U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is at greater risk for health issues?
Person 1 3 27.27%
Person 2 2 18.18%
Both are equally susceptible 5 45.45%
Not sure 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 06:10 PM

7,214 posts, read 10,105,106 times

Advertisements

Well, it's obvious that both diet and exercise are necessary for good health but my question is which has more of an impact towards bad health - lack of a good diet or lack of exercise?

For example, consider two people here:

Person 1 - exercises very regularly, is super fit - no excess weight, since he burns all his calories that he eats - but he eats really bad - daily at restaurants all sorts of fatty foods - cheese, eggs, bacon, fried stuff - the works!

Person 2 - leads an extremely sedentary lifestyle, never exercises at all - not even for a few minutes a day, essentially a couch potato. However, eats very healthy - many different greens including high fiber superfoods like Kale, fruits, extremely minimal saturated fat intake IF any, no added sugars, no excess fat weight due to low calories consumed daily

Assume both people do not drink or smoke or take any other controlled substances. Both had equal stress levels. Also do not consider genetics here, we are just analyzing the impact of exercise vs diet on a general basis. I do understand that individual genetics can affect the outcome as well but that is a 3rd completely external factor. Assume both people had exactly the same genetics.

PERSONALLY, I think a bad diet has a way worse effect on health than being sedentary but that's just me, it would be good to see other opinions.

Who do you think is at greater risk for health issues? Person 1 or 2?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:15 AM

10,248 posts, read 9,397,447 times
This is very hard to determine. So much depends on genetics. I know people that can eat everything in sight and gain no weight, and I know people who can look at food and gain weight. Besides that, take my father in law for example. He lived to 96, very healthy until he hit 90. He never exercised, social drinker, quit smoking in his 40's, and ate a diet full of meat cheese, potatoes, light on the fruits and vegetables. On the other hand, take Jim Fix, who was a big running advocate back in the 70's. Wrote a book that was very popular. Died of a heat attack in his 50's. Apparently a genetic heart defect.

However, I still advocate for regular exercise and healthy eating. I'm starting to feel better and some of the problems of old age are being reduced. I also have more energy.

Finally, what is considered "healthy eating" is now an open debate again. Some are advocating a return to a higher fat, diet, but with less carbs is a healthier appetite. I think they're right, as many WWII generation people ate that kind of diet and lived a long life. Today people are obese and getting bigger every year, following our "low fat diet".

Old 09-15-2015, 07:38 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,186,809 times
Even couch potatoes get some exercise, even if it just walking into the kitchen during every commercial break. Assuming, with that diet, our couch potato is not obese, he has no problem getting up off the couch when he feels a need to do so.

So I'm going to say the couch potato with the good diet is a lot better off, physically, than the beach boys living off french fries.

For another thing, a couch potato can get up and get exercise tomorrow,and quickly work his way back into shape, but the junk-nourished hunk may well have already done his body so much damage, he may never recover.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:25 PM

77,808 posts, read 94,074,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Well, it's obvious that both diet and exercise are necessary for good health but my question is which has more of an impact towards bad health - lack of a good diet or lack of exercise?

For example, consider two people here:

Person 1 - exercises very regularly, is super fit - no excess weight, since he burns all his calories that he eats - but he eats really bad - daily at restaurants all sorts of fatty foods - cheese, eggs, bacon, fried stuff - the works!

Person 2 - leads an extremely sedentary lifestyle, never exercises at all - not even for a few minutes a day, essentially a couch potato. However, eats very healthy - many different greens including high fiber superfoods like Kale, fruits, extremely minimal saturated fat intake IF any, no added sugars, no excess fat weight due to low calories consumed daily

Assume both people do not drink or smoke or take any other controlled substances. Both had equal stress levels. Also do not consider genetics here, we are just analyzing the impact of exercise vs diet on a general basis. I do understand that individual genetics can affect the outcome as well but that is a 3rd completely external factor. Assume both people had exactly the same genetics.

PERSONALLY, I think a bad diet has a way worse effect on health than being sedentary but that's just me, it would be good to see other opinions.

Who do you think is at greater risk for health issues? Person 1 or 2?
To be honest, though both exercise and diet are important, a lot of our health is genetics, whether you want it considered or not. We all know or have heard about the guy or gal who both eats healthy and exercises and drops dead of a heart attack at 50 years old or the gal who eat healthy, has no weight issues and still has type 2 diabetis. I do think diet is importanat, though I think what you are suggesting might go a little overboard. Most of us are going to live a relatively good life, certainly better and healthier than our great grandparents as long as we practice moderation.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM

19,576 posts, read 15,676,048 times
I would say bad diet is worse....because we can get exercise getting the mail,
going to the fridge, getting in and outta the car, shopping...I mean
my mother never exercised and lived a great long life!
What got to her was too much bread!

Live a regular life with a GREAT, balanced organic diet...and you'll do fine.
At least with my family's genes. We have good hearts.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:10 PM

33,515 posts, read 35,066,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This is very hard to determine. So much depends on genetics. I know people that can eat everything in sight and gain no weight, and I know people who can look at food and gain weight. Besides that, take my father in law for example. He lived to 96, very healthy until he hit 90. He never exercised, social drinker, quit smoking in his 40's, and ate a diet full of meat cheese, potatoes, light on the fruits and vegetables. On the other hand, take Jim Fix, who was a big running advocate back in the 70's. Wrote a book that was very popular. Died of a heat attack in his 50's. Apparently a genetic heart defect.

However, I still advocate for regular exercise and healthy eating. I'm starting to feel better and some of the problems of old age are being reduced. I also have more energy.

Finally, what is considered "healthy eating" is now an open debate again. Some are advocating a return to a higher fat, diet, but with less carbs is a healthier appetite. I think they're right, as many WWII generation people ate that kind of diet and lived a long life. Today people are obese and getting bigger every year, following our "low fat diet".
Was your FIL thin?

Jim Fixx died of coronary artery disease (three involved arteries at autopsy), not a congenital heart defect. He had a family history of early heart disease, was a previous smoker, and at one time had been obese. It appears his diet was pretty bad.

Contrast Lack LaLanne, who paired exercise with diet:

Fanatic Cook: Jack LaLanne Vs. Jim Fixx: Diet Matters

A low fat diet does not cause obesity. Too many calories does. Not to be recommended, obviously:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...ticle-1.453215

We are fatter today because food "portions" have gotten enormous.

How the size of dinner plates affect portion control

"Since the early 1900s, the size of a normal American dinner plate has become at least 25% larger. In the 1960s, plates were roughly 9 inches in diameter. In the 1980s, they grew to around 10 inches. By the year 2000, the average dinner plate was 11 inches in diameter, and now, it’s not unusual to find dishes that are 12 inches or larger. And that’s aside from restaurant plates, which can sometimes resemble small boats! And of course, the larger the plate, the calories the food that’s on it can really add up."

Beverage glasses are bigger, too.

Restaurants serve meals on dishes the size of turkey platters, and you can get unlimited refills on sugary drinks. I can get four meals from many restaurant entrees. I routinely get a to-go container before I even start eating to forestall the risk of eating too much, which is easy to do if you are engaged in conversation and not paying attention. I choose water for my beverage, with an occasional glass of wine.

I would say bad diet is worse than getting little exercise. If you are not overweight and trying to lose, you only need a few minutes of activity per day. People who do their own yard and house work may be active enough without really doing anything extra. Our ancestors did things every day that we do not have to do due to the presence of labor saving devices like clothes washers and vacuum cleaners. Merely being on your feet rather than sitting has benefits.

Stand for 2 Hours Every Workday, Panel Says

Old 09-18-2015, 11:50 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,126,634 times
The question is like asking what is worse for a car,

1) Putting soda pop in it instead of gas to run the car or;

2) Using Vasoline instead of oil for lubricating and cleaning the car.

Either one will ultimately destroy the car and together they are lethal.

Best to eat nourishing foods ( forget about calories), move frequently and moderately, and don't bring too much stress in your life.

It's been 35 years since I've seen a physician and still going strong. Care for your body as you would care for your car and you'll do just fine. ☺

Old 09-18-2015, 05:56 PM

722 posts, read 1,118,771 times
the couch potato can get exersise just by going shopping and parking at the far end of the parking lot and walking briskly to the grocery store, also basic house chores, like mowing the lawn, raking leaves, washing the car, trimming the bushes, giving the dog a bath, shoveling snow in the winter.

or just walking the dog everyday.

rigorous workouts are not necessary

Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 AM

10,747 posts, read 8,567,255 times
Genetics come first.... if you are predisposed to high cholesterol and heart problems the only way to avoid problems as you age is to basically eat a very low fat, moderate carbohydrate (with a focus on low glycemic carbohydrates) , almost vegan but maybe with lean meats and fish type diet. It doesn't matter if you are thin if you have bad genes and eat a standard american diet you will clog up eventually. Contrary to what the paleo people will tell you, meats will clog you up if you are genetically predisposed... some can handle limitless amounts of fat/cholesterol and never have problems... there's no one diet that works for everyone.

If you have good genes, any bodybuilder will tell you that diet is 80% of the equation, and they are right... a person who eats healthy will likely have fewer problems than a thin exerciser who eats junk food. Look at the way bodybuilders eat and emulate them... they pretty much know what works.

The biggest advancement in treating heart conditions will be the advent of ever higher resolution CT scanners... with the new 640 slice scanners that are out there which will eventually become 1200+ slice you'll be able to image the entire heart with very little radiation finding even the smallest blockages and can get this done every 5 years as preventive measure... no more stress tests and other relatively inaccurate tests.... of course they will want to charge a bunch of money to pay for these expensive scanners so for now you have to settle for a calcium score.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-19-2015 at 08:42 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 02:28 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,697,971 times
I know people who lived into late 90's who had been sedantary all life. Never heard anyone eating junk food living that old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness