Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:44 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
have you tried this.....
Yes. It works. Staying relaxed during childbirth is much better than getting all worked up and then having no alternative but to get pumped full of drugs, or undergo a C-section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 12:45 PM

12,842 posts, read 868,660 times
why would women want to give birth "naturally"

I don't know why women want to give birth at all.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:30 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no "book" that states pitocin should be started after any given number of hours in labor. If the cervix has passed 4 centimeters and not changed with regard to dilation in seven hours, however, there is a problem and it needs to be evaluated. If the problem is poor quality contractions, pitocin is indicated.
Chart which says by hour how many centimeters a woman should be dilated. If not at that number, failure to progress.

Modern medicine wants to intervene for everything in all aspects of your life, not just childbirth. My labors were 24 and 30 hours. That would never be allowed to happen with today's medicine.

Do you understand why some woman are avoiding hospitals totally for childbirth?

The bottom line is that all mothers, and all adults in general, should have the right to make their own decisions for childbirth and medical treatment. One size does not fit all, and it shouldn't.

Last edited by Jo48; 05-02-2015 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 01:52 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Chart which says by hour how many centimeters a woman should be dilated. If not at that number, failure to progress.

Modern medicine wants to intervene for everything in all aspects of your life, not just childbirth. My labors were 24 and 30 hours. That would never be allowed to happen with today's medicine.

Do you understand why some woman are avoiding hospitals totally for childbirth?
If you are referring to Friedman's curve, that applies to a woman in active labor - once the cervix has reached about 4 centimeters. It does not apply to the entire length of labor. If a woman stops dilating after 4 centimeters, there is a problem that needs to be diagnosed and treated. Pitocin is indicated if the contractions are too far apart or if they are too weak. It would not be used if the contractions are strong and two to three minutes apart. A labor that is not progressing despite adequate contractions may mean the baby is too big for the pelvis or malpositioned. Pitocin would actually be contraindicated.

Allowing a woman to stay 4 centimeters dilated for 24 to 30 hours would just be setting both mom and baby up for an infection or worse, including increasing the risk of what would most likely be a Cesarean for an obstucted labor.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:16 PM

My first, breech daughter was born 1979 at 7 lbs after 24 hours. That is from the first contraction to delivery. My second daughter was born in 1984 at 7.8 lbs after 30 hours. Big babies? No, just not correct positions. She was in a posterior position (back labor). Not only was I not a first time mother (tested labor and delivery) with her, but they sent me home from the hospital because my contractions were too far apart. That did not happen with her sister because my water broke very early on so the hospital took me right away. My water never broke with my second. Doctor did it.

The medical staff in those days did not consider all those hours of labor to be anything warranting intervention earlier. Both babies were born fine without any complications. Obviously, they are both adults today.

To each her own, but I would not do anything different in hindsight. Then again, I have cavities drilled without novacane and refuse pain meds after root canals and extractions. Would medicine force those on anyone? It's about choice for the individual person and what they personally consider pain.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:50 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
My first, breech daughter was born 1979 at 7 lbs after 24 hours. That is from the first contraction to delivery. My second daughter was born in 1984 at 7.8 lbs after 30 hours. Big babies? No, just not correct positions. She was in a posterior position (back labor). Not only was I not a first time mother (tested labor and delivery) with her, but they sent me home from the hospital because my contractions were too far apart. That did not happen with her sister because my water broke very early on so the hospital took me right away. My water never broke with my second. Doctor did it.

The medical staff in those days did not consider all those hours of labor to be anything warranting intervention earlier. Both babies were born fine without any complications. Obviously, they are both adults today.

To each her own, but I would not do anything different in hindsight. Then again, I have cavities drilled without novacane and refuse pain meds after root canals and extractions. Would medicine force those on anyone? It's about choice for the individual person and what they personally consider pain.
Sure, choice of pain relief should be up to each person.

My initial response was to your statement that pitocin would be started after seven hours of labor. It is not.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I had my first 3 babies "naturally." Back then it was thought that epidurals could be harmful to babies. I was also terrified of the epidural needle. I also had very fast labors, so usually by the time I was dilated enough to get an epidural, the baby was there 20 min later.

With my son the tough part of labor stalled, so I got an epidural. It only worked on one side! Which I tell people is about as helpful as having half a broken arm. I was screaming so much from the pain, the doctor told me I was scaring all the other patients (hahaha). He ended up breaking my water, and my son was born shortly after.

I would tell my daughters to get the epidural! I feel like I suffered a lot needlessly.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sure, choice of pain relief should be up to each person.

My initial response was to your statement that pitocin would be started after seven hours of labor. It is not.
It was for my daughter's first child, May 14, 2014. Baby was not in distress. She also said she is never going back to that hospital again. Maybe Pitocin is not ROUTINELY given, but that hospital said it was routine for them, and were giving to her whether she wanted it or not.

I will not post their name but it is a Long Island Hospital.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Same here. As much as I hated having it put in, I had nothing but positive experiences with epidurals. My contractions evened out, I was calmer and more in control, and none of my babies were "floppy" or ill-effected by it. I'm not sure if I got a different type of epidural than some others, but I was never numb or unable to move around as much as I wanted to; I had a little button to dispense another hit whenever I felt I needed it, and was able to let it wear off when it was time to push, so I was in complete control of my pushing. Really, all it did was take the edge off the pain and help me enjoy the experience more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I would tell my daughters to get the epidural! I feel like I suffered a lot needlessly.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 05-02-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 04:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I gave birth at St. Charles in 2005 and Stony Brook in 2008 and 2010, and several of my friends have given birth recently at both hospitals, as well as St. Catherine's and Peconic Bay. NONE of us were given pitocin or held to an arbitrary clock or chart. My cousin is also an L&D nurse at North Shore LIJ, and it is not done there, either.
Quote:
It was for my daughter's first child, May 14, 2014. Baby was not in distress. She also said she is never going back to that hospital again. Maybe Pitocin is not ROUTINELY given, but that hospital said it was routine for them, and were giving to her whether she wanted it or not.

I will not post their name but it is a Long Island Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness