Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 08:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times

Advertisements

I've had pulsatile tinnitus for 4 years - found out only recently that it was likely brought on due to extreme stress. Over the years, I have learned to shut it out. Not easy, but there's no cure, so no choice.

I've also had some other stress/anxiety related issues in the same ear (left) earlier this year (tensor tympani myoclonus) which I had surgery for. The tinnitus did not go away. In fact, it is somewhat worse when I am under added extra stress.

My question is - for those who have this, how do you deal with it?

Any tips, tricks, advice on how to cope when it's especially awful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
I've had it for 10+ years. Mine is usually ringing but can be hissing or humming. Fortunately I can ignore it most of the time. Of course now that I'm typing this post I'm thinking about it so it's bothering me. UGH!!

Having background noise helps as does focusing intently on something. Usually if I read with the TV on I can't "hear" it. I also sleep with a white noise machine.

Hopefully you will find something that works for you when it gets bad.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM

Been sleeping with a fan first, then a white noise machine for years, even before the tinnitus started.

Any thoughts on the supplement Ginkgo Biloba? It is supposed to improve circulation. I have had tests and imaging to rule out dangerous things like tumors or artery blockage. But maybe it's circulatory?

Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 PM

I did a ton of reading years ago when mine first started (and also had several tests run to rule out tumors and meniers disease (spelled wrong I'm sure) and decided that I wasn't going to waste my money on Ginko (or any of the other "cures") because they probably wouldn't work. That's not to say it won't work for you or it would hurt for you to try it (I'd check with your doctor first). I think there are some concerns about taking Ginko long term so be sure to research thoroughly.

I've been "lucky" in that once I got "used" to it I really have been able to, for the vast majority of the time, tune it out. However mine is not so loud that I can hear it over most background noises. If yours is louder, it will be more difficult to ignore. For the couple of years though I had background noise going 24/7.

Have you considered talking to your doctor about something to take on an as-needed (short term) basis for your anxiety? I wonder if that would help when you're having a bad spell?

I KNOW this is much easier said than done but try not to focus on it. The more I think about mine the worse it gets.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:42 PM

I plan on bringing it up at my next appointment, not too long from now. The thing is, it's not necessarily the swooshing sound that I have a problem with - I have learned how to cope over the years. Since my surgery, my hearing went from really good to being ridiculously sensitive. I can't sleep w/a box fan anymore because the vibration sounds from the blades cutting through the air drives me crazy. I hear the faintest of sounds, especially low pitch. At this point, I'd rather be hard of hearing.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I plan on bringing it up at my next appointment, not too long from now. The thing is, it's not necessarily the swooshing sound that I have a problem with - I have learned how to cope over the years. Since my surgery, my hearing went from really good to being ridiculously sensitive. I can't sleep w/a box fan anymore because the vibration sounds from the blades cutting through the air drives me crazy. I hear the faintest of sounds, especially low pitch. At this point, I'd rather be hard of hearing.
Being hard of hearing does sound better. I hope you find a solution.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I have some hearing loss in certain ranges, but not all. I've lost all of the peaks, but not the plateaus. I've lost some middle range, too. Bass is all there. I can't sleep with a fan, either.

Being interested, absorbed in something causes my brain to stop hearing the noise. Everything was quiet--until I read this. Eeeeeeeee! Damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness