Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:28 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm sure my doctor thinks I'm just another patient who wants to blame everything on their thyroid. It feels very cliché, but good grief something isn't right.

I had my TSH levels tested a few years ago when I was at a different clinic and my results showed I was nearing HYPERthyroidism. At the time the doctor said not to worry, just to get regular checkups.

Every test I've taken since then (a blood work up each year), shows my TSH levels within the normal range. With only my kidney levels being elevated.

Since then I've asked about my thyroid on a number of occasions, but since my blood work showed normal results the doctor told me its fine and that it *can't* be the issue. I'll give it one more shot today with the same doctor. Hopefully they can do some additional labs or refer me out to an endo or something.

One question, can thyriod results swing between HYPER to normal to HYPO?
Thyroid problems are pretty common. I know several people who are actively being treated for thyroid problems.

And if it's out of whack to begin with, I don't think it would be so out there that it might be swinging wildly back and forth. But um, kidney levels could also be a clue to something going on and might have something to do with a thyroid issue.

I would definitely get a second opinion either way - you've got a host of problems with some very disturbing symptoms. It could even be a couple of things, with one issue masking the other. My feeling is that once you know WHAT is causing this, it will just be a matter of finding the right balance of meds.

Is this doctor an endocrinologist? I feel like that is really what you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,093 times
Quote:
I apologize if this comes off as whining. I'm just at a loss as what to do. I've been to my Dr and had a whole blood workup. Everything came back ok except I was a little iron deficient. I stopped donating blood and started taking an iron supplement. Its been about 6-8 months and things have gotten even worse.

I can barely read an email. My typing is going downhill. Sometimes I can't figure out how the words I write flow together, if they are spelled correctly - even writing this is difficult. I don't really understand what I read for the most part and understanding conversations/particpating is is difficult. I use to be so sharp! The worst part is that 70% of my job involves writing.

I am exhausted all the time...but I lay-down and cant fall asleep. My hair is falling out and I'm always cold. WTH can I do? The doctor just wants me to keep taking iron. Everything else is coming back ok. I am so discouraged and I worry about losing my job because of this.

Ideas thoughts or suggestions? I'm desperate right now.
This may sound a bit off the wall, but have you considered that you may be experiencing low level chronic carbon monoxide poisoning? This is what happened to me, and my symptoms were identical to yours except for the hair falling out part. I lived in an older home with a 50 year-old furnace that malfunctioned and started enitting CO. Since CO is odorless and colorless, I had no idea what was going on - nor did my doctors. It took the repair man from the local public utilities company to diagnose the problem. When he checked the air in my home he told me that he was amazed I hadn't died!

I sustained lasting damage from the CO poisoning and STILL can't type well, etc. It can't hurt to make sure your CO monitor is working and the air in your home is safe. Best of luck in getting a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:04 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Sounds like a thyroid problem. I was in the low but normal range. Doctor still put me on meds. It was like night and day. Wasn't as severe as you sound, but I could tell something wasn't right.
You don't usually run a temperature with hypo-thyroid though, however I agree with the fact that it sounds that way.

OP what is your age, sex and diet - this may help us. It could possibly be cleared up with supplements or a diet change. I'd find someone who does thyro-flex if it were me (and I'm incredibly hypo-thyroid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZK1qM8-HVs
It was the only thing that balanced mine after 36 years.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Check for thyroid (again, including TSH,T3 and T4, and Hashimoto's antibodies), chronic fatigue syndrome (also known as Epstein-Barre), Lyme disease, sleep apnea, mononucleosis, and iron levels.

The falling hair and always cold symptoms, as well as fatigue and brain fog, are CLASSIC thyroid symptoms. I have had been under treatment for Hashimoto's Disease (auto-immune thyroid disorder) for 30+ years, so I know all too well.

As someone else has said, if this Dr cannot solve this, take your records, including all lab results, and go to another Dr. immediately

Old 04-21-2015, 12:00 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,395 times
Current doctor is actually a Nurse Practitioner, past doctor was a GP.

I'm a 35y/o female. On a low calorie diet to lose weight (1200-1500 calories daily). No problems losing weight as long as I adhere to my calorie allotment. Typical daily meal below:

Breakfast: Coffee
Brunch: English Muffin and Smart Balance OR Steelcut Oatmeal
Lunch: Salad (a little chicken or beans) and Crackers w/ Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge
Dinner: Sausage, Brussels Sprouts, Kale and Cabbage Scramble with White Beans
OR Fried Egg, Toast, Bacon, red bell peppers
Snacks: Banana, beef jerky (Nitrate free like Tanka), Hard boiled Egg, Yogurt (low calorie yo-plait or Greek yogurt), 150 calories of junk food.

Supplements: Horsetail, Biocin, and Iron

Old 04-21-2015, 12:04 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,091 times
You should get a second opinion from another doctor - I would inquire about Mono - Epstein-Barr - Lyme - Thyroid - Vit D levels - I just noticed you are seeing an Endocrinologist - good move.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Hair falling out? That sounds like a couple of people I know. Have the MD rule out what they call a "thyroid storm." Don't let him tell you that it's "rare;" rare doesn't mean you don't have it.

Also: Have they ruled out Chronic Fatigue? Hashimoto's Disease? Mercury poisoning? Evfen eating too much tuna can give you mercury poisoning. (That last one blurs the mind AND makes your hair fall out.)

Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
TSH itself is quite sensitive to test for hypothyroid. Full thyroid panel is a waste of $ unless patient has specific risk factors for central hypothyroid.
Not true. There are a number of other factors involved in thyroid issues. Hashimotos runs in my family and TSH will not find this. I didn't know it ran in my family until I was tested and saw some cousins a few months later. You can also have T3 conversion problems while on synthetic T4 and you'll never see that without other tests either.

I'd recommend a naturopath who will keep an open mind and test everything for you. Most endocrinologists will not do this and will keep you on synthetic drugs. Even better is when you find one that only prescribes ONE drug instead of looking at a few different ones. People are not one size fits all.

I found out my B12 levels were insanely low (286) but were actually "in range" because Quest had not changed their range yet. B12 is not even tested in a basic blood panel. Look up symptoms of low B12.

Also get your iron levels tested - all of them, not just ferritin.

And Vitamin D

Quote:
Hashimotoes goes both ways, but it seems to be hypo more.

Most people that are hypo are always cold. My body temp is low but I'm always hot, always have been. Everyone is different.

Could also be adrenals, they go hand in hand unfortunately.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 04-21-2015 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I would also recommend an IgE blood test to see if you have any food allergies or sensitivities that could be causing you issues.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:40 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness