Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:12 PM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Nice to know about vitamins, but I'm really looking for osteoarthritis-specific info. Thanks
The problem with osteoarthritis is finding something that will protect the joint from the effects of daily use, thereby preventing it. One of the biggest things you can do is maintain a healthy weight. Exercise. Avoid repetitive motions. For example, if you like tennis you may want to not play every day. Mix it up with some different activities. There is no supplement or medication, however, that will undo damage that has already happened.

Once the joint has deteriorated enough to cause severe pain, the damage is pretty much irreversible. Then all we are left with is treatment of the symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
The way I learned to live with Osteoarthritis was changing my diet and staying away from these things below which seemed to trigger joint pain.

1. Pork
2. Spices
3. Ice Tea
4. Fried Food
5. Chocolate
6. Tomatoes

And then I started increasing my water intake and taking GNC Fish Oil everyday which seems to eliminate the pain completely after 2011.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:07 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) deteriorate bones. Secondly they can cause internal bleeding that can be deadly. In fact it is estimated that NSAIDs kill over 16,000 people a year mainly due to internal bleeding.

On the other hand there are steroidal drugs, and steroids can make the person feel better by reducing the inflammation and suppressing the immune system, but they make the underlying conditions worse by suppressing the adrenals, nutrient loss and bone loss.

Osteoarthritis is best treated in large part by the restoration of collagen. Silica is the most important supplement for the restoration of collagen and elastin. Silica is essential for the formation of cartilage, and its strength. Declining levels of silica lead to softening of cartilage, and increased risk of damage or deterioration to spinal discs and joint cartilage. In addition, silica has mild natural anti-inflammatory properties, which further helps prevent cartilage degradation.

The second most important nutrient is vitamin C. It is best to get vitamin C from natural sources though since natural sources are generally stronger and more stable than the commonly sold synthetic vitamin C (ascorbic acid). An exception is camu camu, which is not very stable.
1. NSAIDS do have significant risks GI bleeding being the most significant along with now known cardiac risks, they do not however "deteriorate bones"

2. Oral steroids also have significant risks, adrenal suppression being one but they are rarely used for osteoarthritis though commonly used for rheumatoid arthritis. Locally acting steroids i.e. injections can be a godsend for osteoarthritis and carry few risks.

3. Osteoarthritis WOULD be best served by the restoration of collagen, too bad its not possible. Silica and Vitamin C do not restore/rebuild cartilage. This isn't the Alternative Forum you can't just make up "facts" here without corroborating evidence.

4. vitamin C is vitamin C whether "naturally occurring" or found in supplements, your body can't tell the difference that has been proven.

" all steady state comparative bioavailability studies in humans have shown no differences between synthetic and natural vitamin C, regardless of the subject population, study design or intervention used."
Synthetic or Food-Derived Vitamin C

Old 05-05-2015, 11:32 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,500,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Vitamin C is the same whether you get it from a pill or a food. Your body cannot tell the difference. As far as the source affecting the "stability", that would have more to do with the storage conditions, as you mention, but that is true whether the source is a food or a vitamin pill.

If you read my other posts here, you will discover that I tell folks that most of us do not need to take vitamins at all if you eat a balanced diet. That is true of vitamin C as well. But if you choose to take vitamin C as a pill, your body will use the vitamin C from the pill in exactly the same way it uses vitamin C from an orange. Any pills should be stored properly, whether prescription drug or a vitamin.
refer to my previous post.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:47 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,500,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

3. Osteoarthritis WOULD be best served by the restoration of collagen, too bad its not possible. Silica and Vitamin C do not restore/rebuild cartilage. This isn't the Alternative Forum you can't just make up "facts" here without corroborating evidence.
False.

Read SILICON AND BONE HEALTH

I can provide many other journals if you need via pm.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:12 AM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
refer to my previous post.
It's not any more true now than when you first posted it.

Vitamin C and ascorbic acid are two names for the same chemical. The human body cannot tell whether it comes from a food source or a vitamin pill.

Most people will get all they need from food sources, but, assuming you store it properly, what you get from a pill is just as "stable" as what you get from food, since vitamin C can be lost from foods depending on how they are stored and prepared.

Nutritional Effects of Food Processing – NutritionData.com

Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,201,288 times
Quote:
False.

Read SILICON AND BONE HEALTH

I can provide many other journals if you need via pm.
FALSE

Osteoarthritis is a disease of cartilage not bone

You clearly don't understand difference between bone and cartilage health you keep confusing the two...

You can save your journals I treat osteoarthritis every day

Old 05-06-2015, 09:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
FALSE

Osteoarthritis is a disease of cartilage not bone

You clearly don't understand difference between bone and cartilage health you keep confusing the two...

You can save your journals I treat osteoarthritis every day

Just hope you are not suggesting Tylenol like my primary doctor who I had to get rid of after that dumb advice.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,186,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Just hope you are not suggesting Tylenol like my primary doctor who I had to get rid of after that dumb advice.
I'd think Tylenol should help. My wife takes Motrin nightly; I use Aleve and have been doing so off and on (currently ON) for nearly 20 years. It's not going to help the base problem, but it does reduce inflammation, and that pretty much gets rid of my pain. My parents used aspirin.

What I've found is that it must be taken regularly -- not just when the pain gets bad. I take 400 mg of Aleve every night. If I forget it for a couple days, I'm going to suffer from it.

I think I was in my early 40s when my doctor first said I "probably" had some osteoarthritis. He said nearly everyone has some signs of it by middle age -- maybe not enough that they even notice it, but he said it's there, just a part of living. We'll twist a joint a little, get some inflammation, then the arthritis makes it worse.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:02 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,574,188 times
'Chicken Shots' May Replace Knee Replacement in Some

My mom got what she calls, "chicken shots" lol!

They aren't a cure but they seemed to help her for years avoid surgery in her knees. I would take her in and it was quick, with little discomfort. They really made a difference for her. I hear they don't work for some but it's a risk worth trying before surgery. She's 86 this year and still walking around so far and she's bone on bone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness