Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:52 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Mine was a life changer. I can talk about it later....and then there is the coming
down from the fever...the hallucinations or 'altered states'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 04:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
I had a 107 degree fever as a child with pneumonia, possibly secondary to the Asian Influenza epidemic. It was in August. I was put into a bathtub with ice and didn't feel cold. Hallucinated a lot, still recall everything I saw. This was actually a good experience because in later life altered states of consciousness have never fazed me.

I remember my mother's face after the doctor talked to her. She looked grim.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:03 PM

Ha! A person who understands altered states. That is some high fever!!!!!
I just saw in a movie they put someone in ice water, borrowing ice from neighbors!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:22 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,143 times
About 8 years ago I had a period where I was required to work long hours and I got sick with what I think was the flu about 4 times in a span of 3 months. I'd get sick, stay out a week, come back a week, then get sick again. Good thing those long hours only lasted for a few months. I think my body was telling me something so I got a new job after that. It was a really bad case of the flu each time. The kind where just getting out of bed was a pain. At night was the worst, the highest I measured my temperature was 105, which I heard later is very high for an adult. I was feeling so miserable I thought there was a chance I'd fall asleep at night and never wake up.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:52 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
The highest that my temperature ever got was 106. I was having an allergic reaction, which we thought was toxic shock syndrome. My skin was bright red and I kept fainting. My mom gave me some tylenol and I went to sleep in a closet (we were staying in a hotel, don't ask me why I slept in the closet and not in a bed) and I was fine the next day. I really should have gone to the hospital while I was having the reaction, but my mom was embarrassed by anything that she considered a female sickness. I never realized it was an allergic reaction until 5 or 6 years later, when I used the same product I'd used that day and had the same symptoms.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
106 had to go to the ER, I had walking pneumonia.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:30 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,432 times
I don't know how high my fever was, but I can remember an episode as a child when my mother put me in a tub of ice water. I was less than 6. I remember sitting there shivering, watching the cubes float around. In the next day or two I was put in the hospital with pneumonia for a week.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:34 PM

Oh Gosh! The ER ...worthless pieces of...
can't remember 2,3, or was it 4 hrs before I was seen?
I had no control friends took me...left with aspirin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Ooh I've had a bunch. My highest was when I was 8 or 9. I woke up one morning with an extremely painful, large lump (baseball sized) on my neck. My wonderful parents just said, "Oh its a lymph node, you're getting sick" or something like that. So I went to school like that. Started getting a fever.. wasn't too bad. Took about a week off school, no change in neck but fever started getting worse. Parents got a call from the school pretty accusing them of not sending me to school. So I go back to school, first day back I pass out after lunch, they call my parents and I go home. That night my fever spikes to 105 and my mom takes me to the ER. I spent a week in the hospital. Xrays of my neck, tests up the wazoo. Never did figure out what caused the bump or my fever or anything. Started getting better once they put me on IV antibiotics, but they still weren't sure if it was the antibiotics or just coincidence.

I've since been prone to major throat infections, causing me to get bad fevers for a week at a time.. For the past several years as soon as I start getting a throat infection I go straight to the Dr for antibiotics. Thankfully its been a few years now.

Also had what I believe was rocky mountain spotted fever about 5 years ago (or maybe another tick borne illness). During summer I was very active and had lots of ticks get ahold of me. Came down with unexplained fever of 101-103. Lasted two weeks. Right before the fever went away I found a partly engorged tiny tick between my ass and leg, so that is where the tick assumption comes from.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
106, I had an infection in my mastoid... I never knew it..
I didn't even know what a mastoid was... It almost killed me, the fever saved my life..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness