U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 PM

4,327 posts, read 963,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The other thing that might help when you have a bad chest cold is albuterol syrup, which is available by prescription only, but works very well. My dad's doctor prescribes it for him every time he gets a cold, so we've got quite a stock built up.
Thanks, I'll definitely look into albuterol syrup. Most people don't realize how difficult it is to have Asthma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 06:41 PM

34,692 posts, read 44,068,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
Yes I'm using a prescription called Asmanex, is Advair a better option?
Advair isn't an emergency inhaler, it's maintenance one which you take every day. It cuts down on the use of emergency inhalers (or it's supposed to).

http://www.drugs.com/advair.html

Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 PM

I use both one for maintenance and a rescue inhaler. I'll talk to my doctor about other options.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 PM

74 posts, read 73,274 times
I use Advair for preventative and Ventolin (albuterol) for emergency. As long as I take the Advair regularly, I never have to use the Ventolin. But if I run out or forget it for a couple of doses, then I start having trouble. I've been very happy with Advair.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:03 PM

Advair sounds great! I'll definitely ask my doctor about it.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:14 PM

I do use a rescue inhaler (albuterol) most of the time when I'm having breathing problems, usually when exercising.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:32 PM

18,358 posts, read 22,231,872 times
You have a Sacramento address, and don't you ever travel south towards the Border? Once there, cross at San Ysidro, there's at least a half-dozen pharmacies there to greet you, (no need to go into downtown Tijuana) where you don't need a prescription, unless it's a controlled substance. And, no, you don't need a passport either!

I've got asthma, COPD and I haven't bought meds in this country for 22 years, nor bother with prescriptions. Generic Ventolin (Salbutamol) will run you 3 for $12 or $14, even cheaper in Algodones. I recently bought 3 Combivents there for the price of my co-pay up here, $135

If Primatene Mist is not available here, it may be available in Mexico.

My guess is to why this medication is no long available, over-the-counter, has to do with our health care system in this country, treating everybody like they're 5 year-olds, where you must ask "Daddy" for a prescription. It all about money!

The Filipino's I work with are aghast at your health care system in this country. Like Mexico, back in their home country, you can merely walk to any pharmacy and buy you want, no prescription needed. No asking for permission from "Daddy"!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-22-2015 at 11:48 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 02:33 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,978,015 times
I miss benzedrine inhalers.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:35 AM

9,908 posts, read 17,795,517 times
I don't have problems any more, TG, but when I did primatene was the only thing that worked. Years ago I was on an rx one called Alupent and it worked pretty well for awhile but as time went on I was noticing that I was using it more and more. Friends and coworkers were really starting to notice too--when I went to lunch I'd have to take it and at the end I noticed I was using it every 10 minutes. The doc was giving me trouble about it and acting like I was abusing it but I just wanted to breathe! Finally it got to where I was running out before the end of the month and doc wouldn't prescribe it any more often than that and so one night I couldn't breathe and got up at 3:00 am and ran to the grocery store and bought primatene and used it--and then in the morning--and then not for another year! I dumped that doctor lickety pronto--he just kept trying to prescribe more drugs rather than find out why I was needing to use alupent so much.

So no, I don't miss primatene but only b/c I no longer need any inhaler. I am furious that they took it off the market though.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You have a Sacramento address, and don't you ever travel south towards the Border? Once there, cross at San Ysidro, there's at least a half-dozen pharmacies there to greet you, (no need to go into downtown Tijuana) where you don't need a prescription, unless it's a controlled substance. And, no, you don't need a passport either!

I've got asthma, COPD and I haven't bought meds in this country for 22 years, nor bother with prescriptions. Generic Ventolin (Salbutamol) will run you 3 for $12 or $14, even cheaper in Algodones. I recently bought 3 Combivents there for the price of my co-pay up here, $135

If Primatene Mist is not available here, it may be available in Mexico.

My guess is to why this medication is no long available, over-the-counter, has to do with our health care system in this country, treating everybody like they're 5 year-olds, where you must ask "Daddy" for a prescription. It all about money!

The Filipino's I work with are aghast at your health care system in this country. Like Mexico, back in their home country, you can merely walk to any pharmacy and buy you want, no prescription needed. No asking for permission from "Daddy"!
That's a great idea about buying meds in Mexico. I have relatives in San Diego I'd like to see as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness