommended I take 1/2 aspirin daily, have for at least 15 years and so far no problems.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:19 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
My doctor took my off a baby aspirin and put me on a full strength aspirin because of a certain kind of heart palpitation. I worry because of many reports of the possibility of internal bleeding and that it can lead to death because aspirin thins the blood. So I don't know really what to do or if maybe there is an alternative to the aspirin but I don't see how there could be because the object is to thin the blood so it doesn't coagulate and thereby causing a stroke. Anyone else have something like that.
You'd really need to answer some questions first.

1. Have you ever had stomach problems?

2. Specifically, have you ever had an ulcer, gastritis, or esophagitis?

3. Has anyone in your biological family had these problems?

If you can answer "no" to these, you may be at low risk for the kind of bleeding you are describing.

There are definite benefits from taking aspirin daily. It lowers the risk of heart disease. Its very possible in your case its worth taking that risk.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I try not to out guess my doctor as to his reasoning on a course of action, theres usually a good reason for his prescribed proceedures,usually when i ask him about my concerns his responses make a lot of sense. if he says go from low dose aspirin to a full dose aspirin ask him why he wants to make the change,you'll almost certainly agree with his assessment once he explains it..

Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
You should take it with food and water even if you don't have apparent bleeding now. If you have problems with your stomach upset or bleeding, such as GERD, certain foods are helpful. They're usually bland-tasting foods, such as banana, bread, and oatmeal.

If you have a dental appointment that may cause bleeding, your dentist will often ask you to stay off of the aspirin for 48 hours prior to the surgery. If he doesn't bring it up, you should ask just to be on the safe side.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:17 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
I mentioned to my son who is a doctor that I was taking a daily baby aspirin. He asked why and plugged some data into an app on his phone. He said I definitely should not be taking the daily baby aspirin since my risk for a heart attack were so low. Right after that, I saw a couple articles that said the risks of a daily baby aspirin might outweigh the benefits. See:

An Aspirin a Day ... or Not?

Does an aspirin a day really keep the doctor away? - CBS News

An aspirin a day? Risks may outweigh benefits | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Can an Aspirin a Day Help Prevent a Heart Attack?

https://www.bcm.edu/news/heart/appro...n-heart-health

Old 03-20-2015, 12:31 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I agree talk to your doctor. I would not stop taking anything until you talk to him or her (especially if you have Afib). Personally, I'd take the risk of excessive bleeding over the risk of having a stroke, but that's just me.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
The assumption here is that she was already on a 81 mg aspirin mg daily regimen and was told by her doctor to go to a 325 mg daily regimen. What's left out is what prescription drugs she is also taking to reduce her heart attack risk, whether the dosage to these drugs were also increased or maxed out, and whether the full aspirin is just a incremental step towards taking something like valsartan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness