Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:01 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
anything that works is good! it just takes several weeks of being stubborn to any cravings to get past it. everyday you don't smoke or have puffs it gets better. there does come a day when having a smoke is no longer on your mind.

I posted earlier, I stopped buying cigarettes, but found tobacco products at home. So I made a deal with myself, I would buy 1 pack of Marlboro Ultra lights in exchange I would throw out all other tobacco products. I have no impulse control with smokes, if they are around I use em.

So since I started this thread I went from 1 carton a week to 1 pack a week, next pack is going to be none-tobacco (ginseng cigarets).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:05 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
The nicotine will leave your system in a relatively short time if you just don't put any in. The part that lingers is the whole mechanical thing and that's a matter of finding something else to do.

All of the suggestions here are good ones, and most of them were offered in the first few posts. We can talk until your ears fall off but it all comes down to how badly you are willing to work to kick tobacco.

Trust me, I know what you're going through. I've been there. When you mean it, it will happen.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,429,348 times
I quit the day after Thanksgiving, 1992. I had smoked off and on since about 1977, usually about a pack a day.

I had a goal of being able to bicycle from New Jersey to Montreal the following summer. Having a goal made it easy.

I never said I wouldn't smoke again, but after I got into such fantastic shape as when I made my bicycle trip, I couldn't imagine smoking again! I have a cigar now and then, very rarely and only for special occasions.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:14 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,891 times
It's not without its naysayers but vaping has worked wonders for my SO. Almost 30 years of smoking 2 packs a day and he hasn't had a real cigarette in 6 months. Much much cheaper and no icky smell. My advice to people going the ecig route is to ditch the gas station ones(garbage) and go ahead and shell out around $60-75 for an e stick online or a reputable vape shop. Avail vapors is our go to store. You can decrease your nicotine levels as desired. I even have some nicotine free flavors just for fun. My SO used to wake up every morning with a symphony of coughs.No more since about a week of stopping. He said the cheap ones just didn't do the trick and he wasted alot of money trying to take that route .

Old 04-28-2015, 04:26 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
The ONLY thing that ever worked for me was Chantix. I smoked for 21 years and tried everything under the sun.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How to give up smoking? its easy just dont ever smoke another cigarette,problem solved.Took me 40 years to figure it out
Yep. That's the secret. I was a heavy coffee drinker, and cold turkeyed off of coffee and cigarettes at the same time. The caffeine withdrawal was about as bad as the nicotine withdrawal. I slept through both of them.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I posted earlier, I stopped buying cigarettes, but found tobacco products at home. So I made a deal with myself, I would buy 1 pack of Marlboro Ultra lights in exchange I would throw out all other tobacco products. I have no impulse control with smokes, if they are around I use em.

So since I started this thread I went from 1 carton a week to 1 pack a week, next pack is going to be none-tobacco (ginseng cigarets).
You just have to really want to do it and then commit to it. And, yes, you will have cravings and moments of weakness. You may want to have something to help you through it. I used Nicorette for about a month to get through the tougher cravings. Or, you may want to just tough it out (not recommended; it's easy to relapse). I also don't recommend using herbal cigarettes or e-cigs. Breaking the psychological habit and oral fixation of the act of smoking is a huge part of being successful. My experience was that kicking the nicotine was the easy part. Once you get past about 2 weeks, it gets much easier. If you don't succeed, keep trying. I quit 7-8 times before it finally stuck. I now haven't had a smoke in 18 years.

One thing that will surely help you is the fact that smoking is way less accepted than it used to be. 20 years ago, it was literally everywhere.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post

awesome! keep at it.

FYI the in bold is true "junkie thinking" it is your addiction talking. I bring it up because a lot of people do not recognize when they think like this. learn to recognize it. for me and lots of folks the inner junkie thoughts creep up on you when you least expect it. they make perfect sense especially when you are feeling weak and you give in to the impulse. these thoughts are also why people relapse, months and even years later. the voice says you can have just one, after all it's been months since you smoked. it is a crazy addiction.

try not to take your quit for granted. it is a difficult thing to get past it all and after some time you forget how hard it was and then you think oh what will one hurt? I had been smoke free for 6 plus years when I relapsed because I thought I could handle one. it really is amazing how fast you can get back hooked. for me it took 3 puffs. the first puff tasted bad, in and out. the second tasted bad in, but out was good. by the third puff it was like I had never stopped. I smoked for another two years before I quit again. (which is exactly what the statistics say) my second quit I found more difficult then the first quit but after I got through it, it did teach me to never take my quit for granted, understand when it is your addiction talking and don't even play with the stuff. it has been a good 15 years now and I know I will never smoke again. I do not miss it in the least, neither will you.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,282 times
DPolo,

I'm only trying to help. I'll say this and then I won't say anything else. You said cigarettes have been a trusted and loyal friend (or something to that affect). Your friends s*** if they are trying to kill you with disease and are stealing your money. Get some new friends. It's all a matter of wrong thinking. We all do it in different areas of our lives. I'm not picking on you at all. Don't think for a second that there's not a ton of money being made in advertising...all the attractive people with a cigarette in their mouth (movies, television, magazines). They don't show people dying in agony because their is no money to be made in that. It's sad, but it's true. That's what advertising is all about ~ $$$$$$$. Girls ruining their skin in tanning beds. If they escape cancer they're still going to look WAY older than they are if they live past their thirties, but then again, if they look like hell when they are only thirty, they can always relax and have a cigarette.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
DPolo,

I'm only trying to help. I'll say this and then I won't say anything else. You said cigarettes have been a trusted and loyal friend (or something to that affect). Your friends s*** if they are trying to kill you with disease and are stealing your money. Get some new friends. It's all a matter of wrong thinking. We all do it in different areas of our lives. I'm not picking on you at all. Don't think for a second that there's not a ton of money being made in advertising...all the attractive people with a cigarette in their mouth (movies, television, magazines). They don't show people dying in agony because their is no money to be made in that. It's sad, but it's true. That's what advertising is all about ~ $$$$$$$. Girls ruining their skin in tanning beds. If they escape cancer they're still going to look WAY older than they are if they live past their thirties, but then again, if they look like hell when they are only thirty, they can always relax and have a cigarette.

US healthcare industry has been the top earning industry in the US, since the beginning of this year. Health care sector has made 11% returns in the last 3 month. US Technology has made less, only 10% growth in the same time frame. I am saying that there is more money to be made in healthcare then in anything else.

What can I tell you, from to time, even your closest friends become troublemakers. :-).

I am at 2-4 ultra light cigarets a day, an improvement from a carton a week. I also like to smoke marijuana, so I accept moving from 1 carton a week to 2-4 cigarets a day (1 pack a week) as winning a major battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness