Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 954 times

Advertisements

well the last 28 days of my life have been some of the toughest days of my life. I believe going Cold turkey for me was the only way. The pain sleepless nights, diareah, sweating one minute freezing the next, restless leg syndrom, vomiting, nausea, and of course the sneeze attacks. All of this made me realize there is absolutely no way I would go through this again. I'm am not 100% better by far but at least now I am able to function somewhat. The first 10 days were the worst nobody knew I was taking methadone but a few close friends. So I was pretty much on my own. I had no support around me at all for the first 10 days, I have never been so depressed in my life. Finally around the11th day I reached out to family. This was probably the best thing I could have done. I moved in with my brother and immediately started feeling a little better. I knew I still had several more weeks if not months to feel normal. Again. As of right now I am 28 days clean still not close to 100 pct but definitely headed in the right direction. If anyone is going through any thing similar right now and would like to talk about it please feel free. If I can come off 150mg a day methadone habit anyone can, and I forgot to mention I did this with no drugs whatsoever except for Tylenol, ibuprofen, and immodium. No chlonidine no benzos nothing. To sum all this up in my case it was best to go through this cold turkey so I could truly understand the pain of the wd, I will NEVER go through this hell again. Hope I could help at least 1 person by writing this post. I could probably go on writing about this forever. If anyone has any comments or questions it would be much appreciated. Good luck everyone with whatever your struggles may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Cold turkey has the highest success rate for smokers, and a Scottish study shows it may be so for methadone addicts, too.

Congrats on getting clean. Now to connect with a group to STAY clean.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
Congratulations. You've accomplished a great deal, demonstrated that you have will power and self-respect, and you should be very proud of yourself.

May I suggest that you seal the deal by rewarding yourself with something that will make you feel good. Also, to stay clean, it would be helpful to have at least one activity that you can do and enjoy, to fill your time and keep you from being tempted to start using again. It can be anything at all, so long as you can do it more or less whenever you like, and you genuinely enjoy doing it. Best of luck.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:41 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Yes...you need continuing support to stay clean. I know you SAY you'll never go thru this again, but it's like childbirth...you'll forget how difficult it was to get off that crap....so get support!

Women say they'll never have another child, because of the pain and discomfort, but before you know it...they have many kids....get support!

Old 08-05-2015, 09:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I hear you....I was on fentanyl and hydro-morphone for a good while...I too weaned myself off, but not cold turkey like you. I could see doing it that way though, cause every time I lowered the dose I'd have to go through the withdrawals all over again...then when I finally was feeling better, I'd start all over again. I felt like I had a severe flu each time that I lowered the dose...not fun, not easy.
I was on these strong pain killers while I waited almost 2 years for spinal surgery.
I decided to wean myself off when I forgot to put on a new patch one time and woke up having severe withdrawels...twitching legs, nausea, hot and cold sweats...that's when I realized how "dependent" I really was, and I hated it.
It took me approx 6 weeks to wean off...no help from doc...he was surprised that I was drug free next time I saw him...6 weeks before I finally got the surgery needed.
I wanted to be able to [feel] the difference after surgery...and I did.

Good for you for getting off these powerful narcotics..

Unless I knew I had a terminal illness, and was in severe pain, I doubt I would ever get myself into that predicament again.
It takes a strong will and a strong desire to succeed in becoming narcotic free...I can easily understand how some people wouldn't be able to handle it....It's not as easy as the docs say it is...not at all.
Now I'd be scared to use them, unless for a very temporary thing that won't cause dependance (for me).....(I never felt "stoned" while I was on them)..addiction for others.

I'm not saying these strong drugs don't have their purpose...I couldn't have gone those 2 years without them...though sometimes
I think I'd almost rather feel the pain of my affliction than to be pain free and know that
I'm gonna have to go through HELL when it comes time to get off the drugs.

xopeadikt...take care...hang tuff...

Last edited by purehuman; 08-05-2015 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness