Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Thanks.

The meds i take daily are
Metformin
Onglysa
amlodipine
coversyl

Levimir (Insulin)
Novorapid (Insulin)

The doctor says the source of my edema is heart related and not kidney related.
In the last year i've given up alcohol, Wheat based products,dairy based products and am eating more vegetables and less meat,i do 1 hour at the gymn every morning, its very frustrating to make all these changes and see virtually no weight change or health benefits over the course of a year .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:54 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
My Dr. said to take a bath instead of a shower and keep legs and feet under water for a while. The water shouldn't be too hot. That and swimming helps. Also walking up and down stairs and exercising legs and ankles.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 PM

Oh how i miss taking baths,unfortunately our apartment only has a shower stall.and most contemporary baths i see at friends houses dont look that comfortable for bath purposes more a glorified catch basin for the shower.
http://www.oldbathtubs.com/oldtubs/oldafter.jpg
I remember growing up with bathtubs that somewhat conformed to your body and were very comfortable,like this style=
https://tubrefinishing.files.wordpre...1/03/tub31.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 04-17-2015 at 11:17 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 12:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm 68 and 50lbs overweight and have had diabetes for 15 years and take much medication for Diabetes+insulin, High blood pressure meds and meds for Cholesterol. I can understand his reluctance to give me diuretics, other than giving up salt i was wondering if there are any other dietary options that would be beneficial.
Just a thought:I have heard vinegar (a shot a day) is a natural diurectic. You might give it a try. I can imagine how you feel. Hubby has one leg that is always swollen. He did have a blood clot a few years ago, but tests show there are none now, yet the swelling continues. Of course the conpression hose have been recommended but they are almost impossible to get on. He is on a mild diuretic. He also does have some kidney problems but apparently that has nothing to do with his swelling. He has had almost every test known to mankind and nother shows anything that would cause the swelling. I am glad to hear your doctor has said your swelling has nothing to do with heart failure. I think too many people jump to conclusions.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just a thought:I have heard vinegar (a shot a day) is a natural diurectic. You might give it a try. I can imagine how you feel. Hubby has one leg that is always swollen. He did have a blood clot a few years ago, but tests show there are none now, yet the swelling continues. Of course the conpression hose have been recommended but they are almost impossible to get on. He is on a mild diuretic. He also does have some kidney problems but apparently that has nothing to do with his swelling. He has had almost every test known to mankind and nother shows anything that would cause the swelling. I am glad to hear your doctor has said your swelling has nothing to do with heart failure. I think too many people jump to conclusions.

Has he tried the hose with a zipper?

Since the leg that is the one that had the clot, I suspect there is some underlying residual scarring that is causing the problem.

What is the post-phlebitic or post-thrombotic syndrome? | Blood Clots

Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Since the leg that is the one that had the clot, I suspect there is some underlying residual scarring that is causing the problem.

I have tried compression hose in the past and concur they are impossible to get on or off for some one with mobility issues.
The zippered ones sound ideal, however how do i determine what size i need?

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Zipper.../dp/B00IW62MOG

Old 04-20-2015, 05:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

you are right about the underlining residual and it appears he will always have some. As for the zipper hose, no, he hasn't tried them. One problem he has is a really bad hammer toe, so it is hard for him to get any hose on over the toe, plus his hands don't work too well. Oh well, aging isn't for sissies and we all know that. I am just happy he seems to be in relatively good health right now.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
I have tried compression hose in the past and concur they are impossible to get on or off for some one with mobility issues.

Amazon.com: Zipper Compression Socks: Sports & Outdoors
You might look for a local supplier of home health supplies. Someone can help you measure to get the right size.

I briefly wore some compression hose. Mine came with a silk sock that you put on your foot to make it easier to get the hose on; then you just slid the sock out from under the hose off the foot. A pair of sturdy rubber gloves helps with getting a grip on the hose to pull them on, too.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As for the zipper hose, no, he hasn't tried them. One problem he has is a really bad hammer toe, so it is hard for him to get any hose on over the toe,
Those zippered hose seem to be toeless as pictured in my link 16

Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:

Amazon.com: Zipper Compression Socks: Sports & Outdoors
I tend to have a bit of water retention in my legs, too, so I found those zipper hose interesting. In the description, it tells the measurements of ankle and calf (expressed as minimum/maximum) for each size.

Quote:
Medium: 6" minimum ankle circumference, 10" max.; 10" min. calf circumference, 14 1/2" max.
Large: 6 1/4" min. ankle circumference, 9 1/2" max.; 10 1/2" min. calf circumference, 16 1/2" max.
Extra Large: 6 1/2" min. ankle circumference, 10 1/2" max.; 11" min. calf circumference, 17 1/2" max. State Size. Order your pair today! Zipper Compression Socks
HTH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness