Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:42 PM

373 posts, read 482,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I apologize if this comes off as whining. I'm just at a loss as what to do. I've been to my Dr and had a whole blood workup. Everything came back ok except I was a little iron deficient. I stopped donating blood and started taking an iron supplement. Its been about 6-8 months and things have gotten even worse.

I can barely read an email. My typing is going downhill. Sometimes I can't figure out how the words I write flow together, if they are spelled correctly - even writing this is difficult. I don't really understand what I read for the most part and understanding conversations/particpating is is difficult. I use to be so sharp! The worst part is that 70% of my job involves writing.

I am exhausted all the time...but I lay-down and cant fall asleep. My hair is falling out and I'm always cold. WTH can I do? The doctor just wants me to keep taking iron. Everything else is coming back ok. I am so discouraged and I worry about losing my job because of this.

Ideas thoughts or suggestions? I'm desperate right now.
Looks like you have iron deficiency anemia and subclinical hypothyroid together. Just giving you oral iron supplement is not going to work. Have your doctor prescribe Synthroid 25 mcg per day as a starting dose (must take it on empty stomach, do not take it with iron). You are probably also not getting back iron adequately. Go to a hematologist - they can give you iron replacement in IV.

Here's an article if you are interested.
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/...0/jc.2008-1440
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 03:32 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,517 times
Sounds like low thyroid as others have suggested, especially symptoms of fatigue, hair falling out, and coldness. You may want to investigate fibromyalgia also. I have both conditions and the fuzziness is referred to as "fibro fog" and the fatigue is over-whelming sometimes. However, Fibromyalgia usually presents with pain, too........

Old 04-21-2015, 05:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Time for a second opinion. A guy I work with was throwing up every morning and was becoming sicker and sicker. His Dr couldn't find anything and started suggesting he was simply looking to score some pain medications. Finally his wife dragged him to a new Dr.

They found he had Pancreatic Cancer and was in stage 4 ! He is now cancer free, but it took a lot of surgeries and chemo . He would be dead if he listened to the first quack.

Go now, those are NOT normal symptoms.

Don

Old 04-21-2015, 06:06 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Thyroid. Get a second--even a third--opinion.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:29 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I'm not even very familiar with thyroid problems, but that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post. This could be a fairly simple fix. My best friend had her thyroid issues addressed and it was absolutely life changing.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:44 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
Thanks everyone. I'm sure my doctor thinks I'm just another patient who wants to blame everything on their thyroid. It feels very cliché, but good grief something isn't right.

I had my TSH levels tested a few years ago when I was at a different clinic and my results showed I was nearing HYPERthyroidism. At the time the doctor said not to worry, just to get regular checkups.

Every test I've taken since then (a blood work up each year), shows my TSH levels within the normal range. With only my kidney levels being elevated.

Since then I've asked about my thyroid on a number of occasions, but since my blood work showed normal results the doctor told me its fine and that it *can't* be the issue. I'll give it one more shot today with the same doctor. Hopefully they can do some additional labs or refer me out to an endo or something.

One question, can thyriod results swing between HYPER to normal to HYPO?

Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
Candida perhaps?

Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Full thyroid panel, not just TSH.
See an endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid.
My first endo was a diabetes guy and misdiagnosed me.
I know right?
Iron's not going to stop hair loss!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Candida perhaps?
It's probably a couple things now...we haven't touched on a lot of things...
nutrition all around is a biggy, too.

PS I knew a 57 year old woman on High bl press meds and heart pills of some kind and was losing clumps of hair..MDs did nothing.
I told her about this Oregon Medicine Man that said if you ever have hair or
nail issues drink 2 cups of rosemary tea.
She hated it and drank one cup for a week...that next week she said her hair loss dropped 75%.
She was very happy.

(Never boil it...throw some in after the boil has stopped, cover for 4-5 minutes only or
it is too bitter.)
Not saying this is the issue, understand...just an aside.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Time for a second opinion. A guy I work with was throwing up every morning and was becoming sicker and sicker.
His Dr couldn't find anything and started suggesting he was simply looking to score some pain medications.
Finally his wife dragged him to a new Dr.

They found he had Pancreatic Cancer and was in stage 4 !
He is now cancer free, but it took a lot of surgeries and chemo .
He would be dead if he listened to the first quack.
THIS is when the first doctor needs to be told of his mistake.
Too many people never tell the first MD they were SO wrong.
(Esp after an accusation like he just wanted meds.) Grrr...

Me? I'd be writing to the State Board of Regulations or DORA.
How dare he say that to the patient!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness