Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times

Advertisements

3rd routine colonoscopy Tuesday and yes I should be asking the GI but he never returns calls. So ...

* Strained fruit juices without pulp (apple, white grape, lemonade)
* Water, clear broth, or bouillon
* Soda, ice popsicles (no red or purple)
* Coffee, tea (without milk or non-dairy creamer)
* Gatorade (no red or purple)
* Plain jello or gelatin (without added fruits or toppings)

I don't like lemon-lime soda. After reading the list, I infer that inasmuch as coffee is acceptable, caramel-colored soft drinks like Dr. Pepper and colas are also acceptable. Do you agree?

I'm not planning on taking alcohol but would you agree that beer is acceptable? Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I wouldn't do the beer.
It's diuretic and it thins your blood - two things you don't need during prep or procedure.

I mostly just drank water the day before.
Perfect prep.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
With our doctor, it's normal breakfast, and then clear liquids (which include jello, popsicles, etc...) the rest of the day.....with the procedure scheduled 1st thing in the morning. If they scheduled it later in the day, I wouldn't accept that appointment!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:16 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
I get a fierce headache if I don't get some protein during prep. My doc recommended Peach Ensure to get some protein. It really helped.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
With our doctor, it's normal breakfast, and then clear liquids (which include jello, popsicles, etc...) the rest of the day.....with the procedure scheduled 1st thing in the morning. If they scheduled it later in the day, I wouldn't accept that appointment!
10:30 am. From reading others' experiences on the Internet, it's obvious that my doc is comparatively strict. No way would he allow a normal breakfast the day before, even if the procedure the next day was in the afternoon.

I've never had problems with the "food" prep per se -- except of course for the serious throne time the night before -- but I'd really like to have some diet Dr. Peppers. Could live on them alone.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
Mr. Norma had his week ago Thursday. He was not allowed to eat one flippin' thing an entire 24 hours previous

On top of that, he was 2-1/2 hours late getting scoped, even though HE arrived in plenty of time

This is the perfect time for me to whine, so:

The hospital's Billing Department called a week before the scoping to "discuss payment in full of the balance the insurance wouldn't pay". $389

No $389 up front, no colonoscopy. Couldn't pay payments either.

I thought my husband was going to have another heart attack over that demand. He reminded them of our high credit rating and why couldn't he pay it in 90 days if he wanted to? Lollol, I knew right where that was going and I would be the one stuck listening to all the MFn, in the end

I told him they need our money to keep their cash flow going so "those people" who never hit a lick and suck off the system their entire lives could get free and better care than we get.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:40 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
3rd routine colonoscopy Tuesday and yes I should be asking the GI but he never returns calls. So ...

* Strained fruit juices without pulp (apple, white grape, lemonade)
* Water, clear broth, or bouillon
* Soda, ice popsicles (no red or purple)
* Coffee, tea (without milk or non-dairy creamer)
* Gatorade (no red or purple)
* Plain jello or gelatin (without added fruits or toppings)

I don't like lemon-lime soda. After reading the list, I infer that inasmuch as coffee is acceptable, caramel-colored soft drinks like Dr. Pepper and colas are also acceptable. Do you agree?

I'm not planning on taking alcohol but would you agree that beer is acceptable? Thanx.
I've always had beer and it was no problem.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Nobody mentioned the use of Colite, which is a bowel detergent to get all of the old fecal matter out of the colon ??

Its a standard practice here in Canada. You have to drink a full four liters in the 24 hours before the procedure. Not exactly a favourite, but do able if its really cold. Don't walk more than 15 feet from the toilet though. (grin).

The reason for not allowing any food or liquid that is red or purple....is so that it will not be confused with possible blood specs during the scope procedure.

My MD schedules all scopes as early as possible, starting at 6 AM, and he is done that part of his day by 9AM. Results by phone in 24 hours, sooner if there is something urgent.

Jim B.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Nobody mentioned the use of Colite, which is a bowel detergent to get all of the old fecal matter out of the colon ??

Its a standard practice here in Canada. You have to drink a full four liters in the 24 hours before the procedure. Not exactly a favourite, but do able if its really cold. Don't walk more than 15 feet from the toilet though. (grin).

The reason for not allowing any food or liquid that is red or purple....is so that it will not be confused with possible blood specs during the scope procedure.

My MD schedules all scopes as early as possible, starting at 6 AM, and he is done that part of his day by 9AM. Results by phone in 24 hours, sooner if there is something urgent.

Jim B.
Au contraire, we use clean-outs too. My GIs current choice is Miralax with Pedialyte. Last two times he used different clean-out substances.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I've always had beer and it was no problem.
Sorry, but your direct, matter-of-fact response hit the funny bone for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness