Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

I am diabetic and have had 2 done. They will schedule you first thing in the morning. I drank chicken broth for supper and skipped my morning insulin for the 1st one. Maybe used 1/2 dose the evening before? Don't remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've made 2 different appointments and had to cancel both cause I was afraid to be too far away from a toilet....if you know what I mean. This would be wonderful for me if that horrible contrast dye and enema can be eliminated.

Virtual colonoscopy lets doctor "walk" through your colon - Videos - CBS News
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm glad that worked for you but I'm diabetic and I simply cannot go that long without eating. Does anybody have suggestions for that problem?
Anyone who has had a colonoscopy "knows what you mean" about proximity to a toilet. How do you suppose so many people have gone through this procedure? You will reach maximum discharge before you have to arrive at the site. (The staff doesn't want to have to clean up so the timing of total evacuation is pretty much accurate)

Diabetics can have a scope done, and they still have to have a clean colon. Your doctor is your best source for information on what to do if you have diabetes when you're scheduled for a scope. The facility needs to be informed as well that you have diabetes and they know how to handle it.

As for the poor soul who doesn't want to have a scope because passing gas is embarrassing, well...

(Unless changes have occurred VERY recently, Medicare doesn't cover the cost of a Virtual Colonoscopy so if that's your primary insurance, you might want to check out how much it's going to cost.)

I have had six scopes and at no time did I have to drink "contrast dye" nor did I have an enema. I have had a CT scan and had to drink contrast material, but not for a scope.

But we're all grown-ups here and entitled to make our own choices about what we will and will not have done to us. Me? I've had the cancer. I'll take the scope any day.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
"Anyone who has had a colonoscopy "knows what you mean" about proximity to a toilet. How do you suppose so many people have gone through this procedure? You will reach maximum discharge before you have to arrive at the site. (The staff doesn't want to have to clean up so the timing of total evacuation is pretty much accurate)"

Not entirely accurate. They told me to drink the second dose at 10 am for my 2 pm arrival time. I was concerned about how long it would take me to finish "going", so I took the second dose at 4 am, and finished "going" barely in time to leave for the procedure.

I've talked to others who have had similar experiences. It's helpful if you can go to a clinic that is near your house; I live out in the country, and the nearest clinic to me is about 45 minutes. Considering that I was hitting the toilet about every 25 minutes the entire prep time, the commute would've been messy if I had followed instructions.

I wish they could come up with a "stop" medication!

Old 07-01-2015, 03:09 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I think most people who have had a colonoscopy can agree - the prep is a pain in the azz.
But a few hours of discomfort is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Those of us who have had colon cancer can agree, the colonoscopy isn't as big a pain.

The first time I was scoped, I couldn't believe they actually did the test. I woke up with no indication that anything had happened. I drank a coffee, ate a couple of cookies, got dressed and went for breakfast.

Realizing that the anticipation was worse than the actual procedure, there's no hesitation when it's time for another.

When 'The Time' arrives, take your phone, laptop, e-reader, puzzle book, whatever you think will amuse you while you need to be in the bathroom.

If you truly have concerns about 'accidents', take a large heavy-duty garbage bag and cover the car seat. Put a big towel on top of the bag. Take a change of clothes with you to be on the safe side. It's a pretty good bet that there will be no need for any of these accoutrements, but if it makes you feel more secure... Bear in mind that at some point you will reach a state of "diminishing returns" since you aren't eating solids and will soon be empty, which is the desired outcome. I've had six scopes and have yet to have any 'accidents' once I leave for the endoscopy center.

I strongly urge everyone who has been advised to be scoped to set up the appointment now. If your doctor hasn't mentioned it yet, ask if it's time. But take the advice of those who have BTDT, get it done.
I suppose I am in the minority, but my colonoscopy was a nightmare and I'm not talking about the prep. I remember walking up in the middle of the process in excruciating pain. I was begging them to stop and the nurse kept telling me it was almost over. I found out later that I have a very long twisty colon and they didn't even have enough scope to see all of it. I never want to go through that experience again.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:16 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
I had my first one a few years ago, the doctor had me prep using all OTC laxatives starting about 36 hours before the appointment. Nothing gross tasting, so it went well but the entire day before I pretty much spent in the bathroom with a book.

Just about time for the next one, and I live in a different state now, so it will be a different doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness