Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm mainly not wanting to get drugged up because I don't have someone to drive me. Unless you have a spouse - who would you ever ask to do this? I did it for my ex-hubby and no one could believe it - every nurse around was like..you're NOT married?! And yeah, he was farting the whole time continuously and totally messed up.... No, I don't want to go through that or make someone else, either. Geeez.....maybe YOU don't remember it, but believe me, your driver will get an earful and they WILL remember.
I hire a sitter to drive me when no one is available. And I don't remember farting after I woke up.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-12-2015 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,233 times
Quote:
I'm mainly not wanting to get drugged up because I don't have someone to drive me. Unless you have a spouse - who would you ever ask to do this? I did it for my ex-hubby and no one could believe it - every nurse around was like..you're NOT married?! And yeah, he was farting the whole time continuously and totally messed up.... No, I don't want to go through that or make someone else, either. Geeez.....maybe YOU don't remember it, but believe me, your driver will get an earful and they WILL remember.
My ex-FIL drove me to one of mine, not exactly the best choice. My only other option was taking the bus and no way was I doing that after all that prep!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:05 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It wouldn't work for me. I had my first without anaesthesia and it was like something from a medieval torture chamber. Some of us, apparently, aren't built for comfort with this procedure.
It seems to me that the main source of that misery would be from their blowing all that air into your intestines during the colonoscopy for visualization purposes, and maybe the discomfort of peristalsis as the tube is advancing. I'd guess it would also smart some if they "snipped" some polyps for biopsies. In any case, I'm with you, I don't want to know what's happening and much prefer to be in lala land during a colonoscopy.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:12 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I had my colonoscopy, they told me that the anesthesia is super light and that it's not uncommon for people to wake up during the procedure and have conversations with the staff that seem perfectly normal, though they seldom remember them. In fact, that happened to my husband.

Apparently the anesthesia IS very light because I woke up with no problems and in just a few minutes, and had no ill effects whatsoever - very different from the general anesthesia I had when I had major surgery. No nausea, no grogginess, nothing. After we left the hospital we went out to eat and I ate like a field hand!
That happened to me too. I don't think I came to fully, but was aware of a gawdawful discomfort in my belly and the feeling there was something up my nether region. I remember not being awake enough to talk but I must have rubbed my belly and moaned or something, because someone answered " yeah, you have a belly full of air", and that is all I remember.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I hire a sitter to drive me when no one is available. And I don't remember faring after I woke up.
Exactly...you don't remember....

Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
The OP's original question was whether it's possible to have a colonoscopy without anesthesia, and I think the best answer to that is: ask your doctor.

My gut feeling (if you'll pardon the pun) is that your doctor will want you to have an IV inserted just in case you do need anesthesia at some point during the procedure, but you can probably start the procedure without anesthesia and see how it goes. But ask your doctor.

Most of the people who have posted here (and I include myself in this) have no interest in being awake during a colonoscopy, but if that's what floats your boat, go for it.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:49 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
I get the sense that you would prefer to die rather than be embarrassed by farting? If that's the case, I offer my sympathies to you.

Let me tell you that the part you don't remember is the time you're not conscious. Once you awaken, you know where you are and what you're doing. And most facilities will allow time for you to become fully awake and alert before they let you dress and leave. The endoscopy center where I usually go offers a beverage - coffee, tea, juice - and a light snack like graham crackers or cookies. During this time, if there's flatulence, you can get rid of it.

I have sons and dtrs-in-law who will make themselves available to drive me and take me to a restaurant for something to eat when the procedure is over. I've never had the problem you describe. If I had a friend who needed a ride for the scope, I'd volunteer in a minute.

Once diagnosed with colon cancer, there's isn't much that can embarrass you.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:17 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
I've done it "cold turkey" and plan on doing it again the same way next time around.

You should consult with the referring physician and determine which facility will accommodate your request; only one of the three from which I had a choice would.

It probably also helps if you've lost any hang-ups about rectal penetration; I spent six weeks confined to a body cast as a youngster, and you're not likely avoid such procedures in that situation -- so I knew what to expect.

Finally, while I informed my "team" that I wanted to avoid any sedation if possible, It sometimes happens that easing that scope around the bends in the colon can be uncomfortable, they did insist, and I agreed, that I would submit to it at the first serious problem, I did feel the scope come close to the surface of may abdomen at one point, but one of the people assisting was able to quickly turn it in the right direction with the palm of her hand.

So I was able to complete the procedure, watch some very interesting images on an overhead display, drive myself home. and leave with a pretty unusual "bar bet" (So you think you get around, buddy? Well, I've seen one place you probably haven't! )

Old 04-12-2015, 01:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
I've had a colonoscopy twice and was knocked out both times, and that's the way I want it. I've talked to people who had the procedure while conscious and it was a very painful experience for them. If it hurts then you can't relax, and if you can't relax then you tighten your sphincter. No thank you.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
They don't use anaesthesia in my country. I've had it done twice and I would not recommend having it done without. The pain was not minimal, it was bloody horrible. Besides, you don't actually see what's going on, not unless they have an extra screen pointing at you because obviously the one facing the doctor won't be visible from where your head is.
Inadvertantly, I came out of the sedation because of the pain during the procedure......that won't ever happen again........

eta: the doctor doing the procedure was very rough and dismissive of what was happening. I complained to my family afterwards and he came an apologized. Needless to say, I never went back to him.....never had another problem and have had several, with polyps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness