Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:12 AM

381 posts, read 277,830 times

Advertisements

My wife and i are currently suffering from a cold and it got me thinking why have pharmacists not been able to find a "cure"?.My thought is that big pharma probably can/have a cure but do not want to lose all the billions of income from the various "remedies"available on the shelves.None of which work.What do you think?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
I cant think of any cure you would find at the pharmacy>only medication to control and prolong an illness.

Healthy people don't generate as much money as sick people.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:00 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
A cold is caused by viruses, and by your body responding to the viruses. There are many different cold viruses. Cold viruses change slightly as they are passed around, so they never stay exactly the same. So it is almost impossible to stop a cold virus.

On the other hand, colds rarely kill anyone. If they did there would be no people to spread the viruses. They are called self-limiting diseases, meaning they stop short of killing you, thank goodness. The only way to minimize the effects of a cold are to be healthy when you get one so that your body is strong enough to have reduced symptoms.

Put a different way, it would cost many billions of dollars to find a cure for even a few of the versions of cold viruses. And that might be impossible anyway. All that can be done is to help you feel better while it runs through its cycle in your body.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
Use the OTC stuff to make you feel a bit better...a cold will pass in about 10 days......that's all you can do!

If you come into contact with the exact same cold virus, you won't catch it the 2nd time....but it's true that the virus mutates so fast, it's seldom one you've had before.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:55 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,957,969 times
There is a cure. Simple. Don't go where you might catch a cold. Leave if someone is coughing. Wash your hands.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:18 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
There is a cure. Simple. Don't go where you might catch a cold. Leave if someone is coughing. Wash your hands.
^ I don't believe that. I think it is all about keeping your body in check, getting enough sleep and eating healthy to keep your immune system good.

I rarely get sick, and I am not a hand washing fanatic. I refuse to use that anti bacteria stuff.

Last I checked there is not list that tells you not to go to catch a cold, germs are everywhere. I believe it is about how healthy your immune system is.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,551,091 times
The virus for a cold germinates on your sinus. Studies have show if you cleanse your sinus twice a day with a saline solution you will kill any virus before it can germinate. My father-in-law has done this for many years due to a immune issue and he hasn't had a single cold since.

On a related note, I had to start using a CPAP machine 6 years ago and I use a nose air passage only mask. It scrubs my sinuses and I went from 4-6 colds a year to not having one since I started using the CPAP. My PCP tells me this is common for CPAP users to never have colds for the same reason- it keeps the sinuses clear and clean.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:15 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
My wife and i are currently suffering from a cold and it got me thinking why have pharmacists not been able to find a "cure"?.My thought is that big pharma probably can/have a cure but do not want to lose all the billions of income from the various "remedies"available on the shelves.None of which work.What do you think?.

Watch this:

https://www.rt.com/shows/documentary...g-illness-340/

We had a proverb in our medical field back in 'ol country.
Common cold cures itself in 7 days when not treated.
When treated, common cold is cured - in 7 days.
I also have MSc in Phar back from there and been to several pharmaceutical factories. I'd say, I'd rather not be taking in, what they produce, considering what chemicals are involved in production. Pure toxins is definitely not a term enough to describe them.

Last edited by Jeo123; 10-21-2015 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Merged Posts

Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 AM

593 posts, read 668,707 times
Allow yourself plenty of fresh air year round and getting sick will be rare. I used to get colds 5-6 times a year when i lived in NY since i was always couped up for months on end. Now that i live in Florida i might get 1 a year tops since i am active outside year round. Obviously this is easier for us in the south than the north though. Cold germs breed like crazy in shut in environments (windows closed with heat on for 5 months), that is why it is important to get outside and get fresh air.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:22 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,810,245 times
As mentioned, colds are not life threatening, just annoying and I'd rather have money spent researching cures and treatments for things that will kill you instead.

Even when I have a cold, which is rare, I don't take any medicine. I don't medicate my kids either. If the coughing is terribly bad, I use pure honey and it works great. Big Pharma isn't finding a cure for the cold to force you to use their products, they use advertising to make you *think* you NEED their products when you don't. It's just a cold. Stay hydrated, get some vitamin C, take honey as needed and ride it out. With or without meds, you'll be fine in a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness