U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 02:46 AM

4,327 posts, read 963,880 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyone's input, It helped a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 04:59 PM

5,074 posts, read 5,012,734 times
The new Primatene Mist is back on the market without prescription.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:29 AM

9,528 posts, read 5,900,099 times
The OP would be better served by finding an allergist who will formulate an asthma action plan to get his asthma under control and keep it controlled.

There are more effective medications on the market today than ever before. Controlling asthma usually takes a multi-pronged approach. I'd ditch the Primatene Mist for starters.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:40 PM

2,938 posts, read 875,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Does taking a 12-hour sudafed pill before you go to bed help you? That's what works the best for me, even though it's not as convenient to buy sudafed as it used to be.

Doesn't sudafed keep you awake at night?

Old 02-07-2020, 09:51 PM

456 posts, read 209,150 times
No one recommends Primatene Mist for long-term use.

This thread is old. A lot has changed in the past year. We know have generic Albuterol inhalers, Advair, and as of the end of January generic Symbicort.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:59 PM

10,515 posts, read 6,935,537 times
In 50 years I never recommended Primatine Mist. Not a great product.

But, it's still manufactured. I just saw some at Walgreens and joked with the pharmacist about it

Go see your Doc

Old 02-13-2020, 04:11 AM

3,370 posts, read 1,323,066 times
Advantages of Primatene Mist: it's OTC, so you can self-diagnose and self medicate.

Disadvantages of Primatene Mist: it's OTC so you can self diagnose and self medicate.

Asthma (sudden onset of wheezing & SOB) doesn't just pop up in adults without a prior history. If that's happened to you, go get medical care. It's more likely your problem has to do with tumors or CHF than classic asthma.

Primatene is epinephrine (Adrenalin) and is easily absorbed into your system. If you suffer cardiac arrest and have been intubated but they can't get an IV line going, they can squirt epinephrine down the trach tube to get your heart going again, for instance.

Biggest disadvantage of Primatene over prescription inhalers is it's short half-life. It's all cleared out in an hour, while the prescription types last 3-12 hrs.

There are many dangerous reasons not to use Primatene Mist-- mostly if you have heart or neuro problems: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/primatene-...e-effects.html

OTOH- for most people, an occasional hit the stuff is OK...I never heard of anybody dying from it.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:17 AM

288 posts, read 607,227 times
I grew up with asthma, but I have mainly grown out of it. But last year I got a bad cough that I could not shake and I was thinking of getting an inhaler to help. At that time no one had Primatene Mist. I was out of state/country so I could not call up my doctor. It took about 6 weeks to get totally over it and I believe if I could have found some Primatene Mist it would have helped. It was at a point I had to choose between talking or breathing.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:41 AM

3,802 posts, read 1,604,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I use other inhalers, but they don't help as well as PM. I still wake up barely breathing, chest tightness, wheezing, coughing and everything. Any suggestions?
Yep, I loved those inhalers, the doctors gave me a nebulizer for home use and some other small inhaler that is filled with a powder.
I only use them on occasion.
Nebulizer machines are cheap, I didn't pay, retired medicare and all.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

9,528 posts, read 5,900,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Yep, I loved those inhalers, the doctors gave me a nebulizer for home use and some other small inhaler that is filled with a powder.
I only use them on occasion.
Nebulizer machines are cheap, I didn't pay, retired medicare and all.
I have two nebulizers. The second one I paid $40 for out-of-pocket. Worth it to have as a backup.

Daily neb use with sodium chloride solution 7% has dramatically improved my asthma symptoms and reduced my dependency on Symbicort from 2 puffs twice a day to 2 puffs once a day. I barely use albuterol.

It probably helps that I no longer have a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness