Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,596 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just saw a new neurologist since I'm in a new city - she was amazing, btw. She said that since my migraines have been constant for 3 years, we should try a new family of medications, sort of reverting to the old school beta-blockers (I'm already on Lyrica, Effexor, and have Axert as needed, and she wouldn't stop those).

I had heard before that, although anti-seizure and SSRIs are now the more standard treatments, neurologists sometimes went back to beta-blockers and tricyclate anti-depressants.

I'm a tiny bit freaked out, just not knowing what I'm getting into. It's supposedly a low dosage. Has anyone tried these? The name is Propranolol.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,429 times
Wink Beta-blockers are usually considered quite safe.

Hi, goldenmom. I was put on the beta blocker Tenormin about 25 years ago for migraines and arrythmia. I have never had any difficulties with the medication.

My migraines are effectively gone. I may have a silent migraine (with the vision difficulties) once a year or so, but I no longer get full-blown 3 day migraines.

I included a descriptive quote from Wikipedia and highlighted the section on migraines. I hope this new med brings you lots of relief.

Propranolol (INN) (pronounced /proʊˈprænəlɒl/) is a non-selective beta blocker mainly used in the treatment of hypertension. It was the first successful beta blocker developed. It is the only drug proven effective for the prophylaxis of migraines in children. Propranolol is available in generic form as propranolol hydrochloride, as well as an AstraZeneca product under the trade names Inderal, Inderal LA, Avlocardyl, Avlocardyl retard, Dociton, Inderalici, InnoPran XL, Sumial (depending on marketplace and release rate). It is also marketed by Wyeth.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:33 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,349,343 times
I read it is well tolerated by most, but if you want to know other side effects, here is a list:

Inderal side effects (Propranolol) and drug interactions - prescription drugs and medications at RxList (http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/propran_ad.htm - broken link)

Usually when I get a prescribed drug it comes with the PDR printout or I ask for it. And remember you are on a low dosage, so less side effects.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 AM

Thank you both! I did read the pharmacy printout, but - you know how those read (hypothetically), it causes weight loss and weight gain, sedation and excitability, etc. I would really like to get past this chapter of my life, you know? When you're new in town and everyone at the pharmacy knows your name ... bad sign

Old 01-26-2008, 04:45 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Thank you both! I did read the pharmacy printout, but - you know how those read (hypothetically), it causes weight loss and weight gain, sedation and excitability, etc. I would really like to get past this chapter of my life, you know? When you're new in town and everyone at the pharmacy knows your name ... bad sign
Don't worry about that Goldenmom... just pretend it's Cheers.. the place where everyone knows your name!

They know mine too!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Don't worry about that Goldenmom... just pretend it's Cheers.. the place where everyone knows your name!

They know mine too!
Knock on wood, I didn't go there today! Do you think I should call them and tell them I'm OK lol?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 PM

PS - So far these are making me sort of sleepy, sort of helping with anxiety, maybe increasing my appetite, seem to be helping with headaches.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:47 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
PS - So far these are making me sort of sleepy, sort of helping with anxiety, maybe increasing my appetite, seem to be helping with headaches.
Normal. You may feel tired as well, but it'll pass. Give it time. My sister has been on for years and has tolerated them well.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Bot

1 posts, read 28,797 times
I was put on Metoprolol 3 months ago for possible Ventricular Tachycardia problems with my heart. I haven't been getting migraines for about a month now, it's like a miracle. My neurologist said the beta blocker could help stop my migraines and that it could take some time for the medication to start working, I guess the magic number was the 2 month mark.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 26,817 times
I have been on propranolol for about 2 months now; I can’t say that I feel good. The sad part is that I was really hopeful! I prayed that this would help me, but it’s only given side effects worse than my headaches. I am very irritable, I get very lightheaded, I have no energy at all, always tired and yawning, not getting a good night’s sleep, my diet has not changed in over a year and yet I have suddenly gained 6 pounds (most likely due to the low energy and dizziness I feel), and the scariest thing is that today when I checked my blood pressure it was 92/55 my pulse was 76. That freaks the hell out of me, mainly because I am only 19! My blood pressure used to be a healthy 120/73. I officially stopped taking them today. I would rather take Excedrin everyday and deal with my pain than take any more medication. :-( I’m not saying that this medicine is awful; it’s just not the right one for me.-Yizzie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness