Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:55 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My daughter had severe acne,she tried everything including that proactive scam,nothing worked until she went on a dairy free diet to lose some weight,a side effect of this dairy free diet was all her acne disappeared within a couple of weeks.She still washes her face a lot with special soaps but shes been acne free for over a year..
What she probably avoided by that dairy free diet was the growth hormone from the milk. Try organic milk instead. As well, go wholly organic and drink water that has been filtered of "micro-pharmaceuticals"--that is, the significant levels of birth control estrogen that's in much of the nation's water supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 03:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Lightly cleaning my face with rubbing alcohol twice a day did it for me! And also saved me a fortune.
Sometimes something simple works better that all the fancy treatments money can buy!

Amen. I tried everything for my skin problems for 18 years (from age 12 to 30) but nothing worked. Then, when I was 30, I started using rubbing alcohol 3-4 times a day and my skin cleared up almost immediately. I've been using rubbing alcohol daily for the past 39 years. I've posted, on this forum, about how my skin is soft and wrinkle-free and even posted a photo once when a naysayer accused me of lying.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Here's how acne works -

The pore produces oil
the oil blocks the pore

You cant stop the pore from producing the oil, but you CAN stop it from blocking.

As well as antibacterial soap as an ongoing treatment, I actually looked for a toner with both salicylic acid and antibac properties - a lot have one or the other, not many have both.

That works the absolute best as the sal acid clears the pore, the antibac kills the bacteria that may be lurking. Alcohol is an excellent antibacterial and astringent but for my money, the sal acid is also important.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:13 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Is Accutane still around?

Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What she probably avoided by that dairy free diet was the growth hormone from the milk. Try organic milk instead. As well, go wholly organic and drink water that has been filtered of "micro-pharmaceuticals"--that is, the significant levels of birth control estrogen that's in much of the nation's water supply.
Organic milk also has growth hormone in it. That's what makes the cow's calf grow into a healthy cow, when he drinks from his mother's udder. Also, milk, in particular lactic acid from milk, is used in many skin care preparations - including acne preparations.

I'd love to see your sources (reliable, actually tested with a reasonable sample size) that support your claim that there's a "significant" level of birth control estrogen in "much of" the nation's water supply. Personally I don't buy it. Sounds like conspiracy theory nonsense. Whale-to and Mercola are not reliable sources, so don't bother including them.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I depends on what's causing the acne. Acne isn't a "disease" and therefore there is no "cure." You could have acne as a teen and it'd eventually clear up all by itself, no matter whether you try to do something about it or not, and never come back for the rest of your life. Or you could end up with acne that sticks around. Most teens only have it temporarily.

I never had it as a teen - just the usual two-three zits on my face once a month when I was due to get my period. I had a brief bout of it when I was in my 40's, did nothing about it other than change to a more gentle facial cleanser and avoid using a facial scrub for a couple of months, and it went away by itself.

Teenage acne is called that for a reason: it's not permanent. So you don't have to "do" anything to make it go away permanently, other than live beyond the resolution of puberty.
Acne is absolutely a "disease" it is by definition a "skin disease" and as such there are treatments available...

If your definition of a "disease" necessitates a cure being available then there a whole host of "diseases" out there without cures that apparently don't meet your definition.

The fact that you never personally had to deal with significant acne and that you seem to think teenagers should apparently just outgrow it tells me you have no idea of the psychological effects on teens of significant acne.

You clearly have nothing to offer on this topic apparently other than telling people to "just deal with it" so maybe you should not post on the topic?

To the OP, there are treatments available for this "disease" and if your child has significant acne you should have them see a dermatologist that specializes in the problem, there are treatments available that can significantly reduce if not eradicate the problem

Old 07-15-2015, 04:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
She switched to Soy milk.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAcne View Post
Does anyone know of any permanent methods/solutions that one can use to fight off acne? In both adults and in teens?

I have acne (42) but I'm not super concerned about it. However, my daughter, 14, has started developing acne and is has turned my house into a laboratory trying different treatments on it! I used to buy her proactive until i heard it wasn't permanent, i got her off of it to test it out and the acne returned.

has anyone solved their acne for good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Acne is absolutely a "disease" it is by definition a "skin disease" and as such there are treatments available...

If your definition of a "disease" necessitates a cure being available then there a whole host of "diseases" out there without cures that apparently don't meet your definition.

The fact that you never personally had to deal with significant acne and that you seem to think teenagers should apparently just outgrow it tells me you have no idea of the psychological effects on teens of significant acne.

You clearly have nothing to offer on this topic apparently other than telling people to "just deal with it" so maybe you should not post on the topic?

To the OP, there are treatments available for this "disease" and if your child has significant acne you should have them see a dermatologist that specializes in the problem, there are treatments available that can significantly reduce if not eradicate the problem
As you can see - the OP isn't asking for treatments. The OP is asking for a cure. There is no cure for teenage acne. There are lots of treatments, but they only treat this zit, that zit, that oubreak, that week's worth of outbreaks. Until the acne has run its course, it will continue to cause outbreaks. If it is truly the typical teenage acne, then it WILL go away all by itself eventually, with or without treatments. The OP has already said her daughter has tried all kinds of things already and none of it has worked.

Again - there is no cure for acne. The OP was very specific, and even pointed out that because ProActiv is NOT a permanent solution, she wasn't going to try it. She wants a cure. There is none.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As you can see - the OP isn't asking for treatments. The OP is asking for a cure. There is no cure for teenage acne. There are lots of treatments, but they only treat this zit, that zit, that oubreak, that week's worth of outbreaks. Until the acne has run its course, it will continue to cause outbreaks. If it is truly the typical teenage acne, then it WILL go away all by itself eventually, with or without treatments. The OP has already said her daughter has tried all kinds of things already and none of it has worked.

Again - there is no cure for acne. The OP was very specific, and even pointed out that because ProActiv is NOT a permanent solution, she wasn't going to try it. She wants a cure. There is none.
Is that so?

"Isotretinoin can clear severe acne when other treatments fail. With just one treatment, isotretinoin can permanently clear the skin. One treatment typically lasts 4 to 5 months. If a dermatologist prescribes a lower dose of isotretinoin, the treatment may last longer. About 85% of patients see permanent clearing after one treatment."
https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to...e-isotretinoin

The OP certainly was asking for treatments from what I read. Teenage acne does not need to "run its course" if it is causing pain, disfigurement or psychological issues such as depression which can be severe.

"CONCLUSION:
Young people presenting with acne are at increased risk of depression, anxiety and suicide attempts. Attention should be paid to their mental health, and the importance of asking directly regarding suicide is emphasized."
Acne, anxiety, depression and suicide in teenagers: a cross-sectional survey of New Zealand secondary school students. - PubMed - NCBI

You have no experience with this problem either personally (by your own admission) or professionally, in other words you don't know what you are talking about so why not quit while you are already behind??

Old 07-16-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Is that so?

"Isotretinoin can clear severe acne when other treatments fail. With just one treatment, isotretinoin can permanently clear the skin. One treatment typically lasts 4 to 5 months. If a dermatologist prescribes a lower dose of isotretinoin, the treatment may last longer. About 85% of patients see permanent clearing after one treatment."
https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to...e-isotretinoin

The OP certainly was asking for treatments from what I read. Teenage acne does not need to "run its course" if it is causing pain, disfigurement or psychological issues such as depression which can be severe.

"CONCLUSION:
Young people presenting with acne are at increased risk of depression, anxiety and suicide attempts. Attention should be paid to their mental health, and the importance of asking directly regarding suicide is emphasized."
Acne, anxiety, depression and suicide in teenagers: a cross-sectional survey of New Zealand secondary school students. - PubMed - NCBI

You have no experience with this problem either personally (by your own admission) or professionally, in other words you don't know what you are talking about so why not quit while you are already behind??
Acne, anxiety, depression, and suicide among teenagers are some of the side effects of using isotretinoin. In the USA, you can't just get it - not over the counter, and not from a pharmacy, just with a prescription alone. You have to register with some special website, agree not to have sex OR use two non-barrier methods of contraception, and a whole bunch of other conditions just to be allowed to get a prescription for it. Around 85% of the patients treated with high doses of it, are cleared of acne. Unfortunately, they come with HUGE risks involved with toxicity. Accutane is the brand name for isotretinoin in the USA, though it has a few other brand names.

The OP never mentioned even going to a doctor, let alone using any more common, less toxic prescription medicines yet.

And - regardless of which psychological issues result from acne, whether you do something about it or not, it WILL go away on its own eventually. I wasn't saying that no one should care about it because it'll go away. I'm stating a fact. There's no emotion or judgment on my end regarding this fact. I don't know why you keep responding in such an accusatory way. It is a fact. Teenage acne is temporary. That's why it's called teenage acne. Sort of like saying the fruits commonly known as oranges are, for the most part, orange. Just because they taste bad when they're not ripe, or can be infested with bugs, or might have a lot of pits in them, doesn't change the fact that they're orange.

And just because all kinds of really bad things can happen when someone has to endure cystic acne, doesn't change the fact that teenage acne is a temporary condition. It is. And it does resolve on its own, eventually. That doesn't take away from the fact that it can be painful, unsightly, depressing. It doesn't take away from the fact that kids suffering from cystic acne can be bullied and go through a whole lot of trauma as a result of their acne. These things are all true. All of these things can happen, and do happen to many kids with cystic acne. What is ALSO true, is that it is temporary. You don't have to like that fact, but it is a fact. Teenage acne is temporary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness