Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:39 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times

Advertisements

I smoked 2 pack for probably 15 years....quit cold turkey 25 years ago when I woke up coughing and couldn't catch my breath....used sipping straws, or toothpicks in my mouth instead of cigarettes. My Wife has been smoking for over 30 years....10 cigarettes a day.....tried Chantex twice, got down to one cig a day, then ramped right back up. Currently has used Nicoderm CQ, went the entire route and hasn't smoked in 3 months. For the past 2 months, I've been seeing Doctors and Pulmonologist for what looks like a little Lung Cancer.....hopefully this will help her stay away from the cigs, and maybe show all our family and friends that "Yes, it could happen to you" if nothing else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 05:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
So, did everyone get fat? I'm already overweight and I know I'd gain more if I quit. Then what?

A friend of mine quit for about 7 years. She went from no exercise to walking about 5 miles every day after she quit. She was really watching her calorie intake also. She never lost an ounce. That is discouraging.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
So, did everyone get fat? I'm already overweight and I know I'd gain more if I quit. Then what?

A friend of mine quit for about 7 years. She went from no exercise to walking about 5 miles every day after she quit. She was really watching her calorie intake also. She never lost an ounce. That is discouraging.
You are infinitely healthier being overweight than you are smoking.
Give up the smoking then if you gain weight work on that.
Using the excuse you'll gain weight if you give up smoking is kinda lame.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:54 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
From my experience, To anyone who is thinking about drugs like Chantix, I would recommend Marlboro Ultra lights, that crap is so horrible, you would think often about quitting while smoking it

That's what I used to smoke.

Cat

Old 05-02-2015, 11:03 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

When my sister quit, she said it was a fast on & fast off. When quit, I gained fast but I kept waiting for the fast off-but it never happened because I also was going to menopause at the same time. Double whammy. (She was a lot younger when she quit than I was when I quit.)

When you quit, you need to exercise.

Cat

Old 05-02-2015, 11:20 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
One evening as I pondered the fact that I had to quit smoking, it occurred to me that I was going about it wrong. My tendency was to set a date days or weeks away, and then try and prepare myself mentally. Instead, I just suffered days or weeks of stress as I contemplated the unpleasant time looming ahead of me.

At that moment I realized that what I needed to do was to quit on the spur of the moment. I further realized that once I had this epiphany, I needed to eliminate the stressful pre-quitting phase by quitting then and there. And so I did, and I mean immediately - I quit mid-cigarette. Then I crushed the half-full pack of Marlboros I had left.

That was it. I haven't had a cigarette since. The next few days were very unpleasant, the next few weeks moderately unpleasant, and the next year mildly challenging. For years after, I found second-hand smoke mildly pleasant. Now, 13 years on, even that is gone.

Quote:
I can not do that !

I can not tell myself I will never smoke again. That will frighten me and make me run to get more cigs. I have to tell myself I am eliminating all the times I smoke out of habit (without even noticing) and will now only smoke when I really want it.
You need to figure out what you want. You title this thread as though you want to be a non-smoker. But the sentence of yours that I highlighted makes clear you intend to continue smoking.

So stop making excuses. If you want to quit, quit. That's it. There are no pleasant ways to do it. Quitting sucks. As measured by success rate both in terms of smoking cessation and recidivism, cold turkey is the best method for quitting smoking.

When you're ready to get serious, stop smoking - period. But don't kid yourself that it'll be easier if you do it later. The time to become a non-smoker is before you finish reading this sentence.

PS - "I'll just have this one cigarette!" is a line uttered by ex-smokers who are about to become full-time smokers again.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Ultimately to stop smoking you will have to actually stop smoking,thats easy,the hard part comes an hour or so later when you want that next hit of nicotine,analyze whats going on in your head at this time as this is where the battle is won or lost, sure the nicotine addiction will be strong at this point but if you are ever to give up this filthy habit this is what it ultimately comes down to ,common sense and a desire to kick the nicotine addiction or caving to the demands of that nicotine monkey on your back for the rest of your life
You are right it aint easy in fact it might be the toughest thing you ever do,Do yourself and everyone around you a favor grab that monkey by the neck and with extreme prejudice put an end to its miserable existence. Grrrrr

Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Oh my, I have not gone a day without a cigarette since I started this thread. Guess I will talk to a doctor about Chantix when I go get my blood work done in a week or so.

Given my lifestyle the scary part is that I might start smoking again after the 3 month of Chantix.

Ok, lets start again. How do I quit smoking again ?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
have u tried an ecig?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
I can not do that !

I can not tell myself I will never smoke again. That will frighten me and make me run to get more cigs. I have to tell myself I am eliminating all the times I smoke out of habit (without even noticing) and will now only smoke when I really want it.
Grow up.

Grow a pair.

The secret to quitting anything? Don't go buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness