Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 03:49 PM

153 posts, read 244,838 times

Advertisements

I always buy contacts from a place where i always bought glasses/contacts. The last time i bought contacts from them was few months ago and they had no issue of ordering it and me not having to get another eye exam.

I also read that walgreen and online sites actually sell contact lenses and they cost less than getting them at the store. However, they require a prescription. Does anyone know how much it would cost to go to a place and just get the prescription so i could purchase the same contacts later on? The thing is i have very bad vision but over 2 years ago i was told by the eye doctor that even though my eyes continuously get worst every year they won't change my biomedics prescription as its already very high.

Can someone explain how this process works so i could order contacts online and have it shipped to me? I could of course go back to the same glasses/contact store to do eye test and buy new contacts but i would want to have a prescription so say in a year or so when i run out, then i can order contacts myself but do it online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
I buy mine from here. The prices are great. I can see they have your brand. They have deals, especially if you call and ask them. I have not checked Walgreens. I go get an exam, get the prescription, and fax it to them. How long a prescription lasts depends on your state, either 1 or 2 years. My lenses are disposable, and I ask the doc to write for every 2 weeks change, but I can usually wear them longer, which gives me about 2 years worth. I buy the full year's worth all at once so the prescription doesn't expire before I get all of them.

You might consider a different eye doctor. I have a very high prescription so I had to change brands. Some brands have very large ranges. A good doc should know this.

Search Results - biomedics

Old 10-09-2015, 06:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
In TX the prescription is good for one year. I know it varies by state though. I had to scan the prescription to order lenses online. I won't recommend the last place I ordered from because it took weeks to get the lenses. I wear gas permeable lenses which have to be custom made, so I expected some delay, but it took much longer than anticipated.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:26 AM

153 posts, read 244,838 times
Does anyone know what is the fastest way to get contacts fast assuming the place you get them normally will have to order it? I spoke to them and they said it will take about 1 week to receive the contacts after i come and do eye test and order it.

Doesn't walgreens have basically almost every contact lense in stock? Does anyone know they have the strongest prescription availabale as well? I been using the same prescritpion for many years already mainly because few years ago i was told by optometrist even though my eyes keep getting worst, they won't give me higher prescription.

The thing is since i need contact lenses very fast, isn't a way to do this go and get an eye exam only... then i get the contact lenses prescription, then i bring it to walgreens or rite aid then i would probably get it in same day? I assume this way would cost more though right since a contact lense prescription cost 100 dollars i believe? When i buy contacct lenses from the place where i do, they dont cost me anything for eye exam assuming i buy contact lenses from them but thing is i need it fast and not a week.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:01 PM

My eye doc doesn't carry stock, only samples. He didn't even have the sample for my strength, though. Even big places like Costco or Wal-Mart don't carry much stock, and never anything out of the most common lenses.

Seriously, faxing the Rx to an online place like the one I mentioned only took 2 days. On the site under FAQ's it says if they get the Rx from you, they ship within 24 hours.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 PM

Just heard about an online Rx for eyeglasses or contacts!

https://www.opternative.com

Old 10-13-2015, 09:49 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
You can usually pay for faster shipping for the contact lenses, even at the place you usually order them from. A couple of times I had to pay for overnight shipping so that I didn't have to go several days without lenses.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:50 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,887 times
A reputable eye doctor will not renew your contact lens prescription without a periodic eye exam. Maybe every year or every other year? Something like that. So, every once in a while you have to pay for an eye exam. Probably not a bad idea.

As for buying contacts without a prescription? There used to be at least one online site that would sell you contacts so long as you said you had a prescription. That's all they needed. Most online sites, though, will want to see the prescription.

Alternatively, you could take a trip overseas to a place that doesn't require a prescription for contacts. When I lived in Thailand and needed new contacts (I wear the disposable type), I just dropped into the local optical store and told them what I wanted. I was out the door with more contacts in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness