Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 AM

168 posts, read 905,210 times

Advertisements

I sometimes joke about a "food" pill that I wish we could take instead of eating. A pill that would supply all our nutritional needs and prevent hunger. I was watching my dog eat today and musing; day after day he eats the same thing. He probably only eats it because he's hungry and that's all he's given to eat, and yet it supplies him with 100% nutrition.

Wait a minute, why can't there be something like that for people? Are we so much more complicated nutrition-wise than a dog, or what? Of course, most people wouldn't want to eat like that, but why not make it available for those who do? I would sure as heck would give it a try.

It is such a chore when you cut back on the amount of food you are eating to try to stay nutritionally balanced. It's like having a second job. All the planning, and shopping, and preparing, and cleaning up. Okay, I admit I'm a little lazy in that department, so what? I'd rather be doing other things with my time. Why aren't there other options? The closest thing we have is ordering meals from Jenny Craig or NutriSystem, but they work so hard to convince you that "It's just like eating real meals!" And it's expensive to buy those fake "real meals." It would be a lot cheaper to mass produce something like dog food for people. And you could eat out once in a while too, of course, although I wonder if it would make you throw up like a dog who eats something he's not used to.

Do you think it's a crazy idea? Somebody should give it a try. I bet they could make a fortune!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,312,237 times
I used to wish we could just take pills like that, but I like the taste of food. I thought that way when food wasn't that entertaining to me.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 AM

379 posts, read 640,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
I sometimes joke about a "food" pill that I wish we could take instead of eating. A pill that would supply all our nutritional needs and prevent hunger. I was watching my dog eat today and musing; day after day he eats the same thing. He probably only eats it because he's hungry and that's all he's given to eat, and yet it supplies him with 100% nutrition.

Wait a minute, why can't there be something like that for people? Are we so much more complicated nutrition-wise than a dog, or what? Of course, most people wouldn't want to eat like that, but why not make it available for those who do? I would sure as heck would give it a try.

It is such a chore when you cut back on the amount of food you are eating to try to stay nutritionally balanced. It's like having a second job. All the planning, and shopping, and preparing, and cleaning up. Okay, I admit I'm a little lazy in that department, so what? I'd rather be doing other things with my time. Why aren't there other options? The closest thing we have is ordering meals from Jenny Craig or NutriSystem, but they work so hard to convince you that "It's just like eating real meals!" And it's expensive to buy those fake "real meals." It would be a lot cheaper to mass produce something like dog food for people. And you could eat out once in a while too, of course, although I wonder if it would make you throw up like a dog who eats something he's not used to.

Do you think it's a crazy idea? Somebody should give it a try. I bet they could make a fortune!
LOL. Good idea. I am sure it is possible but what if it tasted like dog food?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 PM

Of course, it would have to taste good, but how do you know dog food doesn't taste good? Ever tried it? LOL, I haven't.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
Of course, it would have to taste good, but how do you know dog food doesn't taste good? Ever tried it? LOL, I haven't.
Well...... No, but I can smell it. YUCK!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,312,237 times
Now if you want a meal, you can get dog food recipes that consist of hamburger, egg, etc. and mix up your own. And if you are a raw foodish you can eat it raw. That ought to taste a little better. LOL.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM

But, Jessaka, dogs may need a higher percentage of protein than I do. I would need to know what amounts of nutrients I need. That's where it starts getting complicated and why I want someone else to do that work for me, haha.

Maybe I could make some kind of a stew (meat and veggies) and freeze it in serving size packages. Maybe I'm weird in the sense that I wouldn't mind eating the same thing most of the time with the ocassional restaurant meal to break up the monotony.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 PM

If someone else is cooking, I could eat the same thing for DAYS!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Yeah, Burgi, I hear ya.

So, does anyone have any suggestions about what I should put in my stew (until someone else comes up with the bright idea of doing it for me)?

I want to use as few ingredients as possible, but still include the most nutrition. I'm thinking I'd want stew beef (cause it's tasty), potatoes, carrots, and a few other veggies. Any ideas about what other veggies I should include? They need to taste good with my other ingredients and pack the most nutrition.

Also, does anybody know of any websites that might help me create my stew? Something along the lines of getting the most nutrition with the smallest variety of foods. I would also be interested in how much stew to eat at one time; like how many ounces of stew for my gender and body size.

See what I mean? I'm not talking about eating something that tastes like dog food!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,941,331 times
JenniferLynn wrote:
Maybe I could make some kind of a stew (meat and veggies) and freeze it in serving size packages.
Anything with meat in it, seems like dog food to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness