Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 PM

797 posts, read 1,736,370 times

Advertisements

I had a friend staying with us for a few days. Sharing hand towels, helping me care for my kids, close contact, etc..... Well today I found out she contracted impetigo about 6 months ago and has had off and on recurring infections since then (not in the same spot, seems to be spreading throughout different places on her body). Well I was concerned about it being contagious but she said the last time she had an active infection was a few weeks ago and it is gone now but she has scarring. And then she proceeded to touch the scarring. She worked at a daycare so she caught it from there.

My concern is that she could be a carrier of impetigo and that we could still catch it even though she didn't have any active impetigo patches. Is it something that she can go around spreading even if she doesn't have an active patch? Does the scarring sound concerning? She also mentioned when she first got it that it was like a bad cold sore.. Which makes me believe it was the staph type.. Esp with the scarring.

My main worry is that we're all going to catch it!! It's after-hours at my doc office so I'm not going to call them now but does anyone have advice or insight??
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,550,934 times
If you see a spot that looks like a pimple just use neosporan. Wash with antibacterial soap. No biggie.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 3,164,721 times
Impetigo is usually an acute (bacterial - usually Strep or Staph) infection that rather quickly resolves after anti-bacterial treatment (neosporin for example). Although infants & young children are most susceptible, adults can contract it too - usually in areas of skin that are shaved or, similarly often (or repeatedly) traumatized. A "germy" environment (like daycare) increases the susceptibility in anyone. Any bedding or bath items must be washed in hot water and soap before reuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness