Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 AM

4 posts, read 1,977 times

Advertisements

I heard a loud noise in work and my right ear rang for a second then stopped. Now when I hear high pitched noise my ear rings. Even when I'm talking to someone they ring. Its not constant but its pretty annoying

Anyone else have something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Yep. Tinnitus.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:31 PM

Is yours non-stop noise?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Yes. A buzzing. Some people get a ringing. We all describe it differently.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:02 AM

708 posts, read 823,711 times
How Can The Ringing In Your Ears Be From Your Thyroid? | Genetic News Weblog

Quote:
Thyroid issues are a common cause of Tinnitus.Thyroid issues are a much more prevalent cause of ear ringing than previously thought.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:47 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1991 View Post
I heard a loud noise in work and my right ear rang for a second then stopped. Now when I hear high pitched noise my ear rings. Even when I'm talking to someone they ring. Its not constant but its pretty annoying

Anyone else have something similar?
This is certainly true QuestOfTruth, but what does it have to do with the OP? Hearing loud noises at work doesn't trigger thyroid problems.

On-topic:

Tommy, it's possible that the loud noise at work caused some damage to your eardrum. It might/might not heal all by itself, if that's the case. The ringing should subside within a few days at the most. If not, you might consider a visit to an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) doctor (otolaryngologist) for an examination. I have tinnitus, which in my case (and this is common) is a side effect of hearing loss caused by nerve damage. I'm supposed to wear hearing aids, but mine kept getting filled with wax, which resulted in me hearing even worse than when I wasn't wearing them at all, so I stopped wearing them. And then I went to wear them to watch TV and one dropped out of my hand while I was changing batteries and broke. Since they cost $3000, I wasn't about to run and get a replacement for something I rarely use. So - I live with tinnitus. It's almost constant, it sounds sort of like if you tuned to a radio station without an antenna, and picked up some really remote, distant signal, you hear the high-pitched squeal of the signal along with a bit of static.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 AM

AnonChick that must be the most annoying thing ever. I went to the doctor last week he said there was no damage to my eardrum and he could see an inflammation and some fluid in my ear so I've been using ear spray to try and get rid of it. The problem I have is that when I hear loud noises or i'm close to something noisy it rings for a second which is bugging me. When i first dropped the item close to my ear it rang for a second then stopped. Should I be hopeful?

Old 05-10-2015, 10:20 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1991 View Post
AnonChick that must be the most annoying thing ever. I went to the doctor last week he said there was no damage to my eardrum and he could see an inflammation and some fluid in my ear so I've been using ear spray to try and get rid of it. The problem I have is that when I hear loud noises or i'm close to something noisy it rings for a second which is bugging me. When i first dropped the item close to my ear it rang for a second then stopped. Should I be hopeful?
Heh - you must not ever have heard of the old joke:

Guy walks into a doctor's office and says, "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this" and proceeded to twitch his shoulders up in a dramatic shrug.

Doc said to the guy, "Then don't do that" and sent him the bill.

Moral of the story: Stop dropping things close to your ear

And no, it's not annoying at all. I've had it all my life, but it usually would just pop in and out again spontaneously. When I was a kid I thought it had to be my braces, which let me hear actual radio signals if I turned my head in a special magick position by mistake. I would sometimes jerk my head trying to find the signal and see if I could "tune in" to a real radio station so I could hear music in my mouth. (Yes, I was a "special snowflake")

As I got older I noticed that the sound was always there, just not always loud, and not always noticeable. Now that I'm in my 50's, it's much more pronounced, but by now I'm so used to it being there it doesn't phase me at all. I can't hear all that great anyway so even if I didn't have the tinnitus I'd still be saying "HUH?" to anyone talking to me

A fun exercise to do when you're experiencing the ringing: come up with songs in the same key, and sing them to yourself. Bonus points if you burst out in song, out loud, and make everyone around you think you're a "special snowflake" too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness