U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,940 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone on here has both. There is a link between the two but the doc's don't know what it is. I have both. Just wondering how others have dealt with this in life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: S.E. US
13,169 posts, read 607,128 times
Reputation: 5117
There's a book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" that touches on this. It's a good book to have for anyone with GI diseases (IBS, ulcerative colitis, celiac, chron's, etc). There's more about it in the Gluten free oatmeal thread.

Not, it's not a good book. It's an excellent book if one wants to really understand what is going on.

Did you know that some GI diseases even affect brain function, sleep, and dreams? It definitely has an efect on the entire nervous system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
 
Location: S.E. US
13,169 posts, read 607,128 times
Reputation: 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
There's a book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" that touches on this. It's a good book to have for anyone with GI diseases (IBS, ulcerative colitis, celiac, chron's, etc). There's more about it in the Gluten free oatmeal thread.

Not, it's not a good book. It's an excellent book if one wants to really understand what is going on.

Did you know that some GI diseases even affect brain function, sleep, and dreams? It definitely has an efect on the entire nervous system.
I was wrong. The book doesn't mention MS. I must have subconsciously concluded there may be a connection because of malabsorption, inability to digest certain carbohydrates, and impact of resulting intestinal toxins on the nervous system and the brain (which is discussed at some length).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM
 
13,138 posts, read 38,544,031 times
Reputation: 12239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30_something View Post
I was wondering if anyone on here has both. There is a link between the two but the doc's don't know what it is. I have both. Just wondering how others have dealt with this in life.
They think the link has to do with the Gluten causing microholes in the intestines where proteins can enter that should be taken up thru the intestinal Villi instead so this causes an inflammatory process which causes the T-Cells to go on the attack on the body's own tissues.

Just a theory but thats my understanding of Celiac and MS.

Here's a good site with some info on this...
celiac.org
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 05:25 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,060 times
Reputation: 11
Yes I have both MS and Celiac. I had MS first, about 20 years now, and Celiac decided to join in about 3 years agoNooooot fun at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,801 times
Reputation: 11
I have Celiac and am about to get tested for M.S. due to some unexplained symptoms I am having. Anybody know the statistic probability of having both???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Buxton, England
7,023 posts, read 10,159,794 times
Reputation: 3630
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I was wrong. The book doesn't mention MS. I must have subconsciously concluded there may be a connection because of malabsorption, inability to digest certain carbohydrates, and impact of resulting intestinal toxins on the nervous system and the brain (which is discussed at some length).

I would believe this, I've got coeliac disease and some level of malabsorption and recently have had awful periphereal neuropathy including numbness, tingling, burning pains and the lot, utter crap.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 03-10-2011 at 07:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,726 times
Reputation: 10
Just googling coeliac and MS - Ive had coeliac for 5 years and have recently started with neurological problems too. Am booked in for an MRI on Thursday

Keep us posted how you all get on
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara
1,474 posts, read 2,778,151 times
Reputation: 961
I find this interesting. I have had lifelong issues with my stomach/digestion/whatever and also have MS. I have never been tested for celiac. Off to do some research.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara
1,474 posts, read 2,778,151 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate0 View Post
Just googling coeliac and MS - Ive had coeliac for 5 years and have recently started with neurological problems too. Am booked in for an MRI on Thursday

Keep us posted how you all get on
Good luck with your MRI. I tend to get a little squirmy during the MRI so if you have not had one, be prepared to be very still. If you have any questions re MS or tests for it, feel free to ask me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top