Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:01 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

/Culture has and still does much to shape the way we act.
And I think, in spite of efforts to persuade to the contrary by the third wave of feminism, biology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
Usually somebody starts studying to be a doctor around the age of 18 in college when they start premed and then medical school and will get an MD sometime in their mid 20s so I see no reason why women aren't just as capable as pursuing such a career as men. As for families, men have to play a role too and in this day and age usually both mom and dad are working full time.
No. You will be 30 minimum before all intense training is done.
It could be even 33-35.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:24 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Almost all pediatricians that we interviewed in the area for our children are women.

I think as women find equal footing in modern society the ratio between men and women doctors will balance out... if they already haven't. It just takes time to balance out after decades of women's roles in society not being compatible with career oriented lifestyles much less one that pursues such a difficult path as medical.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:33 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Almost all pediatricians that we interviewed in the area for our children are women.

I think as women find equal footing in modern society the ratio between men and women doctors will balance out... if they already haven't. It just takes time to balance out after decades of women's roles in society not being compatible with career oriented lifestyles much less one that pursues such a difficult path as medical.
As one stated Peds, OB/Gyn and a few other practices are becoming dominated by women. IIRC in 2010 nearly 75% of pediatric residency applications were from females.

There are many reasons for this but chief among them is male doctors worried about liability/malpractice issues and that they can make more money in other areas.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:40 PM

19 posts, read 16,673 times
Well in med school the gender ratio seems close to 1:1. So perhaps in the future this will not be the case.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
I know this is changing but why are most doctors men? Especially in the old days it was almost entirely men who were doctors but even to day you will find far more many men doctors than women doctors. Why is that?
I always assumed it was because more men than women applied for medical school. Sort of like why there are more female nurses than male nurses - more females apply for it than males.

Also why there are more female cashiers in Target than males. And more male dairy farm owners than females.

But yes it does depend on the specific field. Pediatrics, OB/GYN, probably more females. I'd have to take a guess that you won't find too many female doctors who specialize in prostate disorders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness