Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,142,363 times

Advertisements

Oftentimes, when I've looked up info on periods, there's all these women who talk about making their own glad rags, but not only do I find that gross and a hassle to wash them (not that I've tried, because I only bother with disposable pads. I just throw it away afterward. Easy.)

They had to have come out with disposable pads for good reason. And they took off for good reason. This sets things back to the 1800s, when there were no choices but to keep reusable glad rags and launder them. Ick.

Another item: I read online so many are big fans of the menstrual cup, and they preach on and on about it. But when I've read old magazines from the 70s, there was one back then advertised called the Tassaway. How come it never really caught on, then disappeared, so that in this past decade or so, everyone thinks the Diva cup, Keeper, Instead, etc are such a brand new revolutionary form of feminine protection all of a sudden?

I am glad we have choices though. Internal vs external; disposable vs reusable. Me: external disposable pads; and tampons for swimming. Cups and glad rags are not for me.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:15 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,305,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Oftentimes, when I've looked up info on periods, there's all these women who talk about making their own glad rags, but not only do I find that gross and a hassle to wash them (not that I've tried, because I only bother with disposable pads. I just throw it away afterward. Easy.)

They had to have come out with disposable pads for good reason. And they took off for good reason. This sets things back to the 1800s, when there were no choices but to keep reusable glad rags and launder them. Ick.
This is the first I've heard of reusable menstrual pads. I suppose it's Much like women who opt for cloth diapers for their babies. Better for the environment? Well, more water is required for washing them, so who knows saving landfills vs using more water is helping the environment? I don't know.

But I agree with you, Ick for having to revisit that blood on the pad and wash it out. Can't imagine dropping all that blood into a washing machine, and I can't imagine washing it by hand either.

Quote:
Another item: I read online so many are big fans of the menstrual cup, and they preach on and on about it. But when I've read old magazines from the 70s, there was one back then advertised called the Tassaway. How come it never really caught on, then disappeared, so that in this past decade or so, everyone thinks the Diva cup, Keeper, Instead, etc are such a brand new revolutionary form of feminine protection all of a sudden?

I am glad we have choices though. Internal vs external; disposable vs reusable. Me: external disposable pads; and tampons for swimming. Cups and glad rags are not for me.
Menstrual cups are silicone now. That's what makes them better than their 1970's predecessors.

I use a menstrual cup. Love it. I've saved hundreds of dollars over the 8 years I've been using it. And saved the landfills. And they're so easy to use after the first few days of getting used to it.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,308,272 times
Note in the past there was a BIG problem with a new design of tampons which harbored bacteria and women died - called "Toxic Shock Syndrome".

I should think a disposable device would be more sanitary?

Toxic shock syndrome - Mayo Clinic

Rely and Toxic Shock Syndrome: A Technological Health Crisis

Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,308,272 times
Quote:
...a hassle to wash them...

From the following link...
"...Not until temperatures reached 140 degrees, with 10 minutes of water exposure time, were organisms said to be eradicated, the study said..."

Home Laundry No Match for Pathogen-Infected Scrubs##

Old 08-04-2015, 09:32 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,305,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Note in the past there was a BIG problem with a new design of tampons which harbored bacteria and women died - called "Toxic Shock Syndrome".

I should think a disposable device would be more sanitary?

Toxic shock syndrome - Mayo Clinic

Rely and Toxic Shock Syndrome: A Technological Health Crisis
That's why silicone menstrual cups are the the latest, and so far best solution. There is no toxic shock syndrome risk with these.

And they're hygienic, cleanable, sterilizable. Just boil it for 5 minutes. Easy peasy.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:43 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,955,074 times
I totally agree with Zelpha--switching to cup was the best choice I ever made. They last far longer than tampons, I find them much more comfortable and easier to use. Personally, I find tampons (and that nasty string) gross.

Also, cups are far safer than tampons. Do you know what tampons are actually made of or all of the risks associated with them? Me, either? And Rep Carolyn Mahoney, after 10 tries, still can't get Robin Danielson bill passed.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,567,194 times
All I know is I am 47 and like when I was 12, I am counting the days.......when I was 12, I was counting until I'd start and "join my friends." And here I am, 47, and counting, to "join my friends" and get this whole period thing out of my life!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:25 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,883,238 times
I'm happy about disposable ones myself.

I once saw a reusable pad emblazoned with the likeness of Edward the sparkly vampire from Twilight. Some sick joke there.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,739,945 times
Meh. Some people are squeamish about that sort of thing, and others aren't. I have used reusable pads before; I also cloth diapered. I'm not squeamish about it. I found that I bled less and that I had less cramping when using the cloth pads. That was when I was a SAHM, though, and I had more time to ensure that I didn't get behind on laundry. Now I'm working and busier in general, so I don't bother.

Good thing is that there are lots of options for people who choose different thing. Some people find tampons gross, others think the cups are yucky, still others think pads (both reusable and disposable) are uncomfortable. To each her own.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,782,738 times
Hooray menopause! I feel for you gals who still get the time of month, though. Mainlining Advil, I was........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness