Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:32 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times

Advertisements

someone told me putting your thumb on the roof of your mouth/palate? I guess ther's a certain spot you have to hit and hold your thumb there for a while
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Does Anyone Have a Cure For Hiccups?

No.

They go away on their own. They are a pain in the axe. There's no one single remedy that works for everyone...most don't work for anyone. They are caused by a nerve twitch, and afflict mostly younger people. Avoiding them in the first place is the best 'cure'. Frequent bouts with hiccups usually indicate a nervous person who is trying to do too much in too little time. There is nothing physically wrong (although the surgery mentioned could cause them, due to nerve injury in the area).

Put another 10 years on, and you'll have better things to worry about.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
sugar water always worked for me
Yes, works every time on me and my kids.

You can also just put a teaspoon of sugar on your tongue (one packet if you are out somewhere) and let it dissolve.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:09 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I get hiccups daily, most frequently when there is an abrupt chill (like going from the warm outdoors into a cold grocery store). I can feel my diaphragm fluttering, so I isolate and relax it. I stand very still and hold my breath until the fluttering stops, then exhale slowly while flexing my abs. It feels like I am stretching the muscle flat. Sometimes I have to do this two times, occasionally three, but it usually works on the first try, after the first hiccup.

I know it doesn't work for everybody, but it works for me. I'm glad because prolonged hiccups make me feel sick. If I cannot be still (for instance, I am walking or riding in a car), it's hard to make them go away.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 AM

320 posts, read 353,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I don't get them that often, but when I do, it's off and on for a full day, and by the end of the day I'm ready to collapse from exhaustion.

I've tried all the usual remedies.

When my husband was in rehab after his open heart surgery he developed hiccups that lasted several days. Eventually they gave him Thorazine to stop the hiccups but it made him a zombie. Obviously I'm not going to take Thorazine.

I HATE hiccups!
Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. One shot and you're good to go.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:33 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I don't get them that often, but when I do, it's off and on for a full day, and by the end of the day I'm ready to collapse from exhaustion.

I've tried all the usual remedies.

When my husband was in rehab after his open heart surgery he developed hiccups that lasted several days. Eventually they gave him Thorazine to stop the hiccups but it made him a zombie. Obviously I'm not going to take Thorazine.

I HATE hiccups!
The scare tactic has always worked for me.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:33 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
Yes, works every time on me and my kids.

You can also just put a teaspoon of sugar on your tongue (one packet if you are out somewhere) and let it dissolve.
That works for me too... or sometimes a glass of milk...

Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Trying really hard to burp, even if you feel like you don't need to, right when you feel like you might be about to hiccup again, or for about 10-30 seconds seems to work better for me than any other method.

Next best is breathing in a paper bag to the point of being a bit short of breath, also near 100% effective for me.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Does Anyone Have a Cure For Hiccups?

No.

They go away on their own. They are a pain in the axe. There's no one single remedy that works for everyone...most don't work for anyone. They are caused by a nerve twitch, and afflict mostly younger people. Avoiding them in the first place is the best 'cure'. Frequent bouts with hiccups usually indicate a nervous person who is trying to do too much in too little time. There is nothing physically wrong (although the surgery mentioned could cause them, due to nerve injury in the area).

Put another 10 years on, and you'll have better things to worry about.
Um, yeah, at age 68 I hardly qualify as one of those "younger people" you mention.

Y'all are coming up with some interesting sounding remedies. I'm going to share them with my daughter, who has unfortunately inherited my tendency towards day-long hiccups.

We are both nervous people who are "trying to do too much in too little time."

Old 04-29-2015, 10:55 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
A teaspoon or a packet of white or Brown Sugar in the Raw swallowed dry (not dissolved on the tongue) always does the trick for me. I think the dry sugar acts as a counter-irritant to the part of your throat that is convulsing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness