Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:25 AM

175 posts, read 846,702 times

Advertisements

I have back pains and leg pains. Is there anything OTC that will help with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:23 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Advil or Aleve would be my choice. Name brand or generic? I always choose generic for the cost savings.

I took 3 Advil per dose for a toothache. If 2 doesn't work try 3 pills.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have back pains and leg pains. Is there anything OTC that will help with this?
Depends on what's causing the pains. If they're muscle aches from physical work overload, then BenGay or Tiger Balm or Icy Hot or any other similar product will help. If it's from carrying too much weight, then losing weight will help. If it's from lack of exercise, then exercise will help. All of these things are "over the counter" in that they don't require a prescription.

Ibuprophen is my "go to" for most generic aches and pains, but if there's anything inflammatory going on I switch to naproxin (or however it's spelled).

Old 07-11-2015, 09:20 AM

My pain is 24/7 and due to discs that have collapsed and compressed and pinched several nerves. Drs have no answer for it. Just high powered pain meds., viz, Hydrocodone. I don't like the high powered stuff. Just thought there might be something that I didn't know about OTC.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Well there are like 4 different kinds of over the counter pain meds... Aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen. Try each of those one at a time - following directions.

Then there is an antihistamine called Claritin which has a side effect of relieving some pain - helps cancer patients with their pain. Not "officially" documented.

And a non-narcotic called Gabapentin which neurologists prescribe for nerve related pain. Might try that - just because.

I think that is about it for non-narcotic pain relievers?

Old 07-11-2015, 11:13 AM

Thanks Billy J. That is good info and I appreciate it. I will try the Claritin. I am now taking Gabapentin. It does help some but not enough. Thanks again.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
When I had a swollen, bruised sprained ankle, bad, limped for 5 months...
SURPRISINGLY...3 aspirin worked so well!

Then you have the muscle pain/ spasms from the armoring...1000 mg of magnesium
capsules, never tablets ease that quite a bit...
you will notice a diff on the third morning.

For inflammation can't beat Omega 3's daily.
Then the heat packs, alternating to cold...keep to 15 minutes on cold packs and
if you use a hot water bottle.

If it's in the lumbar...a back brace for awhile...while it is 'squeezing in'', it
separates the vertebrae taking some pressure off...so you get a little break.
Good luck!

But, Aleve is wonderful!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:21 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
My pain is 24/7 and due to discs that have collapsed and compressed and pinched several nerves. Drs have no answer for it. Just high powered pain meds., viz, Hydrocodone. I don't like the high powered stuff. Just thought there might be something that I didn't know about OTC.
I have a lot of compression and pinched nerves. I manage mine through a combination of exercise, yoga/stretching, various types of massage therapy and occasional acupuncture. All of it helps quite a bit.

Oh and YES, definitely the magnesium! I apply both that and Icy Hot roll-on, that stuff works miracles for me!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:58 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Do NOT take more than the directions say...these Nsaids can cause MANY issues...kidney failure among them! Be careful! Just because they are OTC, doesn't mean they're harmless!

If you are in enough pain to need drugs, go to a doctor and find out what's wrong...perhaps there is a "fix" other than pills!!!

Old 07-11-2015, 02:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Depends on what's causing the pains. If they're muscle aches from physical work overload, then BenGay or Tiger Balm or Icy Hot or any other similar product will help. If it's from carrying too much weight, then losing weight will help. If it's from lack of exercise, then exercise will help. All of these things are "over the counter" in that they don't require a prescription.

Ibuprophen is my "go to" for most generic aches and pains, but if there's anything inflammatory going on I switch to naproxin (or however it's spelled).
Ibuprofen and Naproxen are both NSAID's there is no difference between the two of them other than dosing and chemical composition, method of action is the same for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness