Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

I'm miserable! We went on vacation and I got sunburn on my rosacea. I can't find anything about it via google. All that comes up is how rosacea is mistaken for sunburn. Well, I know I have both!

The problem is that it happened two weeks ago. It's on the top of my forehead. The area started to peel the second day. Now it's itchy and bumps. I can't get a break from the itching.

When I got home from vacation yesterday, I started using a prescription topical steroid cream for my rosacea. (I decided to use the cream instead of the gel because the gel can dry skin.) I have a prescription of Doxycycline that I will start too.

Is there ANYTHING ELSE I can do to get some relief?

Please tell me this will eventually go away! I feel like I need to get my hair cut with bangs to hide this nastiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
There's really nothing you'll want to do, while you have that topical cream on it. But during hours when it's not smeared on your forehead, you could -try- cold chamomile tea or cold lavender sachet compresses. I wouldn't recommend putting either on your skin while your skin is already coated with prescription medicine though...it could reduce the effectiveness of the meds, or the meds could reduce the effectiveness of the compresses.

Give it time, and stay out of the sun (wear a hat with a big front brim) for a couple of weeks.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I used to use alovera gel on sunburn as you can re-apply frequently. I have mild rosacea and take doxycycline daily to prevent outbreaks.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the responses. It's blowing my mind that I'm nowhere near healed over two weeks later. The peeling happened right away. What's left seems to be permanent damage to my skin.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM

There is ONE product I know of that *might* be of use. It could also irritate it, but you can do a little test area to check. See if you can find a NuSkin distributor near you, and ask if they can give you a sample of their Glacial Marine Mud Mask. I don't know if the formula is the same as it used to be but I imagine it's probably not changed much. I used to sell NuSkin. The product was fine, but I hated the MLM marketing of it so I got out of the business. I recall, just vaguely, that one of my customers' sons had rosacea, and his arms were always covered with rashes. And the mud mask helped soothe them.

If you can get a sample of it, it's worth a try! But again - I still wouldn't recommend trying it -while- you're also using the prescription cream. I mean - if you just - don't use the cream in the morning, and try the mud in the afternoon - and if it doesn't help, go back to using that cream the next morning. Something like that.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try if I don't get relief. I'm kicking myself for letting this happen. It was the first day we were on vacation. We spent it mostly in the rental car, stopping every hour to two. I guess we stayed out too long at one stop. I put the sunscreen on the next day and bought many hats throughout our travels. I've got to figure out a hat look that isn't too granny looking. The straw hats itch. So far, it's all baseball caps. I hate baseball caps.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try if I don't get relief. I'm kicking myself for letting this happen. It was the first day we were on vacation. We spent it mostly in the rental car, stopping every hour to two. I guess we stayed out too long at one stop. I put the sunscreen on the next day and bought many hats throughout our travels. I've got to figure out a hat look that isn't too granny looking. The straw hats itch. So far, it's all baseball caps. I hate baseball caps.
I love my Stetson
Stetson Hollywood Drive Sand Crushable Wool Felt Cowboy Hat

Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If I lived closer to cowboy country, I'd wear that! It's cute!

But I can't wear it in Pittsburgh. Girls would be hitting on me.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Www.solutions.com has sun protection hat that is equivalent to SPF 50.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Are you sure it's not a reaction to sunscreen?

I had a problem just like you're describing, peeling the next day, itching and burning, and mine turned out to be a newly-developed sunscreen allergy. I tried a different sunscreen two weeks later and my face swelled up. It's been a month and the redness is just now going away. I've been coating my face with vaseline every night and now it only feels like sandpaper on the very edges. I had it on my arms also and they're still rough and wrinkly compared to usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness