Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 08:17 PM

836 posts, read 1,254,262 times

Advertisements

I've read a few descriptions of mono as being like a bad case of the flu (for the latter, I mean a seasonal flu among younger/healthier populations). Is it, therefore, that an average case of mono (in terms of symptoms) is like a bad case of the flu - and a bad case of mono is worse than a bad case of the flu, and thus mono as a whole is worse than the flu as a whole? Or is it more of a matter of balancing out the symptoms (e.g. both mono and flu have high fever, but mono has swollen lymph nodes whereas the flu has body aches, and these symptoms are bad to about an equal degree)?

To put it a little differently, if you ignore the fact that mono is a lot longer-lasting than the flu and you just focus on the symptoms (which differ somewhat between the two), would you rather have mono or flu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 PM

373 posts, read 482,368 times
Mono = EBV virus
Flu = influenza virus
Common Cold = adenovirus

So, No. They are not the same disease.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Well flu is respiratory in nature. Setting aside the respiratory issues...........I'd rather the aches and pains of flu, than mono.

I've had both............mono hit like a ton of bricks and kept me flattened for nearly 3 monthss.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Well flu is respiratory in nature. Setting aside the respiratory issues...........I'd rather the aches and pains of flu, than mono.

I've had both............mono hit like a ton of bricks and kept me flattened for nearly 3 monthss.
When you had the flu, it didn't hit you like a ton of bricks, I guess?

Maybe it's possible that in some people the flu hits like a ton of bricks and in some people mono doesn't quite hit like a ton of bricks?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Is it fair to say that, in terms of just the severity of the symptoms (and not also their lengths), if the common cold is 1 and mono is 5, then would a bad cold be a 2 or maybe 3, and would an average seasonal flu for healthy people be at least a 3 and most probably a 4? For that matter, would bronchitis and/or pneumonia be 5-7 on that scale?

Old 05-11-2015, 03:57 PM

373 posts, read 482,368 times
Mono is not flu. Period. If you happen to be a boy in high school, please do not buy "I got the flu for 1 month" line from your girlfriend.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:55 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I'd say Mono is worse than the flu because it can last months. I've had the flu; it usually goes away in a week or two maybe three. I had something like Mono when I was 13. It was the first time I had to give blood for tests but the test came back inconclusive. They said then (this was in the 70's) that could happen. There were times when I was sick with it that I felt so good that I went out and shot hoops at the basketball court in the parking lot across the street. It didn't take long to spend that energy but I'd been down for a few weeks already and had to do something. I missed a lot of 7th grade that year!

Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I'd say Mono is worse than the flu because it can last months.
That's why I was asking strictly in terms of the symptoms' severity, not the length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness