Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 08:33 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering of it's possible for me to be sensitive to estrogen. I'm a woman and ive been told that my body type indicates that I probably naturally have more estrogen-i have wide hips, big butt, and slim waist. I've noticed that 1.5 before my period comes I gain 5 pounds, feel overly bloated, and I'm so depressed and unhappy. I was diagnosed with PMDD two years ago. Once my period goes away my weight is back to normal, my mood is fine, and I'm no longer bloated. I can't take birth control because it makes me suicidal--Im like a rage head and it makes me crazy. I typically feel the hormones of even the lowest dose right away. When I was pregnant with my son I was miserably depressed the whole time. Afterwards when I breastfeed him for a year and a half no matter what I did I could not lose weight. It wasn't until I completely weaned him did the weight fall off immediately. I was also very moody and unhappy the while year and a half i Breast fed him. I believe I have a higher then average testorone level for a woman though because despite my body shape I gain muscle easily, I am muscular in build, I have a high libido and I can get very hairy(I have to shave frequently). Is it possible that Im just sensitive to estrogen or do I just have a higher testorone level? I'm really curious because I've always wondered why out of all the women I know, I'm
the only woman that can't seem to handle birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I couldn't handle birth control pills either. It made me very nauseated and they kept lowering the dosage where I would get breakthrough bleeding. I finally said the hell with it and just went off of it and used other methods of birth control.

As for the hormones, it is quite possible you have a hormonal imbalance. Most people don't realize that woman also have testosterone which shows itself in the libido & hair growth. In my mind, high levels of testosterone is not necessarily a bad thing (except when you have to keep waxing your beard ).

Unfortunately, there are very few doctors who deal with hormonal imbalances. A lot of them just say that we have to deal with it-the moodiness, the bloating, the weight gain, hot flashes, etc. etc. Others just want to put you on Prozac or something like that. They treat the symptom NOT the problem. The only advice that I can suggest is do your own research. (Can't tell you how many times I have Googled hormonal imbalances). You have to find out what is right for YOU because you know your body more than anyone else.

My hormonal imbalance hit during menopause. I have been searching for relief from it for the past 4 years now. I hope you have better luck than I have had.

Cat

Old 05-13-2015, 10:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I couldn't handle birth control either. I tried the pill and the depo shot, and just bled the whole time I took them.

If you're overweight, losing some of the weight will get rid of some of the excess estrogen in your body, but it makes you feel pretty bad while your body is trying to get rid of it.

I was getting really depressed before my period, spending several days crying nonstop, moody, etc. I've also been having anxiety all the time, not just before the period. My doctors have said it's probably from hormone levels changing from my weight loss. My gyno offered to prescribe something for it but she said it could make me gain some of the weight back, so I decided not to do it. I'm taking a supplement called 5-htp and it has helped a lot.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:04 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
My weight is fine-I might be 5 pounds overweight but I wear a 6 in women and work out 5 days a week. It's only right before my period that I notice that I gain weight. I then lose it right after my period goes away which is how I know it's hormonal. I do think I have a hormone imbalance-i wish I knew what caused it. I've googled it before but unfortunately you guys are right aren't many doctors that specify that they deal with it especially for a woman my age, at 27.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
It's really common to retain water before your period.

I'm not sure how they'd treat a hormonal imbalance except with more hormones...I have to take progesterone for ten days a month and it makes me retain water...I gain 15 lbs and then lose them after I stop taking the progesterone. It's horrible and I wouldn't take it except that I bleed too much when I don't take it.

The doctor you see if you have a hormone imbalance would be an endocrinologist, except that they mostly treat diabetes and thyroid problems. My endo hasn't had any suggestions for my other hormone problems, like hair loss and the heavy bleeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness