Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 03:36 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
C-section rates are very low in my country. I laboured in the hospital for over 9 hours, there wasn't even a question of a c-section. A friend in the UK laboured for 60 hours - no c-section.

Finland also has a no-fault compensation program for medical injuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 03:57 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
With my first I was induced due to being a week past my due date and the possibility of a C-section was mentioned about 7 hours in because they said I wasn't contracting fast enough. Thankfully that didn't happen and I gave birth a few hours later. With my second I went into labor at home. It started with some mild contractions followed by my water breaking. It wasn't like the movies though, it was just a very slow trickle and that continued until I gave birth. I stayed home for a good 24 hours before heading to the hospital and only when the contractions became unbearable. Once there, they gave me an epidural that I asked for and a few hours later gave me Pitocin because I wasn't progressing. I was stuck at 5cm for long time. My baby was born a couple of hours after that.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,635,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Traditionally if you don't over-eat and gain too much weight, your baby should not go about 7lbs then you should be able to push the baby out fine. Today too many women are too over weight during pregnancy which cause their baby to get too big.

Epidural should be use as late as possible because it can complicate delivery. You may have problems feeling where the baby and the contractions can go numb with it.

It's best to administer epidural when the pain is too much that causes you to not have any strength.

As for C-Sections vs natural, one should alway go natural as the 1st choice unless doctors believe you need a C-section.

Once you choose a C-Sec then you have nothing but complications later on if you care about a pretty tummy say hello to scars.
That is not necessarily true - I had my daughter by C section and had no complications or problems. The scar has since faded to near invisibility and isn't particularly noticeable if I'm wearing a two-piece bathing suit.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:38 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
With my first I was induced due to being a week past my due date and the possibility of a C-section was mentioned about 7 hours in because they said I wasn't contracting fast enough. Thankfully that didn't happen and I gave birth a few hours later. With my second I went into labor at home. It started with some mild contractions followed by my water breaking. It wasn't like the movies though, it was just a very slow trickle and that continued until I gave birth. I stayed home for a good 24 hours before heading to the hospital and only when the contractions became unbearable. Once there, they gave me an epidural that I asked for and a few hours later gave me Pitocin because I wasn't progressing. I was stuck at 5cm for long time. My baby was born a couple of hours after that.
Very good advice, especially in today's world. Stay home for as long as possible. If you don't, they won't tell you to go home and wait as in the past, they will admit a woman and give Pitocin to speed up labor.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
I can't speak for anyone else' experience, but my OB were very big on taking it case-by-case; I cooperated with all of the "interventions" like continuous monitoring and an IV locked and loaded, so as long as baby and I were both doing well and labor was progressing there wasn't any pressure to watch the clock. Also, my water didn't break until it was time to push, so the risk of infection was minimal, too (although I'm living proof that low risk isn't no risk). I just happened to be... blessed... with mispositioned babies and a small pelvis. It was slow and steady progresses, and with my last one everything went fine up until the end, when everything sort of hit the fan. I didn't even realize how bad it was until long afterwards, and I had a complete mental breakdown when it all hit me. Although I am done having babies, should the unexpected happen, I would absolutely elect for a c-section. Hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is the problem. The vast majority of children could be delivered vaginally without injury to either the child or the mother. I think the figure I heard once was 96%. In about 4% of all deliveries things go wrong and they go wrong very badly. The trick is to prevent things from ever getting to that point. That is the justification for doing more C-sections than are absolutely required.

Approximately 22% of all pregnancies carried to term in my state are delivered by C-section now.

Frankly, it scares me you had labors that went on that long. I do wonder why the doctor didn't do a C-section in your case. However, maybe you were progressing in terms of cervical dilation.

Obstetricians use something called a "Friedman Curve" to assess how a labor is going. If the mother doesn't fully dilate within about seven hours, diagnoses like CPD must be considered. Although, some have criticized the Friedman Curve and suggest that doctors should be more patient.

I think C-sections are safer and should be done when there is any significant doubt of a safe delivery. Its not "natural". However, sometimes natural things can kill us. Death is part of nature. I suspect if wild animals could talk they wouldn't be so enamored of nature. Their lives tend to be shorter than animals in captivity.

As far as labor goes, I'm grateful my gender gets to skip that experience I have had four kidney stones though. Someone suggested the experience might be about as unpleasant as labor. Perhaps, someone who has been through both experiences can enlighten me.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:48 PM

That's not good advice for women who are GBS+. My baby contracted it from me because I chose to stay home too long and didn't get the full dose of antibiotics to prevent it. Pitocin is certainly more favorable than a baby with a deadly bacterial infection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Very good advice, especially in today's world. Stay home for as long as possible. If you don't, they won't tell you to go home and wait as in the past, they will admit a woman and give Pitocin to speed up labor.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:32 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's not good advice for women who are GBS+. My baby contracted it from me because I chose to stay home too long and didn't get the full dose of antibiotics to prevent it. Pitocin is certainly more favorable than a baby with a deadly bacterial infection.
Pitocin is now given after 7 hours of labor if a mother is not dilated enough by what the "book" says, even if baby is not in distress or has any other condition. My daughter was told this one year ago in the hospital. They told her she had NO CHOICE in the matter.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 PM

While that may be the policy of where your daughter gave birth, it is not standard procedure. Either way, she has every right to refuse consent, which must be documented by the staff.
Quote:
Pitocin is now given after 7 hours of labor if a mother is not dilated enough by what the "book" says, even if baby is not in distress or has any other condition. My daughter was told this one year ago in the hospital. They told her she had NO CHOICE in the matter.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
While that may be the policy of where your daughter gave birth, it is not standard procedure. Either way, she has every right to refuse consent, which must be documented by the staff.
It may be the standard at that particular facility, but it is not universal policy.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:27 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
There is no "book" that states pitocin should be started after any given number of hours in labor. If the cervix has passed 4 centimeters and not changed with regard to dilation in seven hours, however, there is a problem and it needs to be evaluated. If the problem is poor quality contractions, pitocin is indicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness