U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 PM

16,015 posts, read 12,771,133 times

Advertisements

I've seen some things posted here (a lot actually) about this topic. A common thing I see is that opiate withdrawal , as opposed to benzediazapine withdrawal is not "dangerous". Physically. Narcotic withdrawal is "all in the head". No physical danger.

Where does this come from? Its hardly fact, why do people post such nonsense? ANY withdrawal , from ANY substance, can be dangerous. More than. Yes, I know all the stories about "gutting" withdrawal. Mind over matter...its nonsense. Unless you have a death wish. If one needs/wants to get off a drug, dong just think you can hole up, and crash, emerging afterwards with a new outlook on life. It don't work that way, and I don't EVEN care to hear "I did it cold turkey and that's the ONLY way". Nod to the tough guy..

Its NOT all about the "high" a substance gives. The lack of sympathy for addicts/ dependents (there's a difference, however slight one may see it) floors me. OK, someone who is just seeking a high, I see the lack of sympathy. Its a societal thing. "You did it to yourself"" Fine. Others have to deal with this because of honest, medical, reasons. They are treated the same. If you're addicted, it YOUR, fault. Stigma. And its vicious. Often, not even close to justified.

I've been on pain control for a long time. Severe stuff. My condition doesn't matter, it warrants the meds. Recently, I had meds stolen. Can't prove who did it, and even if I could, it doesn't matter. A weeks worth of medication was taken. I was in the hospital in just a little over three days. This is opiate medication. Stolen meds are a "get over it" file the report (which I did ) and see yourdoctor when due. Within 24 hours, iI was a wreck. In the ensuing time, nausea, diahrea, depleted me to the point of kidney failure. Literally. "You're going to die if we can't reverse this". Cause. Opiate withdrawal. Yea...I'll tell ya folks, don't buy the "your in charge" bit and that you can just "gut" an opiate withdrawal. Where this myth that benzadiazapine withdrawal will kill you but opiate withdrawal will not came from, idk.

Its bull****. Point here is, opiate withdrawal WILL KILL YOU. Do NOT try and go through it without help. Where this drivel about getting off long term opiates is not life threatening comes from, idk, but, it BS. Don't buy the "tough it out" act. Its moralistic, individual OPINION. Not medical fact. This is coming from someone who bought into that myth, "took the pain", and went into acute kidney failure, for my "courage". Because someone swiped my meds, and that's MY problem. The doctor will NOT help you, in such a situation. YOU are at fault. Secure your meds. Don't trust ANYONE.

Opiate withdrawal WILL kill you. If you're a pain patient, remember that. Especially a severe /long term patient. Its NOT a matter of "gutting it out". Don't buy the myth. Signed....one who's been there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness