Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:37 PM

62 posts, read 68,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Tell him to bring a book and wait for you.
A book? You are definitely older

I looked around at everyone holding their text devices up to their noses. A nurse or (rarely) the doctor would come to the waiting room and call out a name only to hear cricket noises because no one was paying attention. Sometimes it was only after clapping and raising her voice to a shriek that someone would be roused from their device and notice that they were being called. The medical folks did not like that. A couple of the older nurses looked like the type who wanted to grab an ear of the person who didn't answer and say "why did you make me have to repeat myself? I don't like that one bit."

I did take a book and was thanked by the nurse when I bolted from my chair the first time I heard my name being called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 02:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
Thank you everyone. Tells me I am not so far off to be wanting this. I am going to call this place tomorrow and make sure what their policy is. When I took my friend for his hand surgeries, they suggested I leave and they'd call. I just didn't feel right doing that. I'd stay with anyone who asked me to go with them.

When DFiL was having surgery I sat with DStepMiL; another time I sat with DSisiL when DMiL was having surgery and we went to cafeteria right down the hallway and ate. Maybe those of us who are doing these things are a dying breed.

Wasn't sure I wanted to put this out there...but it is just a colonoscopy. Maybe this will change some of your opinions on the matter. But I have a great deal of anxiety anyway. Also I have an issue with my plumbing, sometimes it doesn't work properly. And another health concern that has not popped up the whole time I've been married to DH, but could at any time. So I'd sure feel better if he was there. If they want someone to stay I will have to make other plans or I will just tell him he has no choice.

I did search for it here and there are a couple ways they do this, not always totally out but sometimes completely...I know I should not be this scared but I am. He is going for hand xrays and procedures in another town and I will be there for him. I couldn't not do it.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:50 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
I think it all boils down to how comfortable you are with medical procedures. If it helps you feel better to have a loved one waiting for you the entire time then I hope your spouse will wait.

As far as the colonoscopy, thats probably a topic for another thread, but I do recommend being knocked out entirely. If they have to do a biospy you dont want to be awake for it. There is no point in being awake, IMHO...and it is true that the prep is the worst of the procedure.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
You don't say what HE has had to say about this. I can imagine a few scenarios:
1. Did you tell him what was happening and he just assumed it was okay for him to go to work, and you haven't said otherwise because you feel silly doing so?
2. Did you ask him to stay and he said he'd rather go to work? Or HAD to go to work?
3. Have you told him this is really important to you and he blew you off? If that is the case, you are not likely to change his mind by asking us what we think.

But yes, if you are going under, he SHOULD stay with you the entire time. IMHO you are within your marital rights to ask this of him. You would do it if the roles were reversed.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I have had back surgery {hospital} and several foot surgeries {outpatient clinic} and never expected or wanted anyone to wait there the whole time.

I always told my ride to go get something to eat, get some shopping done, or go home. When it was a hospital, come back whenever they tell you I will be waking up or in my room, the outpatient clinic, call them and tell them when to pick me up. "She will be ready to go in 30 minutes."

What is the surgeon going to do if something goes wrong? Run out to the waiting room, drag your friend/relative into the surgery, slap a scalpel in their hand and ask them to help?

As far as the requirement that someone stay with you for 24 hours after you get home? I lied and said I did.

Every single person I knew would have had to miss a day of work to stay with me. I did not ask them to do that as I was capable of managing on my own.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
It depends on the type of procedure. Simple outpatient - no, I don't expect dh to wait. Although when I did my colonoscopy earlier this year, the clinic wanted the patient to have their transportation waiting the entire time.

When I had minor brain surgery 6 years ago, yes, I wanted dh to stick around. That was in a major hospital, though, so he could wander around - go to the dining room, etc.

On the same note, I don't expect - or want him with me during the operation prep. During that time I am focused on following directions - putting on the hospital gown, answering medical questions. I don't want to worry about dh, whether he is comfortable/bored, etc. Ditto when I am in recovery. When I am awake/dressed, and ready to go, then the medical staff brings him back.

I have had a few operations/procedures. The medical staff is good. If they need dh for something, they can call him on his cell phone.
What if the patient was using a taxi as transportation?

Sounds like a good way to discourage people from have a colonoscopy.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What if the patient was using a taxi as transportation?

Sounds like a good way to discourage people from have a colonoscopy.
Taxis are not allowed for colonoscopies or anybother procedure using sedation of any kind. They want you to be safe. A taxi isnt safe.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Taxis are not allowed for colonoscopies or anybother procedure using sedation of any kind. They want you to be safe. A taxi isnt safe.
So, if you do not have a friend to drive you.....no colonoscopy for you?

Old 10-18-2015, 05:00 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Well, you might try hiring someone through a service like Care.com.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, yes. The clinics in my area really hold the line about needing a person to pick you up and stay with you for 24 hours. A taxi can't even pretend to do that. If I were in that situation, I would look for a volunteer - from Senior Services if I were a Senior. Or maybe contact a training program for nurses/nurse aides to see if I could hire one of their students for the day. A taxi really can't be responsible for you medically.

Having said that, my dh has been my transportation after my colonoscopy and other procedures. He takes the day off, brings me home, and then spends the rest of the day doing home projects. So he's available if I need him. The next day he goes back to work, even if it hasn't been 24 hours.

And, after the colonoscopy, my dh took me out for lunch at my favorite restaurant. I take him out after his colonoscopies! It's a post procedure treat for whichever one of us has undergone the Great Purge! A taxi wouldn't do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness