Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:39 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with a synovial cyst at L4/L5. My HMO insisted on the usual list of conventional treatments before greenlighting surgery, so it was about four months from the first searing pain until the cyst was removed.

The cyst was hard against the nerve root for my left leg. I am left with weakness in that leg and I still have sharp searing pain, which my neurosurgeon tells me may take quite some time to go away since nerves heal slowly. I'm just hoping it *does* heal and it's not permanent.

I have noticed, since the surgery, a couple of things that seem unusual to me:

1. If I'm not having pain at the moment (during the day it comes and goes), I can cause it just by thinking about it. Obviously I try not to think about it!

2. I almost always have pain at night. It wakes me up around 4 am. It won't stop until I get out of bed and walk around for about 10-15 minutes.

3. As it happened, today was a very good day for me with much excitement and happiness. I have had no pain at all since getting out of bed this morning. To get through a day without pain hasn't happened since this whole thing started.

Clearly the pain is tied some way into my emotional state, but how? How do I find out more about this?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 10:03 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
When you are upset, you probably tense up your muscles in your back. The sciatic nerve goes from your back down your leg, and this may be causing the pain. A physical therapist could show you some simple stretches that might help. I've had this same thing, and it REALLY is painful, and I hope you can get help with it.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:36 PM

373 posts, read 482,368 times
There's a possibility that the nerve was damaged during the operation. If the pain is unbearable, you might benefit from Gabapentin or Lyrica.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:11 AM

You observe correctly that gabapentin and Lyrica (pregabalin) are the only known effective meds for nerve pain. (Although muscle relaxants like tizanidine do help me, up to a point.)

If the pain gets much worse I will try gabapentin. I'm afraid of the side effects and the "breaking-in" period of profound dizziness while the body is getting used to the drug.

What interests me, though, is the mental and emotional connection to pain. For example, while typing the first sentence above, I had a sharp pang. When I looked away and concentrated on something else, the pain went away.

I freely admit I don't know much about brain chemistry but I wonder if an antidepressant might be effective, or at least more effective than a narcotic.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:21 AM

So as soon as I posted the previous comment I searched on "neuralgia antidepressant". Lo and behold, antidepressants actually ARE utilized in the treatment of chronic pain even when the pt isn't depressed.

I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel here, a bit at a time.

Of course every drug has its own list of side effects. The trick is finding one you can live with.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
I had lumbar surgery in 2010 to remove a ruptured disc. I now have permanent nerve damage and weakness in my left leg. I have been taking 600mg of Gabapentin daily since the surgery. It helps a lot. Last night I forgot to take it at bedtime and was awakened by what I call "fireworks" in my leg. I had to get up and go take my pill.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You observe correctly that gabapentin and Lyrica (pregabalin) are the only known effective meds for nerve pain. (Although muscle relaxants like tizanidine do help me, up to a point.)

If the pain gets much worse I will try gabapentin. I'm afraid of the side effects and the "breaking-in" period of profound dizziness while the body is getting used to the drug.

What interests me, though, is the mental and emotional connection to pain. For example, while typing the first sentence above, I had a sharp pang. When I looked away and concentrated on something else, the pain went away.

I freely admit I don't know much about brain chemistry but I wonder if an antidepressant might be effective, or at least more effective than a narcotic.
When I started taking gabapentin, I had a week of sleepiness. I was worried about how I'd manage if I was that sleepy all the time, but after that week it went away.

Gabapentin is not a narcotic, you don't get addicted to it and there aren't withdrawal symptoms (except feeling your nerve pain when you're not used to it anymore) like there are with narcotics. Interestingly, narcotics do not help my nerve pain.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I had lumbar surgery in 2010 to remove a ruptured disc. I now have permanent nerve damage and weakness in my left leg. I have been taking 600mg of Gabapentin daily since the surgery. It helps a lot. Last night I forgot to take it at bedtime and was awakened by what I call "fireworks" in my leg. I had to get up and go take my pill.
Typically, though, are you able to sleep uninterrupted if you take your pill?

That would be a big improvement for me. Some nights my sleep is broken up into three parts.

I am sorry about your nerve damage. My NP prescribed water therapy to help with the leg weakness but I haven't started it yet.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:01 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Hubby had hernia surgery and one of the stitches when THROUGH a nerve in his abdomen....the pain was awful...gabapentin truly helped. He only had to take it for a few months....for 99% of the time, he has no issues now!!!

Old 10-19-2015, 02:20 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Typically, though, are you able to sleep uninterrupted if you take your pill?

That would be a big improvement for me. Some nights my sleep is broken up into three parts.

I am sorry about your nerve damage. My NP prescribed water therapy to help with the leg weakness but I haven't started it yet.
Yes, I can sleep through the night and wake up easily in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness