Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,123,815 times

Advertisements

I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago and I was lucky that I had no problems with either orgasm or sex drive. I was also fortunate enough to never have to take any hormones.

I agree with the post that linked Hyster Sisters. It's a very resourceful site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:28 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I am only guessing, because I haven't had a hysterectomy, but a few things come to mind.
One, what does a uterus have to do with orgasms?
Two, why not try the ablation first? I have heard that this fixes the problem.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am only guessing, because I haven't had a hysterectomy, but a few things come to mind.
Some women have uterine contractions during orgasm. However, for many women, contractions can be painful. Uterine contractions during labor are painful. Uterine contractions during menses can be painful: menstrual cramps.

The OP has had a condition of the uterine lining that is associated with an increased risk of cancer of the uterine lining. An ablation may not destroy all of the lining. It would be possible for the abnormality to recur and progress to cancer but be hidden by the scarring of the uterine lining due to the ablation procedure. Ablation is probably not a good idea.

Hedge, has anyone ever suggested you might have adenomyosis? It is a condition caused by the uterine lining burrowing into the muscular wall of the uterus. One of the ways it can happen during healing of the scar from the uterine incision at Cesarean section.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I chose ablation. It worked well for me. If it hadn't, I would have had to have a hysterectomy. My doctor asked if I wanted to just go ahead and get the whole thing over with. My uterus wasn't diseased and I saw no reason to get rid of it. If the ablation didn't do the trick, there was a plan B.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:14 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,563 times
For those that had a hysterectomy, did you experience the 'swelly belly' condition that I have read about? It's when ur belly swells up after the surgery making you look like ur 5months pregnant and can last for from weeks to months.

Ugghh I am already on the track to lose like 20 pounds. If my belly swelled because of the hysterectomy and lasted that long id be depressed as hell.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:48 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
For those that had a hysterectomy, did you experience the 'swelly belly' condition that I have read about? It's when ur belly swells up after the surgery making you look like ur 5months pregnant and can last for from weeks to months.

Ugghh I am already on the track to lose like 20 pounds. If my belly swelled because of the hysterectomy and lasted that long id be depressed as hell.
Any surgery in the abdomen can cause problems with an accumulation of intestinal gas that causes temporary distension of the abdomen. There is no reason for a hysterectomy to cause swelling that would last for months.

Decreased activity after surgery can promote weight gain.

Women tend to gain weight as they age, and decreased activity is responsible for a lot of it.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Any surgery in the abdomen can cause problems with an accumulation of intestinal gas that causes temporary distension of the abdomen. There is no reason for a hysterectomy to cause swelling that would last for months.

Decreased activity after surgery can promote weight gain.

Women tend to gain weight as they age, and decreased activity is responsible for a lot of it.

I followed that link someone posted earlier for Hystersisters.com and there was a lot of talk about that 'swelly belly' condition on there. And they said it can be a common thing that happens after a hysterectomy. Ive had a myomectomy, and I didn't get the type of swelling they are describing with that procedure

Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,949 times
I had a total hysterectomy/oopherectomy - the whole shebang - with a midline incision due to severe endometriosis and an ovarian cyst and did not have "swelly belly". Same with my mom. I do think it requires some work to regain muscle tone for a tight abdomen after the midline incision, but I expected that. Targeted exercise solved that problem over time.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
Your uterus is beyond your cervix. Short answer, your orgasm won't change. The surgery does have the potential to change your private "space" which may cause vaginal discomfort during sex. Lubrication would remain the same.
I had a complete hysterectomy (including ovaries) at age 39. I was on a low dose of estrogen for about five or six years after that, and went off the estrogen slowly after that - now HRT free at age 53 and feeling GREAT.

However, I do feel like the OP asked a specific question and I'm going to give a specific answer to what sex feels like after the uterus is removed.

I'm sure many women can't feel any difference, and I won't argue with them over that - I can only speak for myself.

Prior to the hysterectomy, I was always very "aware" of my uterus - apparently it contracted a lot during sex and I also had very pronounced Braxton Hicks contractions during pregnancy.

I definitely felt and still feel a difference with the uterus gone. I still enjoy sex a lot but it often feels less intense. I don't have the throbbing feeling that I was accustomed to that emanates at least in part from the uterus contracting.

I can tell a difference. Sometimes I miss that more pronounced feeling. But overall, I immediately felt so much better (and still feel so much better) that I don't regret the surgery. It's not like I had much of a choice anyway - I truly needed a complete hysterectomy.

Ironically, my best friend had a complete hysterectomy a week before I did. Since she's my best friend, we talked in great detail about our experiences before and after the surgery. She didn't experience any difference.

So, OP, I guess it's a gamble. I would do whatever is best for your overall health though, because it's not like sex stops feeling good, and also, you're keeping your ovaries and that will help too.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Before my hysterectomy surgery, I had to meet with a nurse practitioner to discuss any questions I had. She told me that I would be unable to experience any uterine contractions during orgasm because there would no longer be a uterus. She did say many women never experience uterine contractions during orgasm prior to surgery, so they didn't miss it. For those women who are saying there is absolutely NO difference I find kind of unbelievable (but I'm happy for them). I experienced big differences, and from the info on the internet, I'm not alone. There is still a lot of research regarding the nerve endings in the cervix and uterus as it relates to sexual satisfaction. Removal of female organs is not like getting your tonsils out, even though years ago it was a cash cow for dr's and recommended way too frequently.

"In Human Sexual Response, Masters and Johnson define a four-stage model of female sexual response: the excitement phase, the plateau phase, orgasm, and the resolution phase. They say orgasm begins with vaginal contractions, which they termed the "orgasmic platform." Orgasm culminates with strong uterine contractions which is not possible after the uterus is removed."

That's not to say you won't be able to achieve orgasm once you have had your hysterectomy. I just think that it's important to go into it with your eyes open and be prepared for whatever changes it may bring.
Amen and amen.

Also, sex is also largely emotional, not just physical, so a woman's sex life after the surgery also depends on how she feels about no longer having a uterus or other "parts." Personally, I didn't feel like my womanhood or sexuality was tied to my uterus or ovaries, so it didn't bother me emotionally - in fact, I felt so much better IMMEDIATELY that I felt more positive than negative about the hysterectomy - and still do.

But some women do experience a sense of loss - of identity, of sexuality, purpose, and/or actual sensation, as you point out about the uterine contractions.

The way it affected me in a strictly physical way is that generally speaking (not always) orgasms feel more "one dimensional" rather than earth shattering. There are pleasant surprises but generally speaking, they're more like a gentle wave rather than a crashing wave.

They still feel really good though. Of course, a husband I adore is a big bonus!

One more thing, OP - if you can have a vaginal rather than abdominal hysterectomy, I highly recommend it. The recovery time is a lot faster and less painful. And of course, no scar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness