Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,598 times

Advertisements

So I just found out that what I have is breast fibroadenoma. I went for my annual gyn exam and he found a lump in my breast, which he thought was a cyst. He sent me for a sonogram and mammogram. The radiologist himself did the sonogram--not a tech--so I felt good about that. He said the lump was fibroadenoma. He also ultrasounded the other breast, which did not have a palpable lump, and said I had a smaller one in that one as well.

He said I did not need to have a mammogram, because the ultrasound clearly showed what they were and he said because of my fibrocystic breasts, a mammogram would not be of much value (I am in my early 30's).

Anyhow, he gave me two options: do nothing and follow up in 6 months with an ultrasound, and if they grow by then do a biopsy. Or, do a biopsy now and if they are found to be fibroadenoma, leave them in. This would be a core needle biopsy, not a FNA.

I discussed the results with my gynecologist, who strongly advised me not to have the core needle biopsy, because the radiologist was so confident of the fact that they were fibroadenoma. My gyn thought on exam that the lump was either a cyst or fibroadenoma.

I have a family history of fibroadenoma, though I have never had them myself.

Anyhow, I'm conflicted on what to do. Anyone have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 PM

379 posts, read 645,204 times
I have also had one. Ultrasound was done. I was told to come back in 3-6 months. It was gone when I went back.

Did the radiologist seem concerned or was he pretty positive about the diagnosis?

Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Both the radiologist and my gyn were pretty positive about the diagnosis. Both did a physical exam as well. I have small breasts so they were able to grasp one of them between their fingers and move it around. But when I read about women's experiences with this, it seems that nearly all opt to have a biopsy (in my case the radiologist said core needle biopsy only) or have them removed.

While I don't want to get any unnecessary invasive procedures done, at the same time I don't want to miss something bad. My gyn is strongly urging me to not get the biopsy, he thinks it's unnecessary. The radiologist suggested not having the biopsy either. The biopsy scares me because it sounds so painful. Additionally, neither of the fibroadenomas are on the surface--they're buried quite deep, so I'm sure it would be very painful.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
I have also had one. Ultrasound was done. I was told to come back in 3-6 months. It was gone when I went back.

Did the radiologist seem concerned or was he pretty positive about the diagnosis?
Did you do anything (diet, etc.) to try to get it to go away? The only thing I have read is that a high fat diet can contribute to them. I am planning to cut out most of the fat in my diet and see if this causes them to get smaller.

Though I admit I am a little surprised to have them, since I get annual gyn exams with breast exam and my last gyn didn't mention it. My gyn appt. last week felt it right away.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:55 PM

I understand you are probably terrified. If both of the doctors think the biopsy is not needed, I would wait it out (i actually did). It really depends on you though. Are you the type of person who will think about it constantly.... if so, have the biopsy.

Two doctors, who see breast cancer everyday, are saying they are comfortable with letting it go for a while. If they were at all concerned they would have told you. Just my opinion though. Do what you can live with.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Did you do anything (diet, etc.) to try to get it to go away? The only thing I have read is that a high fat diet can contribute to them. I am planning to cut out most of the fat in my diet and see if this causes them to get smaller.

Though I admit I am a little surprised to have them, since I get annual gyn exams with breast exam and my last gyn didn't mention it. My gyn appt. last week felt it right away.
Nope. I was 22 and never even gave it a second thought after they told me I was fine.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I have had lumps in my breasts and had a surgical biopsy twice. The third time I was given the option of having a biopsy or getting a follow up ultrasound, which I did and it hadn't changed, and at that time the radiologist said it was just a cyst. I think if two doctors didn't seem very concerned and told me I could just get a follow up, I would go that route. Good luck to you.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:46 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
When I was your age I used to get cysts in my breasts, and the gyn told me to take vitamin B complex. They went away.

I don't think you have to worry after what he said, but I agree with Burgi if you are the type to worry to much have a biopsy.

I had a hemotoma from an auto accident, and I knew what it was, but the doctors insisted, saying it should be gone by now, and that caused me to worry, but I kept telling them what it was, can't remember the spelling but starts with an N. So I went and had the biopsy because they thought it was cancer, but it was exactly what I said it was. So another doctor said that I should get it removed anyway. but two others said t forget about it. I did. Well, it took another year for it to go away, and it was just yesterday that I found it had gone. In other words I was able to quit worrying about it after they confirmed what it was.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:21 PM

Maybe I should get a third opinion. The radiologist and my gyn both say don't have the biopsy. And I am pretty confident with their opinions, but a small part of me is still unsure. I don't want to have unnecessary invasive procedures, but at the same time, it would be nice to put this out of my mind completely, and not have to schedule follow up ultrasounds at 6 month intervals from now on for the next couple of years.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 AM

436 posts, read 810,035 times
And if the third opinion differs, what are you going to do? What if the third opinion doctor is not as experienced as your current physician?

Do you have confidence in your physician? IF so, you need to demonstrate that. The reason they are saying no is to avoid the potentials for complications by your having an invasive procedure.

They want you to go back in six months for an ultrasound; a relatively easy and painless test. That would seem to be the best for you in their opinion.

I think you should consider what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness