Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

My previous post has been deleted because it appeared off-topic. I should have elaborated on my point. I asked, "Why do people run ultra-marathons?" They do it because it's fulfilling to push their bodies beyond what they think is possible. While not my reason for going without pain relief, I felt incredibly powerful after completing labor "naturally." I did it safely, in a birthing center attached to a tradional hospital OB unit, because I'm not crazy! I felt incredible afterwards, at least as much as you can feel incredible after pushing out an eight-pound baby. It was exhilarating, so much so that when it came time to have my second, I wanted to do it again. The third was a different story. The details don't matter, but the Demarol was necessary. I truly don't understand the underlying critical tone of the initial post. Why does it matter how women labor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I really don't understand the women who want to give birth without medicine. What in the world would make them want to do it "naturally"? What's so great about having to bear the pain that nature gives you instead of trying to escape it? It's like saying: nature just blew my lights in the house, I will happily bear it and will try to live without the lights, because it's the "natural" way. Or if the tsunami comes, you say: I will die happily because it's the natural way, it's what nature wants me to do.

And here is another weird thing. People go around and spread flu and give it to their loved ones. Why don't they care? Why do they easily just forward a week or two of misery to their friend or relative? I think they should have cared enough not to do that. But it's like their brain doesn't know that it's a bad thing.

Why do you care how women choose to give birth?
Does this affect your life in any way, shape or form?

There is this one little detail of life called "Choice" and that choice applies to the one making the decision about their lives, their bodies and the way they want to give birth.
No matter what anyone else says or thinks about it.

You should find a new hobby, right after you ensure you own life is perfect.

Flu and colds can also be spread before one knows they have either, before symptoms are aggressively showing.

Nothing perfect in this world.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I have four kids. I had Demerol with the first and didn't care for the loss of control and drowsiness, so opted to go all natural with the second...and third...and fourth.

Actually I would have liked some pain relief with the third but for reasons I won't go into here because they would be long and boring, that wasn't an option for me. And I survived the pain and it's all good.

I won't say that the births were without any pain, because that would be a lie, but the pain was definitely something I could tolerate, and I preferred being very alert and having no risk of side effects from any meds or procedures. It worked well for me and my babies.

To each his own - but it's hard to argue with success.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,107 times
For me, I wanted to experience labor and see what my body would do without anything numbing/altering the experience. When you remove fear and tension, there isn't that much pain. The idea that labor is a negative, painful experience is one that many if not most natural birthing types reject. It is an amazing experience to birth a baby with no tubes or wires attached to you. No swelling afterward, no side effects from medicines or needles, no paralysis. I have had both a medicated and unmedicated delivery and would hands-down choose unmedicated again if I ever had another kid.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:04 PM

465 posts, read 613,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I really don't understand the women who want to give birth without medicine. What in the world would make them want to do it "naturally"? What's so great about having to bear the pain that nature gives you instead of trying to escape it? It's like saying: nature just blew my lights in the house, I will happily bear it and will try to live without the lights, because it's the "natural" way. Or if the tsunami comes, you say: I will die happily because it's the natural way, it's what nature wants me to do.

And here is another weird thing. People go around and spread flu and give it to their loved ones. Why don't they care? Why do they easily just forward a week or two of misery to their friend or relative? I think they should have cared enough not to do that. But it's like their brain doesn't know that it's a bad thing.
I didn't want to. But it happened twice! My labors are very quick. By the time I got to the Hospital it was too late. I practically had my son in the car. I did not experience long drawn out labors. With my daughter the pain was not bad. In fact because I did not have an epidural I could push and because it hurt she was out FAST. I was determined to get her out. My son was a different story. My labor with him was ridiculous. The pain was awful!!! I thought I was going to die. He was a 10 lb baby!!! I begged for drugs but I barely made it on delivery table. In fact when we were in the ER a lady screamed shes gonna have her baby on the floor. I had zero drugs so he was out pretty quickly too. One push.

If I had a third child I would do the same. I lived, they lived. And I was aware of everything. I think because I could feel it all I was able to push quickly therefore shortening how long it takes. My sister pushed forever and she had an epidural. She said she got too much and could not feel anything. I can't imagine that. I liked it my way, even though it was not planned both times. For some reason I took after my mom. Who actually did have my sister in a hallway of the hospital.

In regards to the flu..HUH? People don't spread the flu on purpose. What are you talking about??

Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Yeah, thats why i dont have sympathy for women when people throw out the old "women have to give birth" blanket statement...its not a nightmare for every woman. Some women enjoy pregnancy and some women even orgasm and experience pleasure during the birthing process. And if it is too painful for some, like you say, most can always get an epidural or a c-section, so it cant be all bad.
Yes, because c-sections are just a walk in the park...no pain involved.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,857 times
When I had my first, I was young and naive. I had been on bed rest for 7 weeks and was unable to attend childbirth classes. Several of the women in our Sunday School class had given birth that year, and were bringing me meals and telling me their horror stories. (PSA: Do not tell an expectant mother on bed rest your horror stories!!) They all said "get the epidural, you won't feel a thing!" So I did. I had a lot of trouble with it. The epidural was extremely painful for me. (I still have pain in that area at times.) I had "back labor" and the epidural did nothing to take the pain away. My doctor finally sat down and looked me in the eyes. "I don't know who told you this wouldn't hurt, but they were wrong! This is childbirth. It hurts!" Yikes.

Two and a half years later, when I arrived at the hospital, I asked the doctor if I had to get the epidural. He said it was my choice. I had no idea we had choices in these things! (Like I said. Young and naive, and no internet!) All I had was some demerol. No epidural, and it was a lot easier for me. My niece had hers at a birthing center, completely natural. She labored in a bathtub with her husband and her best friend (who was a doula) and was amazing. She's expecting #2, and I'm sure she'll do the same thing.

What I don't like is the implication that what you're doing is wrong. I think women need to be supportive of each other. Everyone has the right to choose how they give birth, feed their babies, diaper their babies, raise their babies, etc. I really think the Mommy Wars are horrible.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
Generally, no. But, I will say that my planned c-section was a much easier than my 2nd vbac. Recovery was like night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Yes, because c-sections are just a walk in the park...no pain involved.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Is there nothing women can't judge each other over?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:00 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I know people that can have a tooth drilled with no novocaine.....
Some people don't react well to novocaine type drugs. Perhaps there are alternatives now, but my mother for one could never tolerate it well. She used to say she would hypnotize herself by counting the tiles on the ceiling or running through the state capitals in her mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness