Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times

Advertisements

Been suffering post operative sleep disorder (POSD) to an extreme level since having "open shoulder surgery" 9 days ago. Haven't slept more than 2 hours straight since the procedure. Tonight I finally did some beneficial reading on the subject and discovered lots of answers to my questions. There are a ton of medical journal publications and studies published online. POSD has been studied all over the world for many years. After a night of reading, some of my suspicions I will follow up with my Doctors on:

I very likely have Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
OSA patients suffer greater risks of post op sleep disorders (POSD) after receiving the general anesthesia drug Propofol, which I did.

Those same patients who use opioids for post op pain management experience great aggravated POSD, which I am.

The studies document vivid nightmares in patients on or about night 3, following surgery, which I did. Non-OSA patients usually return to normal sleep patterns 4-5 days after surgery but OSA patients can suffer long lasting effects.

I will seek to undergo testing to confirm my suspicions but it's comforting to at least find some answers to why I'm experiencing sleep deprivation and explain some of my daytime emotions/behaviors, as well. Need to plan on getting off the pain meds over the next 7 days and really manage the use of them during this week. Have avoided alcohol since my procedure, even though I've been tempted and even advised by some to use it to sleep. Not a good idea. Being overweight is both a result and an aggravating factor of OSA, POSD, and as we all know all too well, a factor in manner other health risks. Time to get back out there walking to lose weight and make permanent changes to my eating habits.

Saw my incision at the Doctor's office yesterday...pretty impressive horseshoe shaped incision, closed with staples. It's clean and healing well. Staples will come out in another week. My surgery included completing a 70% tear of the rotator tendon and re-attaching it in a bone trough he cut out, removing a 6mm bone spur, which was causing the rotator to tear, and removal of an arthritic joint and replacing it with anchors. Most of my post operative pain is in the bicep muscle. Ortho Doc says he didn't do anything to the bicep so this is what they call secondary pain. He says "we work here but your body hurts there." I start PT on Friday and will go twice a week. I'm wearing an immobilizing harness, which is like a half a straight jacket to keep me from moving the repaired shoulder. The harness sucks. I can only take it off for showering. After a few weeks, I will downgrade to a shoulder soft sling.

I'm fortunate to be able to work from home and got my first full day in my office yesterday. Computer mousing and typing with the weak hand is no walk in the park.

I know too many people share too much of their problems online but writing is an outlet for me and I hope perhaps my learning can benefit someone else.

Finally, I'd like to give thanks to my wife and caretaker, Kathy,for her patience, love and understanding. I know I'm no joy as a patient but she's a God send as a nurse, wife and partner. Also thanks to our neighbor Fred for helping with little things like garbage cans and big things like plunging out the toilet I plugged up. How many friends can you count on to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:38 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Shoulder surgery? So, are you sleeping upright in a chair?

That alone could have a lot to with it it, I would think. Hope you start getting some good rest soon.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
It will improve, as your shoulder improves.....it's odd that a shoulder can cause such sleep disruption, but it surely can! Give it time!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
Was restricted to a recliner for first two nights at home...I did 3 then moved back to our bed with propped pillows keeping me sleeping on my back, with support along the affected arm.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:54 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Been suffering post operative sleep disorder (POSD) to an extreme level since having "open shoulder surgery" 9 days ago. Haven't slept more than 2 hours straight since the procedure. Tonight I finally did some beneficial reading on the subject and discovered lots of answers to my questions. There are a ton of medical journal publications and studies published online. POSD has been studied all over the world for many years. After a night of reading, some of my suspicions I will follow up with my Doctors on:

I very likely have Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
OSA patients suffer greater risks of post op sleep disorders (POSD) after receiving the general anesthesia drug Propofol, which I did.

Those same patients who use opioids for post op pain management experience great aggravated POSD, which I am.

The studies document vivid nightmares in patients on or about night 3, following surgery, which I did. Non-OSA patients usually return to normal sleep patterns 4-5 days after surgery but OSA patients can suffer long lasting effects.

I will seek to undergo testing to confirm my suspicions but it's comforting to at least find some answers to why I'm experiencing sleep deprivation and explain some of my daytime emotions/behaviors, as well. Need to plan on getting off the pain meds over the next 7 days and really manage the use of them during this week. Have avoided alcohol since my procedure, even though I've been tempted and even advised by some to use it to sleep. Not a good idea. Being overweight is both a result and an aggravating factor of OSA, POSD, and as we all know all too well, a factor in manner other health risks. Time to get back out there walking to lose weight and make permanent changes to my eating habits.

Saw my incision at the Doctor's office yesterday...pretty impressive horseshoe shaped incision, closed with staples. It's clean and healing well. Staples will come out in another week. My surgery included completing a 70% tear of the rotator tendon and re-attaching it in a bone trough he cut out, removing a 6mm bone spur, which was causing the rotator to tear, and removal of an arthritic joint and replacing it with anchors. Most of my post operative pain is in the bicep muscle. Ortho Doc says he didn't do anything to the bicep so this is what they call secondary pain. He says "we work here but your body hurts there." I start PT on Friday and will go twice a week. I'm wearing an immobilizing harness, which is like a half a straight jacket to keep me from moving the repaired shoulder. The harness sucks. I can only take it off for showering. After a few weeks, I will downgrade to a shoulder soft sling.

I'm fortunate to be able to work from home and got my first full day in my office yesterday. Computer mousing and typing with the weak hand is no walk in the park.

I know too many people share too much of their problems online but writing is an outlet for me and I hope perhaps my learning can benefit someone else.

Finally, I'd like to give thanks to my wife and caretaker, Kathy,for her patience, love and understanding. I know I'm no joy as a patient but she's a God send as a nurse, wife and partner. Also thanks to our neighbor Fred for helping with little things like garbage cans and big things like plunging out the toilet I plugged up. How many friends can you count on to do that?
Good grief. Take some Ambien and get some sleep.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
It is wonderful you can recognize how helpful neighbors and especially your has been. I felt the same when I had knee replacement in January. My hubby, my grown kids and my church friends were the ones that got me through the few months of pain and yes, lack of sleep. I tried everything, from my pain meds to PM sleep meds; you name it. I too would only sleep a few hours. During the day, I was exhaused. This too will pass. Believe me. It just seems like it never will. When all the pain meds are out of your system and you are back to a regular routine you will suddenly realize you slept 4 or 6 hours and then the best: 8 hours or whatever you are accustom to sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness